Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Henry
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
For a register with two cards due to using Dual Processor, what is the priority of that phase? The sum of the two cards? Just the movement's priority?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berthold Nüchter
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
I am the walrus
badge
checkpoint
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't find any official rule about that but I would say you should use the higher priority, which is the priority of the move card. If you add up both numbers the sum could be equal to the priority of a card of some other robot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks. I think that makes the most sense . . . . and that's what we ended up doing. The reason you provide is a good one too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LotB 2002
Netherlands
Utrecht
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every option which deals with two programming cards has one base card and one added card.
For Crab Legs I know it from my head:
The base card is the move 1, the added card is the turn, resulting in a side step left or right.

the base card occupies the phase slot, the added card is, well, added...
So the priority is the priority of the base card.

Also when a phase slot with two cards will be locked due to damage or the fire control, it is the base card which is locked, the added card is removed at the end of the round.

JeVo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, for Dual Processor, I use a house rule to make the card simpler and a bit nerfed:

The cards happen both in priority order.

Means basically you can't turn and then go – but it makes the card WAY easier to understand and resolve.

But the real rule is what JeVo said – there is a base card, and that's the priority of the whole move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
But neither card mentions a "base" card. Crab Legs says "you may put a Move 1 card in the same register as a Rotate Left or Rotate Right," which makes it sound like the Move is the added card -- or at least they're simultaneous. Dual Processor says "you may put both a Move card and a Rotate card in the same register."

I see from the Official Robo Rally FAQ that there's been multiple official rulings. The authors heard from WotC that both cards are locked, but you both (JeVo and Zimeon) remember a different, earlier ruling from WotC (where I assume they also addressed this issue of "base" and "added" cards) where only one is locked.

I guess I'd choose to play the "both locked" way. However, your recollection of the earlier ruling would certainly support using just the Movement card's priority -- and the newer ruling doesn't address that -- so I'm even more confident that Berthold (and JeVo and Zimeon) have the best answer: Use only the Move card's priority.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
For what it's worth, for Dual Processor, I use a house rule to make the card simpler and a bit nerfed:

The cards happen both in priority order.

Means basically you can't turn and then go – but it makes the card WAY easier to understand and resolve.

But the real rule is what JeVo said – there is a base card, and that's the priority of the whole move.

You can't turn and then go anyway. You move one less than the movement card and then turn. If you allow the Dual Processor to move the full distance and then turn, you haven't nerfed it, you've made it *more* powerful.

The official rule for the AH version is: there is no official rule. The rules are incomplete and not rigorously written.

My advice is to use the official rule for the earlier version, which is as others mentioned before: When two cards are placed in the same register, one is the "primary card". In cases where there is one movement card and one rotate card (which is always the case for the options in the AH version), the movement card is always the primary card.

It is assumed that the priority is that of the primary card, but this is not explicitly spelled out in the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
You can't turn and then go anyway. You move one less than the movement card and then turn.

Whoops. Confounded it with Overload Override.

With Dual processor, I just do the cards in card priority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.