Tiwaz Tyrsfist
United States
Gladstone
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Yay, Overtext bought with supporter GG!
badge
Supporter #3170 - I hope the bonus gets high enough that I can buy GeekBadge Overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I've gone through all the cards, and I think I'm right on this, but there are NO cards that give +2 or more buys, right?

I.E. there is not a single card that gives +2 buys as part of it's effect, (Not counting Wharf, which gives you +1 buy on two separate turns).

So, my next question is, would a card with +2 buy as it's only power be unbalancing?

How much would you pay for a card that just did +2 buy? 3, 4, 5-8?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiwaz Tyrsfist
United States
Gladstone
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Yay, Overtext bought with supporter GG!
badge
Supporter #3170 - I hope the bonus gets high enough that I can buy GeekBadge Overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
An Action Card that does just +2 buys...
...should cost 2 money.
...should cost 3 money.
...should cost 4 money.
...should cost 5 money.
...should cost 6 or more money.
...would unbalance the game to much.
...is just stupid, why would you want that?
      72 answers
Poll created by TiwazTyrsfist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Drebing
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+2 buys would work well with Gardens, just pick up two quick coppers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Fung
United States
Westbury
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed! Especially when gathering Counting Houses, the Copper buys makes a major difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Rudd
England
Bideford
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There are no cards that give +2 Buys and no cards that give +3 Actions. I think this is because there's no easy way to cost them - the ability is usually worthless and occasionally priceless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Goldthorpe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
One of the reasons that the wharf is a strong card is that it does give +2 buys. Having those buys in successive turns, rather than the one turn, is probably an advantage rather than a disadvantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
England
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Azorius Senate
mbmbmbmbmb
A card that just gave +2 Buys would be not brought in most setups and a key card in a very few setups. It's only going to be useful for a select few strategies: Gardens, Goons, Counting House. It seems silly to have a card that is never brought in most games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave F.
Netherlands
Schelluinen
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think +2 Buys are superfluous. A lot of cards that have +1 Buy also have another nice action like +1 Card or +1 Action.

For instance Festival has +2 Actions / +$2 and Market has +1 Card / +1 Action / + $1.

Playing several of these is not at all uncommon and will give the same result of multiple buys.

I agree that a card with just +2 Buys needs a special set to be useful, at other times it's just useless. Once you are hitting high $$$, you are usually better off buying one good card than two bad cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even with goons or counting house I don't think I'll buy a card whose only effect is +2 buys. With gardens I'll think about it, but there are much better sources of +buys - even woodcutter is better. And without those cards, nobody will ever buy it.
The point is, +2 buys isn't twice as good as +1 buy. Unless you play goons/counting house/gardens you'll rarely, if ever, want to buy more than two cards in the same turn. Even wanting to buy two cards is not common.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Long ago I playtested a card that was "+2 Actions +2 Buys" for $2. It was awful.

+2 Buys isn't out of the question, on a card that does something else, but as has been noted, it's powerful in rare cases while normally being indistinguishable from +1 Buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Hen
United States
Fridley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When the question turns to making a +2 Buys card useful I can see a few ways to try it:

* "Double Pawn" - Choose one: +2 Actions; +2 Cards; +2 Coins; +2 Buys
* Pack it with high coin - +4 Coin; +2 Buys
* Conditionally high coin - Each treasure is worth 1 more Coin this turn; +2 Buys
* "Double Bridge" - Cards cost 2 less; +2 Buys
* One-time affect - +1 Card; +1 Action; You may trash this card for +2 Buys

Essentially, instead of making it usually suck and powerful sometimes, just make it really powerful. That way the "suck" doesn't need to be balanced into the card's cost.

Personally, things like Double Bridge don't do it for me. Likewise, most of the other suggestions are all copies of other cards with +Buy tacked on: Pawn, Contraband, Bank, Mining Village.

Finding a way to uniquely make +2 Buy matter is a good trick.

Other ideas (also mostly found in other cards):

* +1 Buy; Trash a card from your hand for another +Buy
* Reveal the top 3 cards from your deck; +Buy for each Treasure revealed. Put the revealed cards back in any order.
* +2 Cards; +2 Buys; You must use all Buys available this turn
* +2 Buys; Set aside any cards you buy this turn. Return them to your deck at the end of the game.

Anyhoo, just ideas. That last one seems pretty awesome/broken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.