Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Bedard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay..I have been a gamer since 1979. I speak fluent game and rpg-wise play gurps and AD&D. I have been looking over the 4th edition rules and for the life of me cannot find anywhere where it mentions how many powers you get to choose from..or do you get to choose from them all? It is bugging the crap out of me because this game seems pretty simplistic..almost more like descent then D&D. I am thinking I will give it a try with the kids but not until I know the answer to this stupid question *L*
Thanks for any help
Phil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trystan
Sweden
Hässleholm
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

One of the changes of 4th edition was to make character levels and spell/ability levels the same, so making a level one character, your class 2 at-will, 1 encounter and 1 daily can be chosen from any of your classes level 1 powers. These are chosen from all level 1 powers available to your class. In addition you get any racial or calss feature powers as described by your class.

When leveling up you and you get a new power you can choose any power of your new level or lower (so when you get to level 3 and get a new encounter attack power you can choose from any of your classes level 3 or level 1 encounter attack powers.

In my original hardback poayer's handbook (I'm afraid I don't have the softcover essentials books so it might be different) it talks about getting powers on page 27.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you run into more problems, try BGGs RPG brother, www.rpggeek.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Septyn
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
SEKRIT MESSAGE SSSHHHHHHHHH
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to be too negative, but I found 4th edition to have a lot of confusion and a generally poor implementation. My game group chose to go to Pathfinder instead, and we've been pretty happy with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple wrote:
If you run into more problems, try BGGs RPG brother, www.rpggeek.com

Specifically, you might want to ask in one of these forums:
Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition - Rules Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition Player's Handbook - Rules Forum

Edit: This is my 1000th general forum reply on BGG! Yay me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
Sederick wrote:
...this game seems pretty simplistic..almost more like descent then D&D.

The best description of D&D4 I've heard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddie Foulds
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
designer
Come play games at Newcastle Gamers!
badge
The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:
Sederick wrote:

I'd actually say Descent is better.

Quote:
My game group chose to go to Pathfinder instead, and we've been pretty happy with it.

I also went Pathfinder. Much better...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Bedard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks much..as soon as you said it totally clicked and made sense. You have helped save my sanity.I hate when I get a stupid block like that
Phil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Cross posted to the RPGG D&D 4e PHB rules forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a page at the end of CH 2 in the PHB that tells what each PC gets at each level - that solves your problem as to how many they get to choose.

In terms of how many they get to choose from, if you take all official 4e D&D supplements and Dragon Magazine, there are over 1800 powers created to date, so you won't run out of things to choose from any time soon whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trystan
Sweden
Hässleholm
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xTHAWx wrote:
HuginnGreiling wrote:
Sederick wrote:

I'd actually say Descent is better.

Quote:
My game group chose to go to Pathfinder instead, and we've been pretty happy with it.

I also went Pathfinder. Much better...

I think D&D 4e has it's place, I'd probably not choose it to run a full on roleplaying campaign, though I haven't roleplayed in a long time when I did things like miniatures and maps always felt like they'd get in the way.

For a dungeon crawling campaign or indeed to play as a board game though it does work very well though, the tactical combat is fun, there are tons of nice character options and the reason I would personally rate it over Descent especially for playing with children is that the Overlord in Descent has to be out for blood, the game fairly well forces that on you, wheras the DM in D&D can ease of a bit and concentrate on the more cinematic aspects of a fight.

Standard RPG/Dungeon Crawl Disclaimer: Obviously all roleplaying type games are the players game, so with the right people you can do whatever you want with whatever system you want and have an awesome time, the above was based on how they read out of the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.