Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tronia
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first post here. Picked up CC recently because I was considering getting back in to ASL (after almost 16 years) and try to convince a friend but didn't want to scare him off...so thought I'd try this one first. Different from ASL, but still a great/fun game.

Question is: If and order/action/event calls for a roll but the result of any roll is an obvious outcome should you still make a roll to progress a possible event trigger?

Oh, just finished Hedgerows and Hand Grenades. The key is artillery. The Americans were just treading water and getting slowly eroded until I got some arty requests. The German left flank wilted like Velveeta in the Arizona sun. Without some arty luck I fear it would be a near impossibility to take enough objectives or pile up enough German casualties to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beyak
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
Combat Commander gets your blood flowing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you still make the roll for the reason you stated as well as advancing the "clock".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll also point out that sometimes you might perform such an order knowing the rolls will be no effect. This is done to "burn" cards and move them through your deck (advance the clock as was stated). This is a good tactic when you're ahead and want the game to end on time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
...and what a bummer it is if it is your deck and you see an Ambush or Advance card disappear into the discard pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
ObrGrp wrote:
Question is: If and order/action/event calls for a roll but the result of any roll is an obvious outcome should you still make a roll to progress a possible event trigger?

If the rules say "make a die roll", then you make a die roll. The rules don't say "make a die roll only if it's possible the outcome could go either way".

If you follow the general principle that the rules mean what they say, then you'll be playing correctly 99.99% of the time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Wehrenberg
United States
Unspecified
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
I'll also point out that sometimes you might perform such an order...

I'll go ya one further and say, Sometimes you want to make a LOT of such orders! (when you're on Defense!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
In general, it's nearly always in one player's interest to run through the deck trying to get Turn Marker advances while the other player's interest is to slow it down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tronia
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies. It only makes sense by I wanted to get some other opinions. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
The best way to burn your deck is to activate a leader with a fire order - the more units and weapons with him, the better. Then execute a fire action with each piece against any available targets. You don't have great odds of taking down any units, but you will burn through cards like crazy - hopefully you'll burn at least 4 or 5 cards on rolls. Burn as many other orders as you can from your hand as well, and save defensive actions to burn those during your opponent's turn.

With any luck, you can get a Time advance every few player turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cmontgo2 wrote:
The best way to burn your deck is to activate a leader with a fire order - the more units and weapons with him, the better. Then execute a fire action with each piece against any available targets. You don't have great odds of taking down any units, but you will burn through cards like crazy - hopefully you'll burn at least 4 or 5 cards on rolls. Burn as many other orders as you can from your hand as well, and save defensive actions to burn those during your opponent's turn.

With any luck, you can get a Time advance every few player turns.

I always think of this tactic as suppressive fire, your not going to hit anything but no one is going to stick their head up either, causing them to sit tight and waste time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.