Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
HEY! That TICKLES!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drawing tiles from the bag left me with a dissatisfied feeling, and just shuffling everything out in the open on the table didn't feel as satisfying. The problem with both, for me, is the issue of the different tile thicknesses. So I came up with this method of creating a random island...

Shuffle the tiles into three separate stacks, one for beach, one for forest, one for mountains.

Roll the numbered blue die and look up the result on the appropriate chart from those below, grab the top tile from the indicated stack, and place it on a hex closest to the central lagoon, and then spiral outward according to the following diagram...

DIE ROLL RESULT
1: beach
2: forest
3 or D: mountain

Once you run out of one tile type, switch to one of the following tables, depending on what tile stacks remain...

DIE ROLL RESULT
1 or D: beach
2 or 3: forest

...or...

DIE ROLL RESULT
1 or D: beach
2 or 3: mountain

...or...

DIE ROLL RESULT
1 or D: forest
2 or 3: mountain

Notice that since there are less mountain tiles to begin with, you'll be more likely to run out of mountains early, resulting in an island where most of the mountains are in the center, which is more natural (most of the time - I'll concede that there are some pretty weird-shaped islands out there).

I realize that it sounds a bit fiddly and longer than just doing a quick shuffle, but hey, building up the island before watching it sink is part of the fun. And it's actually pretty quick when you have one person rolling the dice and another placing the tiles. Especially once you've got the spiral pattern in your head and don't need the reference anymore, which could only take one or two times as it's pretty intuitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
HEY! That TICKLES!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just made a modification to my automatic map generator program.

Previously, it would shuffle all 40 tiles just like you would in a game, and distribute them randomly. It would show FOUR random maps on the screen. Pick one, set it up, and go.

The newer one uses an exact replica of the above dice method for the TOP TWO maps in the grid, and the completely random method for the bottom two, making it easy to compare how maps look using each method. Here's the link...

http://hesitantrhino.com/funstuff/maps/survive/four2.php

And here are a few sample maps generated using the dice rolling method...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
HEY! That TICKLES!
mbmbmbmbmb
Standard D6 ... Re: An alternative random island-generation method
The original post was written to make use of the die readily available in the Stronghold Games version of Survive!

Here are the same tables using a plain old numbered six-sided die....

DIE ROLL RESULT
1-2: beach
3-4: forest
5-6: mountain

Once you run out of one tile type, switch to one of the following tables, depending on what tile stacks remain...

DIE ROLL RESULT
1-3: beach
4-6: forest

...or...

DIE ROLL RESULT
1-3: beach
4-6: mountain

...or...

DIE ROLL RESULT
1-3: forest
4-6: mountain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Tibbetts
United States
Oak Lawn
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of die rolling, why not get a small bag of small uniform-sized objects colored to match the colors of the tiles. Place those randomly into the hexes, then replace each with the matching colored tile from your shuffled batches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.