Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a variant we just tried out.

At the start of the game, place a Cosmic token on the "1" spot on the Warp's colony tracker. This is how many players can be on the offense when going for win. It's also the number of allies the defense can invite when a player is going for the win.

After the first attempt, should it prove unsuccessful, advance the token to the "2" spot. Now two players can go for a joint win (or still one player alone). And, the defense can invite up to two players to help stop a win.

Repeat each time an attempt fails.

We enjoyed this quite a bit, because players had to lobby the defense to get the invite. Who would send 4 ships (and potentially collect the big rewards)? There was quite a bit of tension each time a player went for the win, because he wasn't necessarily facing a huge defense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I guess I understand the intent, but I suppose it would matter for a particular playing group how bothered they are with joint wins. In the hypothetical I could play with this, but I'm not bothered by joint wins or difficult opposition solo wins to desire this idea. Overcoming tough opposition is part of what make alliance and combat powers potent. Resource powers are trying to get the right cards to overcome the opposition for themselves or deprive others to put up much of a fight.

Still, it is a good concept. I can already see an Artifact or Technology could be home-made to affect this.

Gerald Katz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How many players in that game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
Six players. It was a lot of fun. In the last game, Cavalry had been allying a lot with the defense the whole game, and had a huge hand of cards. When Leviathan was going for the solo win, everyone kept saying "Invite Cavalry! He's the only one that can add a lot to the defense", but the defense didn't want Cavalry to get any more cards, so he invited someone else. To no avail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.