United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Re:How does this play as 2 player?
Norbert666 (#475871),

It plays pretty well as a 2 player. I only played it recently (a friend's copy) and have since traded for it. And it will get played 2-player for the most part.

Upsides: beautiful game, good game play as long as you like a bit of brain-burn, I like the way it combines Torres and Tikal in the scoring - feels like more options to score points. Even with 2 players, this is a meaty and satisfying game.

Downsides: more space on the board - means less competition for spots, but that makes it more relaxed too. Also the analysis paralysis is a potential problem as someone tries to compute the best move, but this is less than in Tikal I think as there are too many ways to score so you just can't run through every combo - generally people I've played with have picked a route to go and maximize that.

Putting the game away is a bit of a pain too, but that isn't a 2-player only problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:How does this play as 2 player?
I think the scoring is a major problem in playing Java with only 2...and it's the main reason why I would recommend Tikal or Torres over it when you only have two people available with Torres probably being the gold standard because Tikal's auction, while less awkward than Java's scoring, still has issues with only 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P B
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just recently acquired Java. We have played it about 6 times now - all with only 2-players. It has become our favorite game. I highly recommend it.

I have noticed some scoring issues where the last few turns can create overwhelming scoring points - it may be something that can be tweeked a little to balance it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Java is a great 2 player game. The scoring is just an element in your gameplay, after all. The game has a nice feel to it, rising from the ground, that Torres doesn't quite have, IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.