Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

Agricola» Forums » General

Subject: My fields generate lots of harvests due to my minor investments! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1 pic of a recent play...

...'nuff said...
meeple
 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike T
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
cheater
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pere
Spain
La Nucia
Alicante
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ehm... your fields aren't connected?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F.
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
senseless wrote:
Ehm... your fields aren't connected?

Clearly he played Wild Fields at some point.
2 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cjfoster wrote:
senseless wrote:
Ehm... your fields aren't connected?

Clearly he played Wild Fields at some point.


This one made me smile, given that they're obviously not playing "Farmers of the Moor," and even if they were, he obviously didn't have the requisite fields in place to trigger Wild Fields in the first place.

But it's the thought that counts!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Me /excited voice/: "Awesome! What a combo! 5 Veggies on 1 tile! W000t!" * share *
Agricola bunch /bored/: "Look. His fields aren't connected."

Sjeez, how to suck the fun out it.


Of the less than 10 games I played so far, about 90% was with my wife, 2 player games. So yeah, I guess we let some rules sometimes slip, by accident. Thanks a bunch for correcting. Duely noted.
shake
1 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F.
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
MisterG wrote:
cjfoster wrote:
senseless wrote:
Ehm... your fields aren't connected?

Clearly he played Wild Fields at some point.


This one made me smile, given that they're obviously not playing "Farmers of the Moor," and even if they were, he obviously didn't have the requisite fields in place to trigger Wild Fields in the first place.

But it's the thought that counts!

My humor is dry in real life, and only gets drier on a message board. While I was being sarcastic, I didn't notice the prerequisite for Wild Fields - thanks for the head's up!

Now pretending for a moment that he was playing FotM, couldn't he have plowed the two contiguous fields and then used Wild Fields for the other field? The text says "You can immediately place up to 2 field tiles..."


_Kael_ wrote:
Me /excited voice/: "Awesome! What a combo! 5 Veggies on 1 tile! W000t!" * share *
Agricola bunch /bored/: "Look. His fields aren't connected."

meeple I think you just summed up the internet. meeple
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cjfoster wrote:
...
Now pretending for a moment that he was playing FotM, couldn't he have plowed the two contiguous fields and then used Wild Fields for the other field? The text says "You can immediately place up to 2 field tiles..."


This is true, Chris, but prompts yet another question: why not place the second non-contiguous field in the bottom right empty space, the only space where such a play would be allowed given the configuration of the board?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
_Kael_ wrote:
Me /excited voice/: "Awesome! What a combo! 5 Veggies on 1 tile! W000t!" * share *
Agricola bunch /bored/: "Look. His fields aren't connected."

Sjeez, how to suck the fun out it.


Of the less than 10 games I played so far, about 90% was with my wife, 2 player games. So yeah, I guess we let some rules sometimes slip, by accident. Thanks a bunch for correcting. Duely noted.
shake


On behalf of all who have posted, ribbing you for the procedural error, I would like to apologize, and assure you that we meant no harm. I, for one, realize that people can make mistakes (especially me!), and that your primary intent was to share the thrill of an unusual Agricola situation. We "veterans" can, indeed, suffer from the shortcomings of our experience. Please don't let our teasing unduly affect you. blush
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F.
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
MisterG wrote:
cjfoster wrote:
...
Now pretending for a moment that he was playing FotM, couldn't he have plowed the two contiguous fields and then used Wild Fields for the other field? The text says "You can immediately place up to 2 field tiles..."


This is true, Chris, but prompts yet another question: why not place the second non-contiguous field in the bottom right empty space, the only space where such a play would be allowed given the configuration of the board?

I agree with you - mine was a point of legality, not rationality. I'm saying all this because I became interested in the question: Is there any legal way to get to the board state shown? I think it would be an interesting test of card knowledge and card interaction knowledge to have a series of unusual board states and then have to work out what cards were used and when, etc.
3 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike T
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
viol8r wrote:

Well, assuming fields were correctly connected, how it would be possible to get 5 veggies on one field? Or 5 grain on one field"? I believe the maxium veggies would be 2, and 3 for grain. And after each harvest this number would reduce by one. So I guess it must be a rule breaking minor improvement, So which card lets you have up to 5 veggies on a field, and how does it work exactly? When you sow, you get to place 3 extra?


The OP stacked two different cards with this effect:



and



There are several others that do the same sort of thing.

4 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I used the Fieldsman and the Seasonal Planter (G Deck) to do the same thing earlier today. I then used my Schnapps Distiller to get 5 food for each harvest for the rest of the game.

Synergy is fun!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cjfoster wrote:
... Is there any legal way to get to the board state shown?


In terms of base game, which is what is apparently illustrated, I'm pretty sure the answer is no.

Quote:
I think it would be an interesting test of card knowledge and card interaction knowledge to have a series of unusual board states and then have to work out what cards were used and when, etc.


