Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday I got a go at skull and roses but it didn't get to me. Here is why.

The game has as undertitle, the bikers game. It says that to decide who would be the big chief of all the bikers clubs in town play this game. If a player gets to wins he can rule.

The materials:

The game comes with a rulebook, six sets of four player cards. And six playing fields.

The cards are round and each have a logo for the club on the back, there are six clubs:
- Himself
- The Eagles
- The Werewolves
- The Bulls
- The Snakes
- The Panthers

As for this artwork, it's pretty nice, each logo is worked out nice. The only thing is that the artwork for The Werewolves is just the logo for The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow. And on this card is just are all the different names for the town in different languages. It just seems as an advert for the other game.

On the back of each card you find roses (3 cards of each set) or a skull (1 card of each set). Again this artwork is pretty nice, my wife just want to have the cards to laminate them and use as coasters. Next we have the playing fields which are just two sided cards one side skulls the other roses.

How to start:

Each player gets a playing field and four cards from his gang. At the start each player chooses one card in secret (a rose or a skull) and puts it on his playing field face down. Then the starting player choose to do two things:
1. put a another card on top of it
2. start a challenge

1. put another card on top. The player selects a second card and just puts it face down on the pile.

2. start a challenge. The player now says how many of the cards he will turn over without turning a skull. From this moment on no cards can come on top of the piles and the other players can just raise the number or pass. When only one player is active he first of all has to turn all the cards from his pile and if this pile is out he has to turn over cards from the other players piles until he gets his bid of cards or until he turns a skull.

If the player turns a skull, it's over and he looses one of his cards (this one goes out of the game) and only he knows what's missing. If he gets the number of cards he has said he wins one point and turns the roses side of his playfield upwards to indicate he has one point. A new turn now begins. Each player gets his cards back in his hands.

So why don't I like it?

It's a bit to random for me. Each player lays down a card, you can not put all you're card on the pile and then go higher then 4 unless you already lost a card an put away the one skull card. If a player just starts calling after you played a skull you can raise but you have to hope that the rest don't pass because else you are in problems. For me there isn't really a lot to the game.

I see what the designer wanted to do and it's not bad but it just doesn't get me. We tried two games after each other with 3 players (maybe this is a bit to few, but it said to be a 3 player game) and none of us really liked it a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ally Steven Severi
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just like Werewolf...
this game probably works better in a larger group.

Thanks for the review

From Ally

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hulgan
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When does the game end? When a player gets to a particular score?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever a player gets 2 points he/she wins the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy vercruysse
Belgium
bredene
West Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
Do you not see?
badge
That if you kill him with the pill from the till by making with it the drug in the jug, you need not light the candle with the handle on the gâteau from the château.
mbmbmbmbmb
the cards would be great to use as drink coasters, but the game couldnt interest me at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hulgan
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems pretty great to me. It's the fun part about poker without the annoying bits.

The theme is completely not for me or my group but I'll probably buy it at a reasonable price when/if it gets the the States.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
well I'm not a poker fan, so maybe that's just it. hope you get to play it and have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, do bikers really play this or not?!

Oh man, I have to say I completely disagree with your review, Barad! This has been a huge hit in my playing group (we've been playing with mockup copies using regular playing cards or MtG cards in wait of the official release), even enticing players who don't normally like bluffing games. I'm surprised you rated it lower than Kakerlaken Poker, also a pure bluff game, as I think this is a clear improvement of that one, just like Perudo/multi-cup Liar's Dice is so much better than single cup Liar's Dice with poker dice.

I recommend you do try it with 5 or 6 players but to each his own I guess

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I do plan to give this game another chance but now with more players. With three there is just nothing to the game. None of us three found it any fun in just putting the cards down and then if you start the bidding there weren't enough cards in the game. But maybe with more players it will be fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I gave this game a try and adjusted my score to 6 after a couple of 5 player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy vercruysse
Belgium
bredene
West Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
Do you not see?
badge
That if you kill him with the pill from the till by making with it the drug in the jug, you need not light the candle with the handle on the gâteau from the château.
mbmbmbmbmb
played it again with more players last night and i still dont like it all all. but i must admit thats its better with 5 players then with 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Lopuszanski
United States
Windham
Connecticut
flag msg tools
So hear me roar! RAWR! (Or ask me about it)
badge
Her Serenity, The Lady of Pain.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a non-mathematical Liar's Dice... not sure why anyone would choose this over that. I mean in Liar's Dice you have statistics to back up your calls and can modify those statistics by gauging your opponent's reactions and stuff. This is all just gauging it seems... too random for what it should be.

Of course I haven't played it yet, so I might make a homebrew copy or something, but eh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hulgan
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got to play it a lot this weekend with 3 players up to 8 and I think 5 people is the definite sweet spot. With 3 players it just didn't feel right.

When playing with 6 one point a kid raised to a bid of 13 cards and there were only 14 cards on the table. The room exploded when he pulled it off. Sure enough the one card he didn't pick was a king (skull).

It was so easy to teach and a lot of fun to play. I'm excited about its inevitable USA release.

Side note- this could easily be released as a kids' game. Everyone gets 3 bunnies and one skunk all rules are the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Janssen
United States
Lake Zurich
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:

When only one player is active he first of all has to turn all the cards from his pile and if this pile is out he has to turn over cards from the other players piles until he gets his bid of cards or until he turns a skull.

I'm assuming he has to turn over his own cards one-by-one from the top of the pile. What about other players' piles? Does he have to pick the top card from a player's pile, or can he pick any card from their pile?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He always has to pick the top card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sims
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
The only thing is that the artwork for The Werewolves is just the logo for The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow. And on this card is just are all the different names for the town in different languages. It just seems as an advert for the other game.

Hervé Marly designed both games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls