Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This is a Suggested Treasure Item price list for fitting into the WoA Campaign Rules in 2 sections, the first set are official prices, the second set are my suggestions.

Based on the prices of the same cards in WoA these are the costs of the items in CR:

Thieves' Tools 600gp
Lucky Charm 600gp
Potion of Healing 600gp
Magic Sword 1,000gp
Boots of Striding 1,000gp
Amulet of Protection 1,000gp
Potion of Rejuvenatino 1,000gp

The following are prices I suggest based on the pricing scheme in WoA and the comparative powers of the items (with my justification in brackets):

Holy Water 300gp (only affects undead, so very limited)
Crystal Ball 300gp (possibly worst item ever? 300gp is lowest denomination though)
Glyph of Warding 300gp (Caltrops render it almost useless by comparison)
Ring of Accuracy 1,000gp (same as magic sword but for ranged heroes)
Holy Avenger 1,500gp (stronger than magic sword, this is next price step up)
Necklace of Fireballs 1,500gp (items giving extra/different attacks seem to cost a lot more)
Dragon Breath Elixir 1,500gp (same as above)
WAnd of Teleport 1,500gp (Wand of Fear is very similar and costs this)
Scroll of Teleportation 1,500gp (same as above)
Ring of Regeneration 2,000gp (most powerful item in CR, this is the cost of most powerful items in WoA)

Does all that sound fair? Clearly the treasures in WoA are far better, and personally I'm almost thinking of getting rid of the poor old Blessings and Fortunes from CR altogether...

EDIT - we totally ended up just shuffling both complete decks together from both games, but we now only use the Campaign Treasure Tokens rules instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Clearly the treasures in WoA are far better, and personally I'm almost thinking of getting rid of the poor old Blessings and Fortunes from CR altogether...

I was thinking that myself, but then I was thinking if you combine the two decks, with Blessings and Fortunes being much more diluted with items, maybe they wouldn't be quite so bad. I'll have to play a few games to see which I prefer

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
I was thinking if you combine the two decks, with Blessings and Fortunes being much more diluted with items, maybe they wouldn't be quite so bad. I'll have to play a few games to see which I prefer

That crossed my mind too - but then the treasure deck would be mahoosive. And you know in your heart that you'd be disappointed every time you got a Blessing/Fortune.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beto Francischinelli
Brazil
Itu
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not just add the cool ones (i.e.: less disapointing) Blessing/Fortunes to the deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erf_beto wrote:
Why not just add the cool ones (i.e.: less disapointing) Blessing/Fortunes to the deck?

To be honest I think the rubbish treasures and aggressive encounters suit Castle Ravenloft's theme a lot more. You expect Strahd's castle to be filled with horrors and very few spots of light or respite. I'm not familiar with Ashardalon's mythology but a red dragon's cave filled with orcs and kobolds seems to fit more neatly with stumbling across proper treasure hordes and gold piles. I might just keep the two treasure decks separate to each game. Either way I'll be assimilating WoA's campaign system into our own, so hopefully the treasure costs above will help others out too.

On a total side note: I took the human cultist monsters completely out of WoA and totally swapped them out for the Kobold javelin throwers in CR. They're all 1XP monsters and though Cultists don't really fit CR either (although they could just be Strahd's servants, abducted from Barovia), they're a better fit than kobolds. Klak will also be teleporting his way to Firestorm Peak in the near future methinks. My first cross-over adventure between the two focusses on him and Meerak summoning a kobold army!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't the ring of accuracy better than the sword, because ranged attacks are better than adjacent ones, or is a 500 gp increase too big a difference for them?

And yes, I think switching the kobolds and the cultists makes thematic sense. Good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boardgame
United Kingdom
Penrith
Cumbria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about making a separate Blessings/Fortune deck, and drawing from this for 1xp monsters, regular treasure only for 2xp +. A house rule I've previously considered was not taking treasure at all for the 1xp critturs, which seemed overly harsh when the treasure deck was mostly crap.

Seconded on evicting the Kobolds from Ravenloft and employing Cultists as servants of Dracula Strahd. In general am looking forward to receiving Wrath to be able to mess about with various monster combos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Curtis Anderson wrote:
Isn't the ring of accuracy better than the sword, because ranged attacks are better than adjacent ones, or is a 500 gp increase too big a difference for them?

Well, it's subjective isn't it. Ranged attacks are better for ranged characters, but adjacent attacks are better for melee characters. But in WoA 1,500gp would generally seem to indicate +1 to hit and another bonus. Where's the "shrug" emoticon??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schkff wrote:
How about making a separate Blessings/Fortune deck, and drawing from this for 1xp monsters, regular treasure only for 2xp +. A house rule I've previously considered was not taking treasure at all for the 1xp critturs, which seemed overly harsh when the treasure deck was mostly crap.

