G W M
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
Don't play in the street....
mbmbmbmbmb
I was first introduced to Small Box Games by a colleague in my local guild, Inner West Gamers.

Upon reading the Small Box website, I was most impressed to find a husband and wife team, John Clowdus and his wife Britt, designing manufacturing and marketing games. This to me is the internet and BGG personified, someone doing what they obviously want to do in life, and doing it in a way that they don't have to break the bank to realise a dream.

I rather enjoyed pre-ordering through the website and then waiting for my custom package to arrive. I am so used to being able to get whatever I like whenever I like, there is something nice about being forced to wait in this day and ages methinks...

In any event, Bhazum is a nice neat little 2 player game that is ideal for couples looking for a 20-30 minute game to fit into a busy schedule. It has for this reason made it into my geeklist designed specifically for this purpose: She's Asleep! - Games for time poor couples with infant(s)

Game Summary

The game of Bhazum revolves around four different cliques which are four colours (Blue, Green, Red, Orange).

1. Each turn you draw 1-3 cards, 1 minimum, 2 if your opponent has more cards in hand and 3 if your opponent also has more cards in play. You can play one card in front of you that adds to your score total (Values range from 0-4). You can also discard a card from your hand to increase this number of actions (Tax).

2. Also, you get to execute any special abilities on these cards, which revolve around stealing opponents cards, forcing the discard of cards from hand or table, and/or drawing additional cards.

3. You then also play one card in secret against one of four council cards (Blue, Green, Red, Orange) - you cannot play a same coloured card against the same coloured council.

4. When a card is played in 1 above, if this has the Ksari action listed, you reveal the secret cards and whoever has the highest number wins the council, worth 10 points at games end. The ksari card also means all cards played in front of you of that colour are worth an extra point (e.g. A Blue card worth 1, would be worth 2 with a blue ksari card in play). All cards played to win a council are then discarded.

5. The game ends when a player has no cards at the start of a turn, or when all councils have been convened. Players then add up their council cards (10 points each) plus the value of all their cards in play (remember the +1 for Ksari cards). Highest score wins!

Summary

This is a fun little game for couples in search of a fun action packed game that can be squeezed into 20-30 minutes. It requires some thought but is not a brain burner. Choosing where to play certain cards does require a little bit of thought. A well-timed tax step can swing a game in your favour when you run into trouble.

The artwork is nice, although the font leaves a lot to be desired (sorry John, I am another one who doesn't like the fonts on the cards!). The draft at the start of the game where players "draw 4 keep 2", until both players have a deck takes away the randomness of a Jambo or a Lost Cities.

Overall I give Bhazum a solid thumbs-up, for the price it is well worth purchasing, plus you are supporting a very professional small game production organisation run by a husband and wife team - very inspiring to say the least!

GM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Bunyan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm waiting for international ordering to open next month before I can get my hands on this (and maybe one or two others...), but it's good to hear another positive opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Panethiere
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree...great little game. I'm amazed at the quality and amount of games that Small Box produces. I've been a loyal customer for years and I don't see that changing. Keep up the good work John and Britt!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom moughan
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
ahh....I love the smell of a stack of sketchily placed animals in the morning!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just purchased the 4 player Bhazum: Ksari (not the same game) and just received Potlatch this month and Cartouche a few months ago.

I must comment on the production value of my recent acquisition for those thinking of buying their first Small Box game: Potlatch is very nice looking and a very interesting play as well for 3+ players. The art is very nice and it's a bit to think about, even for only 3 basic actions! I have not found John's games to be very color blind friendly -- but hey, I'm not color blind : D

As for Bhazum, this one is on my radar for a future order so thanks for the overview.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j clowdus
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the review.

We're very glad you and your wife are enjoying the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cunkelman
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John,

Nice to see you here on the Geek... I just learned of your game and I am very intrigued, but I noticed it is "Out of Print" on the Small Box Games website. I don't see any copies here on the geek or e-bay for sale.

Any plans to reprint?

Cheers and Congrats on living the dream.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.