Popular Tags: [View All]
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I decided to make homemade pizza for supper and somehow I killed the dough. Yep, it's dead, Jim. No amount of heart massage will bring it back.

The question is: what the heck do you do with a lump of dead dough? Matzah pizza? Fry it and make hockey pucks?

I hate to just through it in the garbage for fear animals will find it in the landfill and become sick. Or would they be totally turned off by dead bread dough?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it a basic pizza dough recipe?

Did you forget to proof the yeast?

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sodaklady wrote:
I decided to make homemade pizza for supper and somehow I killed the dough. Yep, it's dead, Jim. No amount of heart massage will bring it back.

crycrycry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't proof it because I used Rapid Rise yeast. I just mixed it in with the dry ingredients and poured in the water. I think I had the water too hot.

I've set it to raise but have no expectations of it doing so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
sodaklady wrote:
I didn't proof it because I used Rapid Rise yeast. I just mixed it in with the dry ingredients and poured in the water. I think I had the water too hot.

I've set it to raise but have no expectations of it doing so.

Assuming the yeast wasn't out dated or very old... as far as the chemistry of baking goes... it should still rise.

Was the water scolding?

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, David. I does look like it's rising so I'll keep it and hope it comes out good.

It just felt so wrong when I was kneading it--grainy and tight, no elasticity at all. I was tearing as I was kneading it even after 10 minutes! The water was just a little over the "warm" temp, not scalding; and the packet said it was good for another year so that wasn't it, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
DKahnt wrote:

Was the water scolding?

-DK
Yes, had it said such to the effect with: "I'm too HOT! you could 'scald' yourself if you're not careful and then have to THROW it all away!" robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
I'd think you could always add more yeast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to breadworld.com, dough that didn't rise can be rescued:

Dough can be 'revitalized' with a fresh sample of Active Dry or RapidRise Yeast. 1. For each envelope of yeast in the recipe, combine in a large, warm bowl: 1/4 cup lukewarm water (100° to 110°F), 1 teaspoon sugar and one envelope (2 1/4 teaspoons) of yeast. Stir to dissolve. 2. With an electric mixer, slowly beat in small (walnut size) pieces of dough until about 1/2 of the dough is mixed into the yeast. 3. With a spoon, stir in the remaining dough. Knead in just enough flour so the dough is not sticky. 4. Let rise, shape and bake as directed in the recipe.

I've never heard of doing this but it's a good thing to know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kneading the dough is also kind of a misnomer.

While, yes, you want to knead the dough... you shouldn't really knead too much. Everything should just get incorporated and evenly distribute... much like folding.

So perhaps you over-kneaded a little.

No biggie... just something to remember for next time.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nunemaker
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I knead to know what happened to this dough!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David, I think the problem is too much flour, actually. It was a different recipe and called for 3 1/4- 3 1/2 cups of flour and a cup of water. I put a little less than 3 C into the bowl figuring to use the rest if I needed it. Usually, the dough is gloppy (word of the day?) when I turn it out of the bowl for kneading but this time I had a hard time just getting it all incorporated. Should have been my first clue, I guess.

I'm not new to yeast breads so I could tell after just a couple of minutes of kneading that it didn't feel right. Usually it feels rubbery right away, like it's fighting back, you know? Didn't do that this time. It's been a long time since I made pizza dough so I guess I'll use a different recipe or at least start with 2 1/2 cups next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snunemaker wrote:
I knead to know what happened to this dough!

O.k., Scott, since you asked: it was edible. That's about all I can say for it.

It did NOT want to stretch out no matter how I tried so instead of a thin and crispy, we had to settle for a deep dish. It was dense and heavy but lots of yummy veggie toppings and cheese saved the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.