Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
37 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Three who love Risk . . . what do I pick? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
I have three friends who have only ever played Risk (checkers, etc, notwithstanding).

They really want to play one of my games, but I know them well enough to know that if the game isn't "like" Risk, at least in "feel" they will probably get bored.

So, since I've only played maybe 5% of the games that I own (I'm a collector, mostly) I would like to ask your advice.

Check out my collection and recommend what I should play with them.

Thanks,
Caleb
2 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Morgan
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Small World is the obvious choice, but I would suggest Cave Troll. I've played it a few times with friends that had similar backgrounds to your friends, and it went over very well each time. Easy to play, easy to explain and games are quick.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C K
United States
Manhasset
New York
flag msg tools
Hooray BGG!
badge
Caduceus
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
From the top of my head, I'd say games like Nexus Ops, Heroscape, and Small World (from what I've played anyway) have similar aspects to Risk. It seems that the whole attacking conflict is important to prevent their boredom?

I see that you have Small World, so I would give that a try. Battlelore might fit your needs here, but I have never played it so I can't really give my opinion on that.

From your list, Incan Gold and Cutthroat Caverns both have risk-taking elements in them that might be exciting.

7 Wonders is a great game that is accessible to all and is pretty quickly played so it might be worth trying out, since it is relatively short anyway, especially compared to Risk.

Who knows? Maybe one of these games will be their gateway game away from Risk into the world of other boardgames. Good luck and have fun!

EDIT: As I was typing this post up, rhoubhe put his in. +1 to the CaveTroll recommendation. I also wanted to add that you had a pretty nice collection of games, many of which are very good games. It would definitely be a good time to get some play time in with them closer to 100% than 5%
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTorres
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, my first suggestion would be to play your games. There's absolutely nothing wrong with collecting things, but if your interest is actually enjoying these games with others (like the question that starts this thread), then you're missing out if they're just collecting dust.

As for which games to suggest, I would recommend these two:
- Drakon: If you pitch your friends that they can play greedy, back-stabbing, double-crossing adventurers who are selfishly trying to gather enough gold to exit the dungeon. Might appeal to the competitive gamer, plus it'll expose them to an entirely brand new experience that hopefully is fun.

- Small World: If you want to pitch something that's more a Dudes on a Map style game that's very easy to explain. The twist, challenge, and fun of the game is the unexpected combinations of race and ability, as well as the unusual need to go into decline. The idea that it's the player, not the race, that will win the game, may be very appealing.

Anyhow, good luck and let us know how it goes.

Best,
A

(And get your games on the table!)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
cosmosiskwik wrote:
From the top of my head, I'd say games like Nexus Ops, Heroscape, and Small World (from what I've played anyway) have similar aspects to Risk. It seems that the whole attacking conflict is important to prevent their boredom?

I see that you have Small World, so I would give that a try. Battlelore might fit your needs here, but I have never played it so I can't really give my opinion on that.

From your list, Incan Gold and Cutthroat Caverns both have risk-taking elements in them that might be exciting.

7 Wonders is a great game that is accessible to all and is pretty quickly played so it might be worth trying out, since it is relatively short anyway, especially compared to Risk.

Who knows? Maybe one of these games will be their gateway game away from Risk into the world of other boardgames. Good luck and have fun!

EDIT: As I was typing this post up, rhoubhe put his in. +1 to the CaveTroll recommendation. I also wanted to add that you had a pretty nice collection of games, many of which are very good games. It would definitely be a good time to get some play time in with them closer to 100% than 5%


Yeah. The simplest answer that I have for my low play percentage is that I am . . . Odd.

I LOVE games, the idea of games, buying games, and reading about games. But, my life-circles do not put me in game-playing circumstances very often.

I hit a con or fest annually, but that is about it. Work, school, food, sleep, Internet and READING take up so much time, and I can do most of that stuff alone.

One Day!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Los 28
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try the "Risk Revised" edition. Its obviously similar but with a nice twist. (Or maybe Castle Risk).


Do you own Axis & Allies ?? Make extra photo copies of the rules, and send them home with a copy after playing Risk Revised. Tell them that they have homework, and that next time you expect them to have read the rules, so that you can play the game on your next meet.

PS: Caleb, you look young from your picture. Dont worry, you have many years ahead of you. You will find "gaming" friends or local game groups later in life, and then you could enjoy your collection. Dont rush life .. enjoy it !
whistle
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Butler
United States
Hughesville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CalebSkye wrote:

Check out my collection and recommend what I should play with them.


Looks like it's time to go shopping.

Since you are already going 'hard core' into BGGness you might as well pick up



A very good game and really, should be a basic piece in any collection.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
moonglum01 wrote:
CalebSkye wrote:

Check out my collection and recommend what I should play with them.


Looks like it's time to go shopping.

Since you are already going 'hard core' into BGGness you might as well pick up



A very good game and really, should be a basic piece in any collection.


I buy about three to six games per month (My budget is $100 per month because of free shipping threshold on Cool Stuff).

