Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have hosted gaming groups for almost 6 years and in that time the group has never had any explicitly stated rules. There have of course been unwritten rules or expectations that you would expect a group of gamers to implicitly know. The group has operated very well and has been very friendly and sociable.

Does your group have a charter or some form of written rules or expectations? What are they, who came up with them and how has that worked out for you?
Conversely if your group does not have written rules are there particular expectations that operate in your group? Has there ever been a situation where someone has broken the unwritten rules? Were they aware of the expectations?

For myself, our group has never had any problems that I am aware of. There was one time when I asked a person to tone down the language but they took it in good grace I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Kohut
United States
military/mobile
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The one thing I hate is when I have to tell a player it's their turn. "It's your turn." The next round, "It's your turn." The next round, "It's your turn." The next round, I pause a little bit to give them the benefit of the doubt. But...it ain't gonna happen on its own...so..."It's your turn." The next round, "It's your turn."

I start every game session with my one and only rule. When it's your turn..."TAKE YOUR TURN!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Lincoln
NE: NEBRASKA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only rule is there aint no rules

also: be polite
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The all-seeing, all-knowing, all-trollin' Mike Hutton
United States
moline
illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
only one rule:

wash yo @$$
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
badge
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
mbmbmbmbmb
The first rule of gaming group: don't talk about gaming group! lol...

We had 2 rules in our old gaming group...

1) Don't say you are coming if you are not, or if you will be late then call and let someone know.

2) No drinks on the gaming table...

The drink one is self explanatory, but the first one was mainly because we had one guy who would say every session "I'm coming" and then half the time he would either never show up, or arrive an hour or two late... This became an issue because we often found ourselves waiting around to play a game like Twilight Imperium (when time is not something you can waste), and we'd either start after blowing 45 minutes waiting on someone who never shows up, or start the game and 1/2 hour after we start he does show up and then we have to screw around with trying to figure out how to get him to join into the game without starting over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Moffett
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to, I don't really any more because I no longer have to enforce what I thought to be common sense. We have a selection system now where everyone gets a pick of what game we're playing in sequence so there is no more of anyone imposing their will over what the group plays too much and it is also used to get the entire group to participate instead of "Aww shit, not Catan again!" they know their turn is coming.

I guess the only really hard and fast rule I still have is don't be an asshole and if you do expect to be called out on it. Too many rules can make what should be a fun time into an un-fun experience. Games are to be enjoyed, not structured and lawyered until it's sterile, starchy experience. But sometimes some rules are necessary if you've got a couple jackasses who join in sometimes, but then, I tend to avoid jackasses.

EDIT
Cardboard Carnage wrote:
1) Don't say you are coming if you are not, or if you will be late then call and let someone know.

This. Sweet Jesus, this. We used to have so much trouble with people doing this. Something else that you would think would fall into the realm of common sense/courtesy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Johnson
United States
Cloquet
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BobKo wrote:
The one thing I hate is when I have to tell a player it's their turn. "It's your turn." The next round, "It's your turn." The next round, "It's your turn." The next round, I pause a little bit to give them the benefit of the doubt. But...it ain't gonna happen on its own...so..."It's your turn." The next round, "It's your turn."

I start every game session with my one and only rule. When it's your turn..."TAKE YOUR TURN!"

Man do I hate when I have to do that!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Common courtesy for being in a public place. If you don't know what that is then you are not welcome to our group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mbmbmbmbmb

Has posted his code of conduct elsewhere on the site. It's fairly extensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam
Australia
Dickson
ACT
flag msg tools
??!
badge
And when you gaze long into Ducky Momo, Ducky Momo also gazes into you.
mb
BobKo wrote:

I don't know how to feel about this one.

In some games it's possible for a player to quietly complete a turn with private actions that have no direct impact on anyone (like drawing cards from a private deck to replenish a hand). On those occasions I think the onus is on that player to say "I just draw two cards; it's your turn", or whatever.

Another common complaint is about people who wait until their own to think about what to do next. If someone doesn't notice it's their turn because they're deep in thought, looking intently at their own cards or the central board while they devise fiendish plans, that's great and I'm happy to give them a reminder.

