Popular Tags: [View All]
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every time I look over at that stack of Corsair ships. I fantasize about moving them up the coast all the way over to the Grey Havens and then overrunning the Shire with Southrons. It is a pity it would just take way too long to get any ships that far North. It might be interesting if there was a card that would move some ships up there, or if the Corsairs had better movement - like 4 spaces.

Has anyone ever used to Cosairs for more than hitting Dol Amoroth? I can see the advantage there - you can get a Gondor stronghold under siege before pushing Gondor to war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I never use the Corsairs.

If you just want to beat the crap out of Dol Amroth, it is part of 5 dice from East Harondor to DA with a big land army. If you go by sea, it is part of 5, and by taking advantage of parallelization, you could do it in 3, but that also costs +1 muster to get the faction out there, and you have to be at-war before taking advantage of that, which is problematic early. Finally, you leave Pelargir in free hands, where it can try for liberation or FPMV. That costs even more dice in the long run. Fooey!

If you want to station ships at Umbar, Dol Amroth, and Pelargir, then you can quickly squelch Pelargir if it gets uppity, and enjoy high mobility along the coast but that's yet another muster die for the third ship. And there's a free counter card explicitly for that! It just doesn't seem worth it, even if you have the Corsair card.

Finally, there's the idea of sailing a ship all the way up to Gray Havens. That's 3 musters at the beginning of the game when they're extremely valuable, 6 sail actions at the midgame, when they're extremely valuable, two overland march actions early-mid, and an attack die late. That's why I've never done it. For that you get an attack against one of the two strongholds in the game that gets a two-elite reinforcement card (Cirdan's Ships). Are we winning yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that sounds about right. It's would very nice if someday the designers could maybe add some rules or a couple cards to make the Corsairs more worthwhile. In fact, anything that brings that huge northwest region more into play would be welcome. I mean, what self-respecting SP doesn't long to crush those hobbit-burrows, with their circular doors with their precious little knobs right in the middle, and their second-breakfasts and eleventy hundredth birthday parties.... They make me so ANGRY!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience, the primary value of the Corsairs is in quickly reinforcing a broken or withering siege of Dol Amroth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
drasher25 wrote:
Yeah, that sounds about right. It's would very nice if someday the designers could maybe add some rules or a couple cards to make the Corsairs more worthwhile. In fact, anything that brings that huge northwest region more into play would be welcome. I mean, what self-respecting SP doesn't long to crush those hobbit-burrows, with their circular doors with their precious little knobs right in the middle, and their second-breakfasts and eleventy hundredth birthday parties.... They make me so ANGRY!

Oh, I take the Shire and the Havens pretty often. If you get to use Voice of Saruman a few times, its practically free. Dunlendings first muster is the most efficient event-card-free muster in the game. Dropping a Warg or two in North Dunland provides leadership and makes sieges go fast. Moria can build itself up early, and if Lorien gets into an arms race, the Moria army can go west with some Isengarders and get lots of easy points. I'd say I take Gray Havens more often than I take Minas Tirith, these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrWeasely wrote:
drasher25 wrote:

Oh, I take the Shire and the Havens pretty often. If you get to use Voice of Saruman a few times, its practically free. Dunlendings first muster is the most efficient event-card-free muster in the game. Dropping a Warg or two in North Dunland provides leadership and makes sieges go fast. Moria can build itself up early, and if Lorien gets into an arms race, the Moria army can go west with some Isengarders and get lots of easy points. I'd say I take Gray Havens more often than I take Minas Tirith, these days.

After my game last night, I started to have similar thoughts of just conquering the North from East to West (if I got the right cards to muster up there efficiently), and pretty much just letting Rohan and Gondor sit and worry. Do you find that you need to fight in Rohan, or is it an option to just let them be? I would assume you'd need to at least build some defense Orthanic, and put a couple troops in the Fords to slow an Ent attack. But if you threaten just enough to make the SP use musters in the south, maybe you don't really need to fight it in ernest? The Corsairs here might be a nice bluff to make the FP nervous about Dol Amoth.

I still think it would be neat if there were a card that could let you move some ships up North quickly - assuming that could be balanced somehow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I find that Rohan has a weak initial defense, but because of the Ents, putting it fully out of the war is more trouble than its worth. So I usually save Rohan until last, and just get Helm's Deep. If Rohan gets to wandering down the political track, you can always bag Helm's Deep early, and play games with Dunlendings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wojtaszczyk
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the time for the corsairs is when the SP rolls lots of plain muster dice in the early/mid game. Since once you have the WK and Saruman (4 musters) and the S&E to war (2) and had some Voice use (2-3) and got the wild men going (1)... any musters after that can be tough to use if you haven't been also rolling movement to cap strongholds and be able to use towers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
kwojtasz wrote:
I find the time for the corsairs is when the SP rolls lots of plain muster dice in the early/mid game. Since once you have the WK and Saruman (4 musters) and the S&E to war (2) and had some Voice use (2-3) and got the wild men going (1)... any musters after that can be tough to use if you haven't been also rolling movement to cap strongholds and be able to use towers.
In that scenario I drop Isengard elites into Dunland. Sure they have to march far, but when they get there there's not much that can stop them from taking a stronghold in 1 turn. I like Rivendell or Havens, but Dol Amroth is only 5, and Helm's Deep is only 3. Not sure if that's better or worse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.