Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Taylor
United States
Castro Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a relatively short review about a reasonably short game. This is written after about 5 plays of Cargo Noir at Strategicon over the weekend.

Cargo Noir is another ridiculously high quality production from Days of Wonder. It is a bidding game that is on the light side, that has charm, excellent bits and overall production value. The game plays in about 30 minutes, for 2-5 people.

Let's cut to the quick: I really liked it for what it is: a gateway game.

Essentially you are one of 5 families shipping contraband items into ports. This theme is largely pasted on, as the criminal element only goes as far as the item tiles that consist of Alcohol, Uranium, Cigars, etc. However, the theme drips anyways and it adds to the fun. My only production complaint is that the insert sucks. I would just throw it away.

I am not going to regurgitate the rules, I'm sure they are posted somewhere. The game goes essentially like this:

1. Resolve your boats from the previous turn, re-upping bids that have been outdone by other players, collecting resources from unchallenged bids for resources and standard actions. (collect $2, or exchange a good/draw a random good from the goodie bag)

2. Trade in sets of resources, sets of unique items or sets of same items (same pays better) and buy victory point cards. There are 3 basic VP cards that all have a max limit of two, one gives you an extra boat, one gives you $2 if you pull out of a bidding war, and the last one gives you two extra capacity to hold goods. There are many other VP cards that have no effects, they just score you points. This is where the real money is.

3. Place your boats on top of a stack of your money on the map locations to bid on goods, or without cash on the standard locations to take unopposed actions.

This goes on for 10/11 turns based on player quantity. You either bid, retreat from a bidding war or get stuff uncontested, and then buy VP Cards.

Now, is this game a meaty con crushing brain melter? Hell no. My question is: Do all games have to be? I still love to bust out Ticket To Ride and have fun with it from time to time, especially when in mixed gamer company.

Did this game pass the wife test? Definitely. I'm under orders to pick up a copy of this (and 7 Wonders, heh) as soon as they're available.

So, in short, I give Cargo Noir a 7, for what it is, a charming, incredibly accessible, well produced, well designed gateway bidding game. If there is any justice in the world, it would be on Target and WalMart shelves everywhere. If you have the opportunity to play with non-gamers, or family, I would highly suggest this game.

If you are a jaded Brass/Agricola/Le Havre/Dominant Species gamer who demands serious brain-burn for your games and you have no need in your life for gateway games, then I suggest you avoid the game.

Is this game going to be the next con-destroying sensation? No, but its fun to play, and might help you bring some more people into the fold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lingwall
United States
Kirksville
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for a positive review. I was starting to get worried.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Taylor
United States
Castro Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jlingwal wrote:
Thanks for a positive review. I was starting to get worried.

You're quite welcome. I think if you go in with the expectation of "next great gateway game" and not "next big thing" you'll really enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Malaysia
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We were very crowded last Saturday at my FLGS, so much so that the two friends and I who played Cargo Noir had to "camp out" on a bright colored rug in the childrens' games section. Entreaties for hot cocoa and pillows, sadly, were not answered. Despite this, we had a blast of a time playing the game. I agree, it's on the lighter side - and I think it fills a nice gateway niche for "bidding" games. Certainly, there are other light bidding games out there... For Sale comes to mind... but this is a fun game, on the light to medium strategy side, and I'm considering picking up a copy.

Nice review btw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Baptist
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Thomas -

Was that you that taught me the game at Strategicon? I enjoyed it -- and took away almost exactly the same feelings about it. My wife enjoyed it as well, although the order to buy isn't in yet (it is for 7 Wonders, though!) I'm looking forward to another play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Taylor
United States
Castro Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rick, I don't think that was me. I did look for you but never did find you at the con.

I showered and everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Baptist
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tygo wrote:
Rick, I don't think that was me. I did look for you but never did find you at the con.

I showered and everything.

LOL! Well, looking forward to May then, and a game of Cargo Noir! And keep showering! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.