Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse Acosta
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just out of curiosity... There are many games based on wars, some wars more than others. Are there any Wars you think don't have any decent games that could make a great game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen
United States
Ferndale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if there are any about the Boer wars or the Contras

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kidd
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I suspect just about any war that didn't include Europeans or Americans. How many wargames are based in medieval China, for example?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nomadik wrote:
Just out of curiosity... There are many games based on wars, some wars more than others. Are there any Wars you think don't have any decent games that could make a great game?

I've actually been toying with the idea of creating a game about King Philip's War. It would actually encompass the period after the landing of the Pilgrims and conclude with the war. I don't know of any games that simulate this conflict, which by all accounts incurred more casualties percentage-wise than any other American conflict.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiggo Morrison
United Kingdom
Bridgnorth
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Arctic Convoys during World War II

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiggo Morrison
United Kingdom
Bridgnorth
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Arctic Convoys during World War II

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
How many wargames are based in medieval China, for example?

Lots and lots - just most of them are not in English....but some are...

And there are a few games on the Boer Wars...

Not much left to do - nothing on the British-Zanzibar War that I know of...

Adam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Herranz
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The spanish civil war is a very interesing, yet few represented war. The Republican Government formed by a conglomerate of left winged parties (comunists, anarchists...) against a rebellion, Nationals, commanded by the elite of the spanish army.

I imagine a game in the War of the Ring style where the Republican player starts with lots of resources but has to unite its forces and different internal sides fighting the internal struggel. And the Nationals begins with the best troops but no territory. Both sides have to convice other countries: Germany, France, England, Russia... to get involved with more technologies and men.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about the "French and Indian" war? Lots of stuff on the Revolution but I've never seen anything on the conflicts that came up before that.

I was going to say the 30 years war, but Wallenstein more or less represents that, and I'm sure there are several others out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Cheyne
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
compluto wrote:
The spanish civil war is a very interesing, yet few represented war.

Parasan might be worth a look.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/9791

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
kimapesan wrote:
How about the "French and Indian" war? Lots of stuff on the Revolution but I've never seen anything on the conflicts that came up before that.

I was going to say the 30 years war, but Wallenstein more or less represents that, and I'm sure there are several others out there.

GMT's Wilderness War is centered on this conflict.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Nelson
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spielfreak wrote:
kimapesan wrote:

GMT's Wilderness War is centered on this conflict.

As is Columbia's Quebec 1759 (one battle in that war anyway) and Histogame's Friedrich which deal with the European theater where they called it the Seven Years War (due to arrive UPS tomorrow!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
The war on drugs.

What would be the victory conditions?

Somewhat more seriously:
Then there are games like Grass, Dealer McDope, etc. Gangster related games (and there many of those) could also be considered based on "the drug wars" with the drug being alcohol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
The Cola wars.

I had a friend who was working on this as a theme--but it was more of a trick taking card game--each trick was called a "taste test".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ricotta
Japan
Okinawa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the time period AFTER Alexander the Great dies would make a neat game..lots of factions trying to gain control of the empire...ptolamies stealing the body and running off to Egypt..there was a lot of battles for land beetween the generals..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to have a Sci-Fi block game.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms or various older territorial wars in southeast asia could use a few good games in english.

I would also like a game on the creation of the Cherokee nation. I haven't looked too hard so maybe there is one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cap'n Howdy
United States
North Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hatfields and the McCoys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spielfreak wrote:
I've actually been toying with the idea of creating a game about King Philip's War. It would actually encompass the period after the landing of the Pilgrims and conclude with the war. I don't know of any games that simulate this conflict, which by all accounts incurred more casualties percentage-wise than any other American conflict.

This would be most excellent. I think small forces and lots of maneuvre are excellent qualities in a potential wargame, and many native-immigrant conflicts would fall under this head. But King Philip's War has the advantage of more balanced forces -- I think a fine game could be made out of a number of 19th century North American Indian Wars, but the disparity in resources between native tribes and the U.S. government is simply enormous.

I'd like to see games on these three:
1) Chief Joseph and the Nez Perce attempting to escape to Canada
2) Montrose's year of miracles
3) Heraclius and the Byzantines against the Persians, Avars, and Arabs

I'll grant it is probably tough to do a well-balanced game involving military geniuses who fight against incredible odds and ultimately end up losing. But that hasn't stopped anyone from making games about Hannibal, Robert E. Lee, or Rommel.

If Uberplay wanted to invest in a real Book of Mormon game, I'd love to see a good game on Captain Moroni vs Amilickiah & Ammoron.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Edlin
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
The Hussite wars in what is now the Czech Republic. There is very little information (books or games) on Jan Zizka, the blind general. He is sometimes credited with the birth of tank warfare due to his innovative use of wagons. I would love to play a game based on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian McClements
United Kingdom
Woking
Surrey
flag msg tools
As a Briton I am amazed that there aren't any tactical or operational level games that cover Marlborough's campaigns. The key battles of the Sikh Wars (the last phase of the British conquest of India) would also be a good topic for a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sanford Dole and the conquest of Hawaii.

Actually, this might be most appropriate as a resource collection/deal-making Eurogame rather than a wargame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Battle
United States
Chicago
flag msg tools
War of Jenkin's Ear!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
Warrior Band counter for Conquest of Paradise by GMT Games.
mbmbmbmbmb
ricottma wrote:
I think the time period AFTER Alexander the Great dies would make a neat game..lots of factions trying to gain control of the empire...ptolamies stealing the body and running off to Egypt..there was a lot of battles for land beetween the generals..

This is a nearly exact description of the old Avalon Hill's Successors, dead body and all. There was also an S&T magazine game by the same name on the subject.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Parker
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
I'll second the suggestion that (at least in English) there isn't any great Romance of the Three Kingdoms / Warring States board game I can think of.

For all the computer games Eagle Games is translating to board games, I wish the Romance of the Three Kingdoms series by Koei would make the cut. However, unlike an Age of Mythology or a Sid Meier's Civ, the RTK series doesn't really sell especially well outside Asia so I'll keep dreaming...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
timlillig wrote:
I would like to have a Sci-Fi block game.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms or various older territorial wars in southeast asia could use a few good games in english.

I would also like a game on the creation of the Cherokee nation. I haven't looked too hard so maybe there is one.

Grant at Columbia had mentioned in their forum that they had several proposals for a space block game. Not much details but I think it would be a neat idea.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms would be a great theme for a game. There are many interesting, well developed characters and lots of events/battles that happened in that time period. It's almost something similar in epic scope to Lord of the Rings. I wish someone would pick up this theme and give us a good game. There is so much to work with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.