Subject: Number of Players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bronson Barnhart
United States
South Haven
Michigan
flag msg tools
The box says this game can be played by 1 player, how? Wouldn't that be like playing chess by yourself?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much, yes. Something virtually every serious chess player does, I would think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Heath
United States
Galesburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because the system uses alternate activations whether you're playing solo or not, the flow of play is very much the same.

Apart from rendering AT guns more useless than they should be, playing solo only really suffers when hidden units are present.

Currently, 111 of 1,343 scenarios allow for hidden units. So 8.3% of all PG scenarios are a bit less fun solo, though there are also some creative house rules to address this.

As with all games:

- have someone teach you before you buy (if possible) OR
- try it yourself before you buy (if possible) OR
- buy a good entry point (low price, high quality) into the series and see how it goes: Panzer Grenadier: Elsenborn Ridge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bronson Barnhart
United States
South Haven
Michigan
flag msg tools
Shad wrote:

- buy a good entry point (low price, high quality) into the series and see how it goes: Panzer Grenadier: Elsenborn Ridge

I bought PG Eastern Front already. I was just wondering how solo play worked. I was expecting Ambush! style or something.
Thanks for replies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Heath
United States
Galesburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xiren wrote:

I bought PG Eastern Front already. I was just wondering how solo play worked. I was expecting Ambush! style or something.
Thanks for replies.

Then I suggest you start with some obviously unbalanced scenarios to learn how to play. You can worry about training your dual-self another time. Suggestions include scenarios: 1, 2, and 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Heath
United States
Galesburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xiren wrote:
I was expecting Ambush! style or something.
Thanks for replies.

Also note that one PG counter = one platoon, so ~20 men or 4~5 tanks. The scale is vastly larger than Ambush!, ASL, LnL, etc.

Some people overlook that when first learning the system, and get frustrated when "nothing happens"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Shad wrote:
Some people overlook that when first learning the system, and get frustrated when "nothing happens"
In short, whenever the opportunity arises, Assault...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
Shad wrote:
In short, whenever the opportunity arises, Assault...

Assuming you survive the point blank fire, that is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No pain, no gain...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Redcap
England
Higham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"In short, whenever the opportunity arises, Assault..."

Mmm ? Not sure thats the best advice ?

Though there is a place for it, I would wager a point blank shot without risk of harm to yourself can often prove far more profitable. However, terrain, situation etc dictate all things. No hard and fast rules for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TheMP wrote:
"In short, whenever the opportunity arises, Assault..."

Mmm ? Not sure thats the best advice ?

Though there is a place for it, I would wager a point blank shot without risk of harm to yourself can often prove far more profitable.
Only with massive attack factors. The chances of inflicting any loss or morale check on the enemy are far, far higher in Assault than direct fire, even from an adjacent hex, plus other enemy units can't attack you. Certainly, it works both ways, and you're more likely to take losses in assault, but if you want to win, you have to assault.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Redcap
England
Higham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"but if you want to win, you have to assault".

Sorry Wulf, but still have to disagree with that as a hard and fast rule. To even get adjacent to a 4 fire power unit, each platoon will first take a hit on the 16 column what with adjacent hex plus opportunity fire modifiers if your prospective 'assaulters' were going over open ground. Add to that a) If you do not win the next initiative you will then suffer an 11 col shot having just sustained a 16 column shot previously and not had a chance to recover, or worse still, maybe a full blast of enemy OBA instead. (provided Friendly Fire is not feared by the defender).

By this time, your assault to victory may well be very much wilting, and even if you have good order survivors, they will be depleted,(DIS & DEM can not initiate assaults so they are out of the reckoning) this will make what you have left lesser effective in attaining a decent column and despite attacking on the assault column they may get a good shoeing back when the defenders roll on the assault column after they had just delivered 2 x vollies into your boys beforehand..

As any Kriegspiel instructor would advise "Flexibility and a readiness to react responsively to the problem confronting the platoon leader is the path to victory, not ingrained doctrines"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.