Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Savino Palumbo
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't really understand why you choose start ingredients for your opponents. It almost seems like they should be randomly distributed somehow, because there doesn't seem to be any strategy in choosing them as you don't yet have your recipes. At least if I'm holding some recipes first, I have a LITTLE strategy to work with (I might give them something they are less likely to have based on my recipes, or give them something that will help me later once they put it on the board).

As the rules currently stand though, you draw ingredients for your opponents before you see any game information. This means that the game state is exactly the same when you make this decision, every game. This also means that unless the ingredients are distributed completely evenly throughout the recipes, there is an optimal selection strategy.

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Giving components randomly would end up being essentially the same as the current rules. But how would you do it? Shuffle up all the tiles?

The logistics of a random mechanic would add a bit of fiddliness to starting the game, so it seems that picking for your opponents is a nice comprimise (that doesn't force you to shuffle up your ingredients.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Savino Palumbo
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You could shuffle up one of each tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
How about each player just draws 3 tiles of their choice on their first turn? This gives a slight advantage to not going first, as you may be able to leach off other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Savino Palumbo
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
But then you have the same problem - what ingredients do you draw when you don't even have a clue what will be on your recipes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll have your recipes by then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Savino Palumbo
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh I see. I think that solution is game-breaking though, because you can just get your 5-length and your first three picks will be from that, making things too easy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The optimal strategy is to give the player to your left three ingredients, none of which can be used in the same recipe. I believe the player screens show all of the recipes? Without the game in front of me I don't recall if thy show the ingredients for each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lawrence gaydos
United States
midwest
flag msg tools
mbmb
It is tradition to serve the person on your left. Not for strategy.
For theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.