Memoir '44» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Memoir '44 - The Only Collateral Damage Is Found In Your Wallet rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With all the expansions and the added rules, the game has evolved from a simple game to a more in depth one (although not as complex as some wargames on the market).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Phillips
United States
Redding
California
flag msg tools
badge
One does not simply surf into Mordor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review! Not sure if what happenned to you is the same as what happened to me (and others) but I thought I was missing river tiles also, I was not. It was just that the diagram for the first scenario shows the river section as all straight when in reality you actually use many river tiles with a slight curve in them. It still lines up all nice an pretty.

Thanks again for the timely review. I have a buddy on his way over to learn the game with me today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pugh
United States
Newton
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
m44 is a great game......plain and simple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Cochran
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed playing this game with a friend so much that I wanted to support the designer and bought my own copy. It's a great lite war game. Might even tempt some buddies who aren't wargamers to dip their toe in. Hopefully it's the gateway drug of wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leslie Taylor
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite way to describe this game is it's an army men wargame. You get a similar feeling to playing with plastic army men as a kid, but with rules and history. That's why I would rather play this than an ASL or the Commands and Colors block games.
Good review!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7.92mm FTW

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Strabala
United States
Hiawatha
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
With a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.
mbmbmbmbmb
superflypete wrote:
.30 inch = 7.62. I didn't specify case size. German K98=8mm Mauser, M1 Garand = 30-06 Springfield. Hell, even the BAR and M1 Carbine used 7.62 diameter rounds.

The 30-06 Springfield round is a 30 caliber (7.62x63mm) round with copper jacket, so yes, 7.62mm (30 caliber) FMJs did exist and were widely used in WW2.

The .30 Carbine is a 7.62x33 FMJ round.

Thanks for trying, though! :)

Hey thanks for pointing this out. I didn't realize that round was .30 cal. My apologies, I was mistaken in my understanding of the subject.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clexton27
United States
Forest
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
River tile issue was probably this one.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/620188/unable-to-play-th...

Look before you leap!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
superflypete wrote:
What Makes Memoir '44 A Nightmare:
- If you don't like luck, RUN, now

I would disagree, to a certain extent, with the luck statement - yes the game, like most, contains an element of luck with dice attacking and the cards you get, but there can be a lot of "creating your own luck" in the game. I know it's not the most in-depth tactical game but you still need to use troops correctly and can gain a lot of benefit and "luck" by doing so. Also you have to think tactically with the section cards - if you get bad ones (and I've had terrible ones, and still gone on to win to battle) then you need to set your strategy accordingly, even if it's just battening down the hatches and trying to minimise casualties until you get better cards - and the odds are that they will come as there is a fixed distribution in the sections
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Senn
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grahamj wrote:
With all the expansions and the added rules, the game has evolved from a simple game to a more in depth one (although not as complex as some wargames on the market).

can someone expand on this. what rules have changed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't he just mean that there are a lot of rules to remember with all the expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to say it, but they lost me at the Air Pack!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just couldn't understand the rules from the Air Pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slotracer wrote:
I just couldn't understand the rules from the Air Pack.

I just don't like them.

The rules come across like trying to force a square peg into a round hole. They don't fit and seem totally out of place from the core rule set.

I think air power should be abstracted with cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.