Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James R
United States
Philadelphia (Roxborough)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So we begin the 2nd year and I am sitting very strong. I lost the least amount of tiles and I am in contention for the monsters, most evil, least conquered, and most rooms title. I only really have one competitor at this point, but I seem to have the edge on him with quality of monsters and resources (although he has a gold room)

Winter:

Both demons come out for the first season, and my monster card is unavailable. The heroes are very priest heavy. I have three food, a troll and a witch, one gold, my gold order is unavailable and taxes are the spring event. Counting my troll token I have 6 imps and the happy room.

So I decide to go for food in the next two seasons, so that I can maybe pick up a dragon due to the priest heavy ness. Everyone else has food unavailable this season, so I figure next season I should be able to get food for evil and mine for gold for taxes. I can spend evil and work the happy room to grab priests and put myself in contention for most evil.

I pay my last gold for food, but get my food order back. My rival takes a demon.

Spring:

Two dragons come out, and the Summer event is payday. More priests come out. I should be able to pick up the needed food to hire and pay all my monsters and my dragon. Everyone now has food available with a payday coming up, so I expect others to pick food. I will mine for gold to pay for taxes (I now have no gold).

So here comes the miss play:

No one picks food, so I am stuck in the first spot with no gold to pay for it. I do manage to mine enough gold to pay for taxes, and I decide to take the dragon.

Faced with this situation: I decide to pay all my taxes (leaving me with no gold) and hire the dragon. I will take back my food card and try again next season, giving me enough time to keep my monsters. This is the move that caused the catastrophic series of events to destroy my chance of winning.

Summer to game end:

The fall event is "witch hunt". I have no gold. I place my food order, and again no one else picks food. I am stuck in the first spot with no gold.

This means I cannot pay my troll so he is let go

This means I cannot double work my happy room to make myself good

This also means I have no food with which to hire a cheap monster to feed to the witch hunt when I land in the third spot in the fall

This means I cannot afford the evil hit for the witch hunt, so I have to loose my witch.

This also means I did not have enough actions to spy on the spell

Which finally means that said spell is Dimensional Gate, so I loose my only remaining monster (dragon) after he attacks. I also had the dragon and titles point room, figuring I could get a golem.

So, in the end, not taking a -3 point hit at taxes and saving a gold cost me three actual and one hypothetical monster, a dragon point room, and my title room, since I scored only one title (least conquered dungeon at 2).

This game is insane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: One missplay leads to a devistating chain reaction
It's one of the reasons I am enjoying this game, it can be so brutal. Thanks for the write up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poskin
United States
Sauk Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your game can be ruined by the choices of the others. That is how they can defeat someone in the lead. Part of the game which is what makes it so good

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wasn't it a chain reaction like this that led to the whole Chernobyl thing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R
United States
Philadelphia (Roxborough)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Coyotek4 wrote:
Wasn't it a chain reaction like this that led to the whole Chernobyl thing?

Not in this game, I didn't have enough actions to get the nuclear reactor room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Who actually pays taxes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Savino Palumbo
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is definitely one of those situations that that the rulebook mentions as an example of when it's ok get an unsent letter or two. Sucks though, as that's really hard to foresee. Having played a lot of Agricola, I have an unreasonable fear of begging card-like effects so I can see why you did what you did. I probably would have done the same thing because I'm not amazing at this game yet, and I would have gotten screwed just as hard I'm sure.

I have to admit though, based on the scenario you described it is incredibly bizarre that no one picked food. What did their food stockpiles look like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice session report!

But... what happened to the other players who didn't take food at all? How did they manage payday?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.