Agreed. Got any? devil
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F.
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
MisterG wrote:
cjfoster wrote:
I think it would be an interesting test of card knowledge and card interaction knowledge to have a series of unusual board states and then have to work out what cards were used and when, etc.


Agreed. Got any? devil
I was hoping you'd say that. It may take me few weeks - I want to finish the solo series I'm working on. Also, I'm still (relatively) new to Agricola, so you may find my efforts to be child's play. It'll be a fun experiment in any case. When I come up with something, I'll post it in Agricola/Variants.

meeple Thanks to the OP for providing a space in which this idea could germinate. meeple
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cjfoster wrote:
...I was hoping you'd say that. It may take me few weeks - I want to finish the solo series I'm working on. Also, I'm still (relatively) new to Agricola, so you may find my efforts to be child's play. It'll be a fun experiment in any case. When I come up with something, I'll post it in Agricola/Variants.


And never fear, we'll make proper fun of it. laugh

Quote:
meeple Thanks to the OP for providing a space in which this idea could germinate. meeple


Again, agreed, and I hope he's not feeling too charbroiled.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, I like these sort of discussions a lot more, than the posts basically just making a buzzer sound.
MisterG wrote:
cjfoster wrote:
... Is there any legal way to get to the board state shown?


In terms of base game, which is what is apparently illustrated, I'm pretty sure the answer is no.
I think the number of vegs/grain is possible. With the sidenote that one field would not be adjacent to the house. And the result shown is not sown in one turn.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterG wrote:
cjfoster wrote:
...
Now pretending for a moment that he was playing FotM, couldn't he have plowed the two contiguous fields and then used Wild Fields for the other field? The text says "You can immediately place up to 2 field tiles..."


This is true, Chris, but prompts yet another question: why not place the second non-contiguous field in the bottom right empty space, the only space where such a play would be allowed given the configuration of the board?
Obviously, this I would've done if I remembered the 'connecting fields' rule.
Probably forgot because most rules makes sense, this one just seems ...gamey... Anyways, should've placed it there.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterG wrote:
cjfoster wrote:
I think it would be an interesting test of card knowledge and card interaction knowledge to have a series of unusual board states and then have to work out what cards were used and when, etc.


Agreed. Got any? devil

I have one, but I'm afraid it's too hard for you all... I'll post it tonight or tomorrow.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike T
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
_Kael_ wrote:
MisterG wrote:
cjfoster wrote:
...
Now pretending for a moment that he was playing FotM, couldn't he have plowed the two contiguous fields and then used Wild Fields for the other field? The text says "You can immediately place up to 2 field tiles..."


This is true, Chris, but prompts yet another question: why not place the second non-contiguous field in the bottom right empty space, the only space where such a play would be allowed given the configuration of the board?
Obviously, this I would've done if I remembered the 'connecting fields' rule.
Probably forgot because most rules makes sense, this one just seems ...gamey... Anyways, should've placed it there.


Actually, you misunderstand this discussion. There IS a legal way to reach the result you've shown, but it requires a card from the expansion, and would also require you to have taken only half the benefit of that card.

What you really should have done, with the cards you actually had: placed your cow pasture vertically, next to the sheep, rather than horizontally, pushing towards your house. That would save a wood and wouldn't have broken up your remaining spaces.

Also, with the Planter Box, I think a 4-square rectangular house is the best bet, rather than an L.





Also, I look forward to Pijll's puzzle. I've got a few of my own, though I don't know if any of them are quite clever enough to post, more simple trivia than real head-scratchers.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F.
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
smcmike wrote:
Also, I look forward to Pijll's puzzle. I've got a few of my own, though I don't know if any of them are quite clever enough to post, more simple trivia than real head-scratchers.

I hope you'll consider posting them, Mike. I think it would be great to end up with a range of difficulty levels for these board-state puzzles as some folks would want to start with something a little simpler. There are still scores of cards that I, for one, haven't even seen.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey brumley
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
The farm could have looked like this though, so no harm done!
F = field
H = Room in house
P = Pasture
X = unused
___________
|F|F|F|P|P|
___________
|H|H|H|P|P|
___________
|X|X|H|P|P|
___________

* the spacing is kinda wierd when I submit this. Sorry!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tipbruley wrote:
The farm could have looked like this though, so no harm done!
F = field
H = Room in house
P = Pasture
X = unused
___________
|F|F|F|P|P|
___________
|H|H|H|P|P|
___________
|X|X|H|P|P|
___________

* the spacing is kinda wierd when I submit this. Sorry!
Use the 'code' key.

Thanks, I'm saved
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you get a hut that doesn't start in the corner? Some sort of house rule, I presume?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterG wrote:
How do you get a hut that doesn't start in the corner? Some sort of house rule, I presume?


Look again

tipbruley wrote:
The farm could have looked like this though, so no harm done!
F = field
H = Room in house
P = Pasture
X = unused
___________
|F|F|F|P|P|
___________
|H|H|H|P|P|
___________
|H|X|X|P|P|
___________

* the spacing is kinda wierd when I submit this. Sorry!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.