Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
There has been some discussion in early reviews about how getting the Saboteur's power off effectively might be an issue. Therefore, I decided to look at who Saboteur might be most effective against.

(Of course, Saboteur could easily be used against anyone effectively, especially given the right situation, but I'd imagine there are particular aliens who'd have something more -- or less -- to fear.)

I'll start with just the Red Alert powers, in case all of you homogenize your powers the way my groups do.

Probably Effective Against
DISEASE - If you stick traps in systems where Disease is amassing forces, he might second guess himself before choosing where to spread...
FILTH - Anywhere Filth is and a trap goes off, all other players can skip the "fumigation" step.
GENIUS - Trapping his colonies will make his active power trickier to use.
GHOUL - Any alien with a healing power should be concerned about where to put those extra ships.
PLANT - Nothing about Plant itself is more threatened than any other alien, but Plant could very easily use the power of someone else on this list.
RELIC - See note about Ghoul, but less frequently.
VIRUS - numerounoarnold: "Since Virus' power relies on him having two or more ships on a planet (or in the gate) in order for it to work, placing traps on all of his home planets could either slow down his attacks or make it difficult for him to return ships back home after sending a bunch to attack. The less ships Virus is able to freely bring back to his home colonies, the better."

Not Effective Against
MASOCHIST - More things will kill me? Sign me up!
SADIST - Sadist doesn't benefit the way that Masochist does, but Saboteur should be slightly concerned when playing against Sadist.
WARPISH - Unless Warpish actually loses his power, Saboteur could actually make his overall game more powerful.

Can't Tell
CITADEL, THE CLAW, DICTATOR, GAMBLER, GRUDGE, MACHINE, MAGICIAN, PROPHET, TRIPLER, VOID

And the Greens and Yellows...

Probably Effective Against
AMOEBA - Anyone who moves ships around with regularity should be worried.
CAVALRY - Anyone who moves ships around with regularity should be worried. Cavalry is the perfect example.
CHANGELING - Not a huge threat against Changeling, but something to keep in mind (see Plant, above)
EMPATH - Since Empath will be negotiating more than normal (and therefore landing on his own colonies more than normal), trapping his colonies could be most effective.
GLUTTON - See note about healing aliens at Ghoul, above.
HEALER - Not necessarily effective against Healer himself, but other aliens in this game should see note about healing aliens at Ghoul, above.
INVADER - Invasions means that Invader will be landing more ships more often. That means more opportunities for traps to go off...
LOCUST - Removing planets reduces the number of places to not put traps, something which should concern all players in a Locust game.
LUNATIC - If you land on your own trapped planet as the Defender, that's a chance for a trap to go off.
MERCENARY - See note about healing aliens at Ghoul, above.
OBSERVER - Like Amoeba and Cavalry above, anyone who can just move ships around should be worried. Unlike Cavalry above, Observer's allies should be worried too.
REINCARNATOR - See Changeling and Plant above.
REMORA - See note about healing aliens at Ghoul, above.
SNIVELER - Potentially a healing power, so see note at Ghoul, above.

Not Effective Against
FURY - Like the Warpish, as long as Fury keeps their power, dying always helps.
SEEKER - Seeker can very easily find out where traps are, which helps everyone but Saboteur.
VACUUM - If Vacuum feels bitter about Saboteur's traps, Saboteur will feel the pain too...
WILL - Will actually has the opportunity to avoid any traps he wants.
XENOPHILE - While nothing actually protects Xenophile from Saboteur, he has to be less concerned about losing home colonies when he can never lose his power.
ZOMBIE - Zombie only has a marginal lack of concern; he can still lose his power easily due to trapped home colonies.

Can't Tell
ANTI-MATTER, BARBARIAN, BULLY, CALCULATOR, CHOSEN, CHRONOS, CLONE, CRYO, CUDGEL, DEUCE, ETHIC, FIDO, FILCH, FODDER, FUNGUS, GRAVITON, GUERRILLA, HACKER, HATE, HUMAN, INDUSTRIALIST, KAMIKAZE, LEVIATHAN, LOSER, MACRON, MERCHANT, MIMIC, MIND, MIRROR, MISER, MITE, MUTANT, ORACLE, PACIFIST, PARASITE, PHILANTHROPIST, RESERVE, SHADOW, SIREN, SORCERER, SPIFF, SYMBIOTE, TICK-TOCK, TRADER, TRICKSTER, VISIONARY, VULCH, WARHAWK, WARRIOR

I look forward to seeing response to this (oh, I am looking at you, three or four guys who seem to respond to every CE thread...). If you disagree with something, we can edit. If you find a different situation with one of the "can't tell"s, we can add.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't really comment...my crystal ball, it ain't so crystal clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't stand it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Browne
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Saboteur's very effective against Virus. Since Virus' power relies on him having two or more ships on a planet (or in the gate) in order for it to work, placing traps on all of his home planets could either slow down his attacks or make it difficult for him to return ships back home after sending a bunch to attack. The less ships Virus is able to freely bring back to his home colonies, the better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandi Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When the observer sets off a saboteur's bomb on a planet they are conquering, are their allies protected and claim the planet while the observer's ships go to the warp?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexica wrote:
When the observer sets off a saboteur's bomb on a planet they are conquering, are their allies protected and claim the planet while the observer's ships go to the warp?

Almost. Everyone has to leave the planet; Observer's ships go to the warp and the allies "return [their ships] to any of their colonies of their choice". (See Observer's sheet.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandi Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. Apparently there were six of us with the inability to read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.