Seconded on evicting the Kobolds from Ravenloft and employing Cultists as servants of Dracula Strahd. In general am looking forward to receiving Wrath to be able to mess about with various monster combos.

Yeah, I'm leery of mixing up monsters too much so as not to upset balance, since there are some cards in WoA that affect Reptiles (Kobolds) for example. But seriously, it's just some Kobolds - who's going to notice/care??

Splitting the treasure decks sounds a bit fiddly - how did it work out/did you try it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boardgame
United Kingdom
Penrith
Cumbria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:

Splitting the treasure decks sounds a bit fiddly - how did it work out/did you try it?

Haven't tried it yet - still waiting to receive Wrath from Book Depository pre-orderwhistle - but I am imagining that it wouldn't be too much trouble to do it the once, and use the same 2 decks (Treasures and Fortunes) for both Ravenloft and Ashardalon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike P
United States
Castleton
New York
flag msg tools
Check out my blog, Board Game Radar!!!
badge
Stop! That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
On a total side note: I took the human cultist monsters completely out of WoA and totally swapped them out for the Kobold javelin throwers in CR. They're all 1XP monsters and though Cultists don't really fit CR either (although they could just be Strahd's servants, abducted from Barovia), they're a better fit than kobolds. Klak will also be teleporting his way to Firestorm Peak in the near future methinks. My first cross-over adventure between the two focusses on him and Meerak summoning a kobold army!

I was going to start a thread on how people are combining the 2 sets.

I also had swapped the kobolds and cultists already. Good idea on Klak, also.

I'm leaning towards keeping the encounter decks separate so Strahd doesn't attack you in the volcano and Castle Ravenloft is not prone to earthquakes.

The treasures are the one part I can't decide on. I want to just combine them all, blessings, fortunes and items, but I can't quite do it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maier
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The splitting sounds pretty keen. Next game we're trying this out.
As for mixing monsters, we mix the C&C deck, the '30 New Monsters' deck, and the C.R. deck all the time. It makes the game difficult, but not impossible. We enjoy the unpredictability of the deck.
I do agree on the Kobold Vs. Cultist swap for theme though Ninjadog.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fanaka66 wrote:
I'm leaning towards keeping the encounter decks separate so Strahd doesn't attack you in the volcano and Castle Ravenloft is not prone to earthquakes.

The treasures are the one part I can't decide on. I want to just combine them all, blessings, fortunes and items, but I can't quite do it yet.

Too right on the Encounters. Although many of the Traps and so on are very generic, there are a lot of thematic encounters in CR (moreso than in WoA it seems). They also seem tougher to me especially with WoA having that sprinkling of 'positive' encounters.

I've got a group session of WoA lined up for tomorrow night. It's going to keep me awake all night now thinking about whether or not to combine the treasure decks... soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schkff wrote:
ninjadorg wrote:

Haven't tried it yet - still waiting to receive Wrath from Book Depository pre-orderwhistle - but I am imagining that it wouldn't be too much trouble to do it the once, and use the same 2 decks (Treasures and Fortunes) for both Ravenloft and Ashardalon.

I really hope the Book Suppository comes through for you, dude - not their biggest fan myself. At least you've still got all that exciting unboxing goodness ahead of you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CitizenBen wrote:
As for mixing monsters, we mix the C&C deck, the '30 New Monsters' deck, and the C.R. deck all the time. It makes the game difficult, but not impossible. We enjoy the unpredictability of the deck.

Does that mean you have all the monster decks mixed in together (about 90 cards)?? How does that play? Presumably you don't get many duplicates...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bond
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been tossing around some ideas for how to combine the Treasure decks.

Some of the Blessings/Fortunes are very useful (Short Rest, etc) and I don't want to abandon them entirely. But I agree that shuffling the decks together creates some issues and would be unsatisfying.

My idea is that the CR Treasure deck, which is mostly Blessings and Fortunes, could represent initiative/momentum shifts in favour of the Heroes. So with that in mind, here are some thoughts:

1) Use the Campaign rules (Treasure Tokens), but when you defeat a monster you draw both a Treasure Token AND a CR Treasure card. If the token says "draw a Treasure Card", you then draw a WoA Treasure card.
If playing an actual Campaign, do NOT use the CR Treasure cards for shopping - these treasures can only be "found" (e.g. no buying the Ring of Regeneration).