If they don't notice because they're playing with their phone every turn then I hope they choke on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
As of last Thursday, we now have our first rule:

1. This is not a babysitting service, you can't drop your kids here while you go to a meeting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
ReinhartTR wrote:
...We have a selection system now where everyone gets a pick of what game we're playing in sequence so there is no more of anyone imposing their will over what the group plays too much and it is also used to get the entire group to participate instead of "Aww shit, not Catan again!" they know their turn is coming....

How does your system work? I'd be interested in something like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Moffett
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I write the name of everyone who showed up on a piece of paper and throw it in my hat. I draw a name from the hat to see who chooses a game. In the rare event that we didn't have enough time to cycle through the entire roster I give them the piece of paper. When we start next week anyone with a piece of paper gets first pick(s).

We have a couple rules regarding selection. No Descent, or any other game that is over a couple hours. If we want to play a large game the group has to agree in advance and we forgo the hat, or we convene a special night for those interested. If 3/4ths of the group decide they really don't want to play a game, that person's pick may be vetoed by the group one time, their next selection must be honored.

In the incredibly rare event that we have more people than most games can handle we have two selections at a time and the group splits up to join either chooser or we may play a party game.

The rules vary somewhat depending on who is here but that is the general idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. We usually have 2-3 games going simultaneously (12-15 people). I suppose there'd almost be time for everyone to choose a game during a session (typically 3-4 hours). Yesterday we had 10 people and played 7 games (in 5 hours). Longer sessions would make this work better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For myself the games group is big enough that we have multiple games running. If people come late they join in when a game finishes. I have never seen someone get left out because all other players decided to play a game that had a player limit one too few for the remaining gamers. Lateness therfore is not really an issue.
Game choosing has no system and can take a silly amount of time occassionally but it usually resolves very quickly.

Unfortunately not all gamers have the same perception of courtesy.
Issues that have come up include a lack of care for others games: a box lid being torn from having the box placed inside the inverted lid. A cube being lost. One of a group of teens put candy into a soft drink- it wasn't mentos but it did make a mess and someone's games got splashed. I think they must have belonged to the person who brought the kid.
On a more anal retentive note most gamers find out who owns a game that they want to play and ask if they can use it. Some turn a game collection packed like teris into a crate into a disshevelled pile while deciding what they want to play...even though the crate is transparent. Asking people not to bend their cards has come up from time to time too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Javoroski
United States
Keota
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mylittlepwny wrote:
The only rule is there aint no rules

also: be polite

Be nice.

Until it's time to not be nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
As of last Thursday, we now have our first rule:

1. This is not a babysitting service, you can't drop your kids here while you go to a meeting.

How old does a kid have to be to no longer need to be chaperoned by a parent/adult? What level of supervision do the kids need when their parents are at the games group?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
To date we haven't generally had kids attending. The group was set up for adults. But last Thursday I had my own kids with me (8 and 6) for the first time and another family brought their kids too (7 and 10?), also for the first time. It was a handful just keeping our own kids in line, and I can't say it was an unqualified success. I need to think more about allowing kids.

A dad who had brought his 3 boys (8,10,14?) previously one time was hoping he could leave them there while he went to a meeting. But I decided that wouldn't work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Should I take that to mean that whenever there are children involved every situation is different so there are no set rules?

We have had a regular gamers son from the age of 8 through to 14 with our group. At times we have had younger children or quite a group of young teens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
It's when you get more than about 2 kids that it starts to get noisy and they prefer to play than to game I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
One of our biggest "unwritten rules" is:

No Politics!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:

No Politics!

die Macher is out then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Critical Mass wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:

No Politics!

die Macher is out then.

Funny you should mention that, a marathon 5-hour session of that was played just last Friday laugh
OK, how about no real, non-game-politics?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Critical Mass wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:

No Politics!

die Macher is out then.

Funny you should mention that, a marathon 5-hour session of that was played just last Friday laugh
OK, how about no real, non-game-politics?

Does such a thing exist?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Drake
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
I like pizza!
badge
I LIKE IT!!! ????
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboard Carnage wrote:

This is the reason I never organize game days at my home anymore. Too many times I had a game or two picked out, every one knew what we were going to be playing, "sounds cool, I'll be there, what time". I usually would spend the morning cleaning the house and making food, after two or three busted game days, I gave up.

If you aren't interested then tell me when I invite you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.