Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LASER Planning/Novice

Makes Opponent Play Blind

You have the power to blind. As main player, after you have played an encounter card face down, use this power to select an encounter card at random from your opponent's hand. He sets aside any non-encounter cards in his hand before you draw. He must play the encounter card that you draw.

HISTORY: Descended from an ancient sun-worshipping cult, the modern Lasers have learned to focus stellar power accurately enough to bedazzle any opposition. They are now embarked on a plan to spread confusion and fear among their enemies before stepping in to build a coherent Cosmos in their own image.

FLARE

Alliance
Wild: As a main player, your opponent must select his encounter card before asking for allies. The Oracle is exempt from this Flare.

Planning
Super: When not a main player, you may randomly select the encounter card one of the main players will play.

Commentary: This is a combat power originally published by Eon. This is a great power. By chance you can pick your opponent's Attack 15 or similar, but taking away your opponent's choice of card is an advantage. All the allies in the world can't help him if you pick a Negotiate. It's also nice to know how many non-encounter cards a player has.

Gerald Katz
Don't forget to tip the Butler!

(Edited to put in "use" as per Fantasy Flight)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

One of my favorites. I hope FFG eventually includes it in an expansion.

It was probably 1977 when my dad brought this game home. I remember looking through the box and picking Laser and Void as my favorite powers, even though I knew nothing about the rules. The artwork was just unbelievably cool, and I had never seen a game with anything similar.

I'm not sure of the order, but I know that my first two games of Cosmic Encounter EVER were using Laser and Void (played on the same day). I think I played Laser in the second game, but it's hard to remember 34 years back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing that picture reminds me how great the alien theming was back then. Look at them: unique, otherworldly names like Chronos and Macron and Vulch, vague and eerie stuff like Void, and only one of the originals was the name of a job that ends in -er. No comic strip or blockbuster movie references, nothing that sounds like a building instead of a creature, no names of Earth dogs or insurance or car-rental companies ... those were the days!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These were the Founding Fifteen?

Cool. Perhaps I can do themed "Old School" games where these are the only ones you can pick from.

So, no comments about how Magician is Laser given the Extreme Makeover treatment?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
And all very well balanced with each other. And they're all quite simple, one might even say "elegant".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Here's some trivia that probably nobody but me knows: the 15 powers in the original game were printed on 5 sheets of perforated stock, with 3 aliens per sheet. The expansions, however, were printed with 5 aliens per sheet.

The reason I remember this is because my set was missing 3 aliens (Virus, Chronos, and Oracle), and instead had an extra copy of 5 aliens (Miser, Gambler, Calculator, Diplomat, and Judge, which are actually from expansion #2). We got CE plus two expansions at the same time, so I didn't even notice that some were missing. It was many years before I even knew Virus, Chronos, or Oracle existed.

Veering off topic, I realize, but searching out the old picture of Laser and Void made me start reminiscing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.