Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me start by saying that I love the idea of a Legend of Drizzt (LoD) board game. I assume that a lot of Drizzt fans wished to play the character but didn't get a chance. In a traditional D&D game, a player usually prefers to play his/her own character and develop him/her. Playing a fully described personality would put the player into a confined space as he/she would need to act in a manner in accordance with the existing character. Aside from that, I imagine that the response of your fellow gamers to your Drizzt-clone character would be a mixture of rolling eye movement, sighs and some obscene expressions.

Now the board game comes into play. Without the element of roleplay, this game delivers a great chance for all fans to play their fictional heroes without any drawbacks. Great!

As I expect this game to sell better than Castle Ravenloft (CR) and Wrath of Ashardalon (WoA) due to a greater customer base (needless to say, I don't know any figures or how well the games are doing from a company standpoint). While CR and WoA appeal to board gamers and might awake curiosity in D&D players, LoD will interest the aforementioned people along with fantasy fans that love the novels (like one of my work mates who doesn't play D&D but loves to hear about the release of new Drizzt books) and possibly even D&D roleplayers that ignored the previously released CR and WoA and collectors alike.

With this potential for financial success and a customer base wanting more of the same, it would seem ideal to start the development of scenario packs, wouldn't it?
What I'm thinking about is not a full-sized board game but something more along the lines of this:
- a box about roughly a quarter the size of CR, WoA, LoD
- it would come with around 15 tiles unique to the scenario
- it would include two or three new heroes of the Drizzt series
- it would contain two or three villains associated with that scenario

Just imagine the opportunity for customization! While the D&D Adventure System highly favours a dungeon setting to an outdoor setting, these smaller expansions could give you access to tiles in the way that chambers did in WoA. How about 15 tiles of a sinister forest (with open patches but also "corridors" with thick trees and bushes instead of walls)? An icy scenario with a frozen river (with special hazard rules) and a cave? Tiles to depict a drow building in Menzoberranzan? One could combine the existing dungeon tiles with these specialized tiles for interesting adventures. A forest path leading to a dark cave, navigating the corridors of the underdark to enter the drow enclave and many more. It would add a nice variety to the dungeon-crawling (in a thematic way - the game type wouldn't change too much).

As an example of a possible expansion pack, the most recent Drizzt novel "Gauntlgrym" would work just beautifully (WARNING, massive SPOILERS following about the book - don't continue to read if you intend to read the book and haven't done so as yet).

In the book, Drizzt and Bruenor team up with Jarlaxle and the dwarf Athrogate while Drizzt also meets the mysterious elf fighter Dhalia. The explore the legendary dwarven site, battle some fearsome foes and calm a primordial (akin in power to a deity).

The box could include the following:

- tiles depicting key scenes of Gauntlgrym such as the dwarven throne room, the furnace, the chamber with the primordial and tiles for the locations of the water control that will keep the primordial trapped in Gauntlgrym

- new hero: Jarlaxle (possibly a villain in LoD) is very opportunistic and could be given a hero card as he sometimes fights on Drizzt's side. I know I'd love to play Jarlaxle, and developing his powers and items... that would be so much fun!
- new hero: Dahlia. The elf is an addition to the new novels her inclusion into the game may even translate into an increase in book sales. Moreover, she's a female hero which is something the LoD series is rather short on
- Athrogate, the dwarf - ok, he'd be another fighter, and he's probably most interesting for his demeanor and character rather than a unique fighting style
- Pwent, the battlerager - another dwarf, but his one would be special. For those who don't know the books or D&D at all, Pwent is a fearsome bodyguard to King Bruenor and doesn't carry any weapons aside from his armor. This, however, is covered in sharp ridges and spikes with a massive spike protruding from his helmet, and Pwent fights by throwing himself onto enemies and twisting like a maniac. Interesting mechanics that would be different to the existing fighters Vistra and Arjhan.

- new villains: in the book, the heroes encounter (amongst others) a lich and a pit fiend. I believe that minis already exist for both of them, and they'd surely make nice additions

- an adventure booklet. Ideas (likely for a short campaign) could include the activation of the water elements (they could be monsters) that channel the water from a nearby sea to trap the primordial; finding the chamber with the primordial, fighting through the pit fiend while dealing with lava traps and defeating the primordial with a series of successful rolls similar to those needed when dealing with Klak's artifact in CR; finding the legendary dwarven forge that would result in an upgrade of the heroes' equipment etc....

Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info! Dwarven ruins sound great. So aside from the Companions of the Hall, I'm already looking forward to explore the ruins with the dwarven trio of Bruenor, Vistra and Thorgrim. Now, Mr. Lee, if you'd be so kind to design us a nice looking Pwent mini along with board game stats.... whistle Who says that there can't be more than five heroes within one game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Gleason
United States
Asheville
North Carolina (NC)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be great to do expansions for all the core games like CR, WoA, etc. This would allow WoTC to clean up some things like add GP values to the items in CR and spice up the older games with the newer mechanics. Another aspect that expansions would allow for is further advancement. They could make new cards to allow the 5 heros to advance up to level 4 or even higher. I would really love to see WoTC create more features that favor Campaign play and character advancement above level 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zom Bee
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that I would now rather see small expansion packs...in the $5-15 range.

part of the reason I'd rather see small expansions is that I now have no room for another of these monster d&d adventure game boxes on my shelf!!!

- Decks or booster packs of chambers cards that mix monsters from both sets. (add icons for which sets they are compatible with for easy sorting)

- Small packs of chamber tiles ( dire caverns?)

- Small adventure books with interesting dynamics (like the ravenloft witch scenario)

- Small monster/villain packs (in fact, the heroscape d&d line they just shelved would have been a perfect way to release these...maybe they could make hero/villain/monster/chamber cards to go with those existing waves?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Gleason
United States
Asheville
North Carolina (NC)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully soon, we will have some more information about this game. The question for me though is, will it have a new mechanic like WoA added chambers, doors, and gold piece value to treasure items.

Who knows, they may eventually start putting different difficulties on these games based on the number of mechanics the game provides. I would imagine at some point soon, that heroes will have the ability to advance higher than level 2. This would truly need to be added to really give the campaign sort of feel and progression to the games. But as I mentioned before, maybe this would be best suited by including levels 3-4 advancement in expansion packs.

Come on WOTC, give us some news soon about LoD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to see a large box release of Eberron and Dark Sun down the road some time in 2012 or 2013. I do think that smaller box expansions that include scenarios, tiles, and additional monster/character cards would be a lot of fun to see, too. WotC has a great model to work with now that Ravenloft and Ashardalon were successful, but WotC makes some odd decisions at times. Only time will tell if they will continue to expand and grow this board game line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.