Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm you're stereotypical, on-the-fence, would-be-buyer, for this game. I have all of FFP's other games and enjoy LNOE and ToE, but I'm having trouble warming to Invasion.

This game seems to be one I might enjoy, but honestly, there's not a lot of buzz or reviews. The lack of these makes me wonder that perhaps this game isn't generating much excitement out there, which in turn makes me think this isn't going to be such a great game.

I'd love to hear more opinions....both positive and negative...before considering buying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I juggle cats.
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on my 4 plays, I like it MUCH better than AToE, but not as much as LNoE or IFOS. (Speaking of which, I'm very surprised you like LNoE and not IFOS...they're very close to being the same game).

CoPE is like the Flying Frog version of Cosmic Encounter. Less negotiation, more theme. I like it, but it's skewing a bit long for my tastes with 4p.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Herring
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to write up a full review of this soon but I have logged in a few plays now. I will start by saying the game is light and fun.
I have played two 2-player and one 3-player competitive game as well as two 2-player co-op and 2 solo games.
The competitive game is easy and fast paced. Some of the best (in my opinion) elements of the game are left out of the competitive play. I guess because they assume your fellow aliens are going to try to trounce you, and they will, but not enough to create the same sense of challenge you get with the co-op game.

The co-op game described in two words is FUN and HARD. We did not win either game and in the first game did not even get close. Bad luck had plenty to do with that. Captain Fantastic was the second human resistance token drawn and placed during set up. The humans got advanced tech on the first roll which allowed planes to “barrage” which was bad because the planes also move. This hurt us early on.

I won 1 solo game of two and no, I did not cheat. I pulled a pretty tough race that gets to make a “armor” roll for lack of a better word to avoid being killed. Pretty tough ability and getting alien menace tokens is not that tough. I rolled a couple of sixes for action points early on as well which helped.

To sum it up, the game is fun. The competitive game feels like light filler to play while getting ready to play something heavier.

The co-op game is where it shines. The added difficulty level and the way the human resistance plays makes the co-op experience much better. I am thinking of a variant to use those rules in the competitive play. When we lost I wanted to go again, which is a good sign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hill
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Dougmysticeye wrote:
The co-op game is where it shines. The added difficulty level and the way the human resistance plays makes the co-op experience much better. I am thinking of a variant to use those rules in the competitive play. When we lost I wanted to go again, which is a good sign.

No need for a Variant here. Rules for using more of the Co-op elements of the Humans can be found in the Options section at the back of the Rulebook. It's called 'Active Resistance'.

Happy Gaming!

- Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Herring
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
jchill7 wrote:
Dougmysticeye wrote:

No need for a Variant here. Rules for using more of the Co-op elements of the Humans can be found in the Options section at the back of the Rulebook. It's called 'Active Resistance'.

Happy Gaming!

- Jason

Awesome. I had not read through the variants yet. I appreciate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
We played this yesterday for the first time. A 3 player co-op game. Wow, we got out asses handed to us! It almost reminds me of Pandemic the way the resistence comes out and spreads. We're looking forward to trying it again soon.

We also played Target Earth right after, this time running the humans defending the Earth from aliens. And we got our asses handed to us again!

So no love for humans or aliens. We decided we were both inept aliens and humans.

I am a big fan of A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game. Though its more of an event game, something you enjoy like Tales of the Arabian Nights. I do like all their games since they have such great theme. I need to play this again to get a better opinion of it. Does seem to be a little heavier game then their other titles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys...I went ahead and ordered based. Based on your responses, it seems like it will be right up my alley.

This particularly hit home:
johnweldy wrote:
CoPE is like the Flying Frog version of Cosmic Encounter. Less negotiation, more theme.

I love CE, but can't get it to the table because some in my group don't like the negotiating aspect of CE. And more theme is always better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Herring
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
rcmoore4 wrote:
Thanks guys...I went ahead and ordered based. Based on your responses, it seems like it will be right up my alley.

This particularly hit home:
johnweldy wrote:
CoPE is like the Flying Frog version of Cosmic Encounter. Less negotiation, more theme.

I love CE, but can't get it to the table because some in my group don't like the negotiating aspect of CE. And more theme is always better.

I just submitted a detailed review. It should be approved soon but I don't think this game will dissapoint you. It is quite fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nunya Business
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
johnweldy wrote:
Based on my 4 plays, I like it MUCH better than AToE, but not as much as LNoE or IFOS. (Speaking of which, I'm very surprised you like LNoE and not IFOS...they're very close to being the same game).

CoPE is like the Flying Frog version of Cosmic Encounter. Less negotiation, more theme. I like it, but it's skewing a bit long for my tastes with 4p.

Old thread I know.

I had a choice between AToE and CoPE. And I chose CoPE. AToE just seems kind of dull to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PrimordialOne wrote:
johnweldy wrote:

Old thread I know.

I had a choice between AToE and CoPE. And I chose CoPE. AToE just seems kind of dull to me.

CoPE is the better of the two games. Of course, that's only my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nunya Business
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Brichs wrote:
PrimordialOne wrote:
johnweldy wrote:

Old thread I know.

CoPE is the better of the two games. Of course, that's only my opinion.

Agreed. AToE is an ok game. If you have nothing better to play. However, between the two you already know the choice I made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.