Other ideas (non-Campaign):

2) Draw a CR Treasure card when you reveal a tile with a white arrow, draw WoA cards normally (when you defeat a monster)

3) If using monster tokens (from CR), draw a CR Treasure whenever you draw a "No Monster" token. Draw WoA Treasures normally.

4) This might be overpowered, but how about just drawing one card from EACH Treasure deck whenever you kill a monster?

...just some preliminary thoughts here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think simplicity is the key - that's a fair amount to keep track of there. Having gone back and forth on this I think I'm going to just shuffle all the decks together to suit our campaign play. If heroes draw an item every time they beat a monster they'll soon be carrying tons of gear and we'll have to start balancing it with encumbrance rules gulp
Whereas if all the Fortunes and Blessings are shuffled back in after each adventure, treasures will become more and more scarce, which although more frustrating, would be more balanced.

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bond
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have some good points there.

I'm just interested in possibly finding a different role for the Blessings and Fortunes - I was playing a campaign variant where the first level of the adventure had NO treasures (because it was outdoors, and the only monsters were Beasts), so the Heroes only drew non-Item Treasure Cards until the actual dungeon, where at a certain point the Items were shuffled into the Treasure Deck. It was pretty neat, and made me see just how good many of the Blessings/Fortunes are.

I guess another part of it is that I can understand killing a monster would generate a surge of momentum for the Heroes (and therefore allow a possible swing of good Fortune..) but when you have Vorpal Swords popping out of Cave Bears and so on it can get a bit strange.

If you look at the Treasure tokens from WoA, there are only about 5-6 actual Treasure drops and a heck of a lot of money drops. That means somewhere along the way the designers decided that Treasures should be much rarer in campaign settings. That's also interesting... I was playing with an idea that Room tiles had to be "searched" for Treasure, and that only some Monsters would give Treasure upon defeat.

Well, lots to ponder!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
I think simplicity is the key - that's a fair amount to keep track of there. Having gone back and forth on this I think I'm going to just shuffle all the decks together to suit our campaign play. If heroes draw an item every time they beat a monster they'll soon be carrying tons of gear and we'll have to start balancing it with encumbrance rules gulp
Whereas if all the Fortunes and Blessings are shuffled back in after each adventure, treasures will become more and more scarce, which although more frustrating, would be more balanced.

I agree it is best to simply combine the sets. But I wouldn't call it frustrating to not draw an item card. The CR deck alone is frustrating, with the majority of cards being situational, but not when the sets are combined, IMHO.

As far as pricing goes, for cards drawn between games, you could just rule CR cards to be bad luck for the heroes. Nothing useful found during their travels.
Or, if you find that too frustrating
Rule CR cards to be good luck for the heroes. Free stuff, found while exiting the dungeon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played through the first WoA campaign with my group last night so will post my thoughts on it soon hopefully. The campaign rules as are, are awesome... ninja

EDIT - Session Report Here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maier
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
CitizenBen wrote:

Does that mean you have all the monster decks mixed in together (about 90 cards)?? How does that play? Presumably you don't get many duplicates...

It actually plays pretty decently. A lot of the poster created monsters are extremely dangerous and inventive. What you lose in multiple monsters on the board simultaneoulsy gets more than made up for in the increased threat level of a Dire Bat, wolf, cultist, and Troll all hitting the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Fattimiei
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea ninjadorg!

The prices sound fair to me. As far I remember Fireball necklace is stronger than Dragon's Breath Elixir, maybe not enought for different a price (there are no prices steps between1000 and 1500, right?)

Do "adventure items" in WOA have a price too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BigBoar wrote:
Good idea ninjadorg!

The prices sound fair to me, only as far I remember Fireball necklace is stronger than Dragon's Breath Elixir, maybe not enought for different a price (there are no prices steps between1000 and 1500, right?)

Cheers dude. You're right there's no "official" step between 1000 and 1500, but both those items are one shot variations on each other, so they're pretty equal.

BigBoar wrote:
Do "adventure items" in WOA have a price too?

There are no Adventure Items in WOA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D6Frog wrote:
Good job on the price list! The clear explanations to each item seems reasonable. I look forward to the fancy finished version you will inevitably upload!

Cheers. Wait, did you just discreetly assign me yet another CR/WOA project? cry

FWIW we ended up just shuffling all the treasures together after all. We're going to play through a short Ravenloft Campaign tonight using the WOA heroes - Search For The Sunsword followed by The Hunt For Strahd Parts 1 & 2, looking forward to it. And with the Treasure Tokens instead of Cards rule it could be brutal...

EDIT - session report here: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/628461/the-hunt-for-strahd-a...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This any good?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.