Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Wilde
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

My Dad loves to play games, but his years as a mechanic have made arthritis in his hands so bad that he avoids card games of any sort (even though he loves Cribbage). About the only game that he and Mom like to play is Carcassonne, since he can easily grasp the tiles. So I'm looking for recommendations to expand their game exposure:

1. Game pieces should be easy to grasp - cards are too thin.
2. Good for 2-players (more is acceptable, but must play well with 2).
3. Extremely high replayability. Mom and Dad play a couple times per day, so that's 60-ish games per month!
4. Fairly easy-to-grasp rules is a consideration, but if it's an excellent game, they'll probably be willing to tackle a tougher rule set. About the most complex game they've played and liked is Cyclades.
5. Themed games are preferred, an abstract would have to be pretty amazing...

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Qwirkle might work.
Not sure if the tiles are big enough, but you can see their size here:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been a couple threads recently that are vaguely similar ("one-handed" was one).

The first one that always jumps to mind for me is Ra, which has very little manipulation, and no fine-motor placement. Ra: The Dice Game is lighter and only involves dice and cubes. I actually prefer it to Ra, although I don't know that it would be replayable after that many games. Would cubes be ok?

10 Days in... uses tiles held in a scrabble-like rack.

There are several other tile-laying games, from Vikings to Alhambra and beyond. There are also tons of expansions for Carc, and other games in the Carc family, if they are happy with Carc.

Dice games seem like a possibility, but many seem to have at least a few cards (Livingstone, Alea Iacta Est, Alien Frontiers).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing wrong with a good set of dominoes. A Mah-Jong set might work for them, although decent eyesight is important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had a look at the games in Favorite Tile Placement Games. I think these might be ok (no/few cards, don't have loads of tiny meeples and markers):
Cities
Monastery
Maori
Zug
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Morgan
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blokus Duo might work

Roll Through the Ages for a dice game (the pegs might be a bit hard to grasp, so maybe print out one of the many homemade boards that use pawns)

Pentago might be a good one as well, though I'm not sure if the marbles would be hard to handle for him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a themed tile laying game with great curb appeal, what about Wasabi!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Wilde
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the responses.

Small pieces are okay, and they both have great vision, so detail is not a problem. He simply can't squeeze his thumb and fingers together tight enough to hold playing cards.

I have Qwirkle and Roll Through the Ages, so I'll try them. I'll look into Ra, and I think they've played Mah Jong on computer, so maybe an actual board game version will be fun for them. The remaining games I'm unfamiliar, but will look at each of them. However, if there are cards that must be drawn or held, I'll skip them...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.