Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marshal Anderson
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm putting together a 5'x 5' gaming table top to to sit on my 3'x4' table. I want it to fold in half for storage.

Here's where I could do with suggestions - the top needs to be hinged along the top surface:

_____====0====_______

If it were hinged on the underside there'd be a danger of it folding upward if someone leaned hard on the edge.

The above diagram shows (sort of) that I'd have the spindle of the hinge sticking up on the surface of the table - reversing the hinge would stop the table folding properly in half.

More complexity comes from the fact that I want to build it out of block-board - a sandwich of thin surface wood and very soft centre wood. This is because it's string but light. But, when I sink the hinge into the surface I'm likely to be screwing straight into the soft centre wood which won't have a lot of strength.

My current idea is to use counter hinges - you get these on counters where part of it has to be folded back on itself - you see that in bars and shops a lot. Problem is that these are small and only take three screws per side which may not be enough to help in the soft wood.

I can't help feeling I'm missing some obvious solution here - can someone point it out to me?

Grumbs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Ameritrash
United States
Statesboro
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
AFC
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're right to be concerned about the screws holding the wood, so here's an alternate idea:
Ditch the hinges entirely and use a piece of fabric glued onto the wood instead. Heck, if you're in a hurry and don't care what it looks like, you could even use duct tape.
The fabric, once securely glued across the top of the table will work as a hinge, will help prevent the upward bowing you're concerned about, and will have no protruberances sticking up from the surface to get in the way. As a bonus, you get to pick what ever color/pattern/texture you like.
The only trick would be picking a fabric that's not too thin or super-stretchy, and using a good adhesive to hold it down. I'd go with 3M Super 77, or similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kornhaus
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose you could try Barrel Hinges

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=270&filter=barrel%20...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshal Anderson
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TrashGameLover wrote:

Ditch the hinges entirely and use a piece of fabric glued onto the wood instead. Heck, if you're in a hurry and don't care what it looks like, you could even use duct tape.

Sounds like an idea well worth trying - I'm covering the table with felt anyway and that would go right over a cloth hinge.

Grumbs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if thus is what you need but www.leevalley.com is my goto place for woodworking tools or hardware. It family run brick and mortar chain of stores that deal in high end/quality items.

They sell card table hinge that looks interesting
http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/page.aspx?p=40208&cat=3...

My other thought would be a lift off hinge
http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/page.aspx?p=52497&cat=3...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Flux
United Kingdom
Cropwell Bishop
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
Tally Ho!
mbmbmb
Try Rutlands Tools they stock a lot of what Lee Valley have but are in the UK

a quick browse of their site found these table hinges

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/cabinet-hardware/hinges-&-stays/ta...

Half way down they have an interesting hinge for card tables that might do the trick. My only worry would be that you're making a table a bit larger than your standard green felt topped card table card and you'd have to fix these directly into the side and the softer centre layer of your board.

If you don't thing their up to the job have a look at the other hinges they do I'm sure you'll find something in their stock that will work

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Ameritrash
United States
Statesboro
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
AFC
mbmbmbmbmb
grumbletweezer wrote:
TrashGameLover wrote:

Sounds like an idea well worth trying - I'm covering the table with felt anyway and that would go right over a cloth hinge.

Grumbs

I can't imagine why it wouldn't work. I used to use this technique to join flats for theatre productions, and it's very durable. A nice wide strip of medium-weight cotton (or whatever) covered with felt should be more than adequate to handle the stress on the joint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshal Anderson
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MK-Ultra71 wrote:

They sell card table hinge that looks interesting

Ah - now that's what I've been calling a counter hinge - another search term to explore :O)

Grumbs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshal Anderson
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tadpoleface wrote:

Half way down they have an interesting hinge for card tables that might do the trick. My only worry would be that you're making a table a bit larger than your standard green felt topped card table card and you'd have to fix these directly into the side and the softer centre layer of your board.

It would make a good reinforcement for a cloth hinge though - now to find somewhere to get one for less than 30 quid ;o)

Grumbs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.