I might just add that to the cart!

Caleb
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Oswego
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That Risk 2210 is a nice intro if your friends have only played standard Risk. My family went from Risk to Axis & Allies 1942, so you may want to consider that jump. The time between turns is kind of long, but if your friends seriously enjoy them some Risk, that's kind of the next evolutionary step.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingsburg might be worth a try as well.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bergeron
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another vote for Kingsburg. They would enjoy the dice chucking.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it's OOP and can be hard to find, but my vote is for Nexus Ops.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial 2030 Very risk like looking, risk players like this one and regular Imperial
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Wong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to move your friends away from Risk then I'd suggest games with a name without the word 'Risk', no matter how different the mechanism is.
Nexus Ops is an excellent 'next step' for Risk, but it's expensive and difficult to get, as mentioned by others.
From your collection I'd suggest you give Dungeoneer a try. The easiest set would be tomb of the lich lord i.e. the 1st set. This is a very duck dependent, lots of dice rolling dungeon crawling game which is best for 4 players.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Lubi123 wrote:
If you want to move your friends away from Risk then I'd suggest games with a name without the word 'Risk', no matter how different the mechanism is.
Nexus Ops is an excellent 'next step' for Risk, but it's expensive and difficult to get, as mentioned by others.
From your collection I'd suggest you give Dungeoneer a try. The easiest set would be tomb of the lich lord i.e. the 1st set. This is a very duck dependent, lots of dice rolling dungeon crawling game which is best for 4 players.


Sounds good. Just to be clear, my goal is not to move them away from Risk, necessarily, but to let them know that other games rock.

So, your point is valid either way! But I'm not anti-risk, I'm just pro-other-games.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How come no one has suggested Diplomacy? That's very close to Risk, but without the luck element. It's best with 7 players, but even as few as 5 is OK.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Diabeditor wrote:
How come no one has suggested Diplomacy? That's very close to Risk, but without the luck element. It's best with 7 players, but even as few as 5 is OK.


I think because I don't own it. ha ha.



That's okay, though, a few others were suggested, too, that I don't own, but I'm very open to ADDING to my collection.

But, specifically, I thought I'd pull from my collection first if possible.

Thanks!
Caleb
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank M.
United States
upstate New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Careful about Diplomacy, depending on how personally your friends take the inevitable backstabbing in that one.

"Warlords of Europe" is worth a look...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Another option is Struggle of Empires.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can get your hands on Samurai Swords I'd say it would be a sure fire hit with Risk fans. It is a lot like risk but with leaders that gain experience, ninja assassin / spy, mercenary ronin, different troop types, defences etc. It is simple enough for Risk players to EASILY pick up. If you can't get a complete old copy for a good price, it is being reprinted soon.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Conan might work.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Warrior Knights? Or Descent?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CalebSkye wrote:
So, since I've only played maybe 5% of the games that I own (I'm a collector, mostly) I would like to ask your advice.

Which three games have you played?

If you're limiting yourself to games you own (which is what you said, but most people seem to be ignoring), then Stone Age.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff King
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cutthroat Caverns is a hell of a lot of fun with four or five people.
Maybe give Talisman a try?

I really think you should make a trip to your FLGS and buy Axis & Allies.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I just can't recommend Risk 2210.

The friends I've played it with did not have a good time playing the other Risk games I've suggested. First of all, it's essentially the same game, which makes learning the added rules worthless.

Secondly, despite the 5-turn limit (which is also contested), the game takes a LONG TIME. Three hours is a long time to play. I would opt for something more quicker and inviting.

Thirdly, it's unforgiving. It's a game where the rich get richer and vice versa. The problem is, it's an economic game where the progress you make is directly proportional to the reinforcements you receive. The longer a game goes by, the more pronounced a lead will be.

A good game for new players is usually easy to learn, plays relatively fast, has easy to find strategies and offers decent replay value. While this is a general primer, some suggestions may stand out more than others.

My theory is that when people draw interest into a game, they really want to see cool the separate, interesting mechanics rather than how the game plays overall. With that sense, I've had huge success drawing people into Shadows over Camelot. While it's not my favorite game to play, it really grabs a hold of people with its unique way to play a boardgame - cooperatively AND throw a dash of traitorness in there. Since you own the game, I think this would be a good place to start.

Pandemic might also be a good choice as well. You've got the cool cooperative mechanic, but the theme is really cool as diseases are spreading around the globe and the tension is definitely there as outbreaks burst around you.

Small World is a good game, but... the theme might be a turn-off if they are not open-minded to it. Also, the strategy appears to be non-existent the first time around and they might sense it is just about spreading out, dying and repeating. I like the game, but it took me several plays to warm up to it.

On another tangent, if you can, the best, "area" control game I would play is Chaos in the Old World. I'm not a fan of these sorts of battle games, but this is really good. I'm not even a Warhammer fan either. It's got really great asymmetrical gameplay and four is the perfect number. The thing is that while the rules to the game are straightforward, strategies can be complex and the game can take quite a bit.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.