Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouch.

Great session last night, trying the KiY for the first time (+just the base game). Sesh report/"mini review" follows:

We chose Hastur as our GOO for thematic match, played the Herald, and went with the Travelling Performance. Having read that this was probably a challenging setup, we allowed ourselves Mandy as an investigator but drew the other 2 randomly - Harvey and Bob.

I'd not played against Hastur before, but the extra clue tokens required to seal gates make life hard. 48 vs 30 for a 6-gate-close win. I don't know if it's intended, but it seemed to us that the expansion maybe anticipated that - there seem to be a lot of cards (especially new Tomes) that would let you generate clue tokens.

What there isn't, is weaponry. A quick flick through the pack as we bled out after the game showed me 3 rather nice swords that had bunched low down in one deck - but we would have given an arm and a leg (and ultimately did...) for a Tommy Gun or a Sword of Glory. It was not to be.

And then bad luck set in. Our investigators were repeatedly boxed in at locations by 3 or even 4 bad guys, often for 2 or 3 turns at a time.

The first blight card was a Riot, literally. They are tough to crack without some serious firepower, and they cause areas of the board to seize up, especially in combination with one or 2 other lurking monstrosities.

We were well into Act II by the time we sealed our first gate. 6 gates in play at that point, and the Doom track over half full. It was pretty clear we weren't winning, and our attempts to tool up for a final battle scenario were beaten by the lack of decent kit being revealed in the decks.

We lost, with 2 gates sealed, when Act III began - thematically a pretty nice way to go down in flames, with the KiY.

It was tough. Very tough. We figure that a 4th investigator would have made a difference. A bit of luck on the equipment wouldn't have hurt.

But in the end, playing the Travelling Performance is always going to be a big ask, especially with a tough GOO like Hastur in play. The Next Act Begins cards are never far away. I'd like to think we might have fared differently had we tried to keep the Act progression at bay - but since we ended up at 12/13 on the Doom Track, it would've made no odds.

Positives:

KiY positively bursts with theme. Lots of great mechanics e.g. cards you can place on a street, that stay there for the game, with abilities like trade stam for san - these effectively convert a street to a location. Nice flavour text (related to the play, often, as you'd expect). At least one killer Rumour (Virulent Diseases - ouch ouch!) and some fascinating items (despite my wish for more stuff to kill stuff with). Gotta love the Press Pass (exhaust to pick up an extra clue, when you get a clue) and the Sedanette (a car that lets you auto-evade toughness 1 monsters in the streets).

I am now very keen to get my hands on the other expansions, if they do for theme what this does. It takes what the base game does and by concentrating on one thematic area, multiplies the effect significantly.

We enjoyed it, as a result, though we were royally turned over.

I am now looking forward to playing the Permanent Performance version. Watering down the KiY cards (and in effect beefing them up through the base set) should make for an altogether more winnable experience.

5 hours to play, but it never once dragged.

You can pick this up on Amazon now for £15 or so - a good investment, I think. Highly recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beloch wrote:

I am now very keen to get my hands on the other expansions, if they do for theme what this does.

I think every expansion for Arkham is great. Really. The "bad" ones are still terrific... that said, none of them does as much for Theme as KiY, in my opinion... though Curse of the Dark Pharaoh and Innsmouth come pretty close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
Beloch wrote:

I am now very keen to get my hands on the other expansions, if they do for theme what this does.

I think every expansion for Arkham is great. Really. The "bad" ones are still terrific... that said, none of them does as much for Theme as KiY, in my opinion... though Curse of the Dark Pharaoh and Innsmouth come pretty close.

I definitely agree with this and personally favor the small box expansions. More specifically, I tend to play with the base game and a single small box expansion using a touring set up. My personal favorites regarding theme are King in Yellow, Curse of the Dark Pharaoh, and Black Goat of the Woods. All three of these are excellent from a theme perspective and work quite well with smaller groups (2 to 3 investigators) which is what I typically have.

Have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sanderson
Canada
Thornhill
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great AAR! I can't wait to give the KiY a shot, but I have to wait for it to arrive first . . . *grumble*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.