Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Quinto is a classic game from the 3M bookshelf series originally published in the 1960s. This abstract tile placement game revolves around numbered tokens strategically positioned on a plastic grid (Of course the components are plastic! This title was produced by 3M!) and these numbers must add up to multiples of five.

Like all of the best abstract games, the rules for Quinto are crystal clear but the board is clouded with strategic options. I found a copy for $3 at a thrift store and decided to give this vintage game a try. This demonstrates one of the great things about the board game hobby -- a design well over 40 years old can still be enjoyed in 2011.

I drew the low red number and was able to place my tiles first. My opponent had the misfortune to pull five stinky tiles (three 7s and two 0s, she informed me after the game) so I grabbed an early lead.

This was the first time for both of us and we developed our strategies as the game progressed. The other player might have stumbled slightly when she created long tile sequences early in the game… I was able to link some of these lengthy number chains to build high-scoring totals.

This turned into a challenging contest that we both enjoyed. My opponent suffered through a few spasms of analysis paralysis but I played quickly and, I must admit, rather carelessly. Although our styles of play were quite different each of us was pleased with Quinto.

Our scores were 530 and 520. If any experienced Qunito players are enjoying this article I would be interested in learning what constitutes an exceptionally good score.

$3 for this classic? What a deal! I could recommend this game for any Geeks who enjoy light abstracts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Weeks
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love to see these games getting some love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, I want to thrift in your town. Mine's pretty much a dud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hernick
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
Picked this game up for 50 cents at a yard sale this morning
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Shaper
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
No biggie, but didn't 3M make the original Acquire which had wood tokens?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.