Subject: Worth it to own both Innovation and GtR? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Glory to Rome this weekend and enjoyed it so much I'm planning to order it this week.

I haven't played Innovation yet, but I've read some reviews and it looks pretty interesting. I know it's by the same designer and has some similar mechanics, but is it different enough from GtR that I would want to own/play both? e.g. We own but hardly ever play Forbidden Island because Pandemic is such a better game, and I don't want to make the same mistake here.

Most of my game playing is 2p with my boyfriend, but we do occasionally attend a local game club.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are different games.

Innovation plays wonderfully with two and was my wife's 'go to' game in restaurants for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the similarities only to be in the fact that it's a card game, and there are a lot of wildly fluctuating powers. There's quite a bit of difference in the games, both from the end goal and from the mechanics. I think if you like one, you should own the other. I agree with you on Forbidden Island -- it's too similar to Pandemic -- although I'll be gifting it to people I know who are not-yet-gamers to get them started.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Walker
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
So many douchebags, so few bullets.
mbmbmbmbmb
They are completely different. Get them both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone... exactly what I wanted to hear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all I disagree with you on the FI vs P thing. I'll play FI but I won't play P. I have two friends who are P fans... and they both preferred FI after trying it out.

As far as I vs GtR goes, that thread has already been done. You might want to check it out too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right... I glanced through the forum earlier before posting and didn't see it, my bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kandell
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Superficially similar. But--stretching quite a bit--Glory to Rome is at its base a trick-taking game, while Innovation underneath is Rummy. Trick-taking or Rummy with super-duper special card-powers that is!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Leung
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think the main difference is their learning curve.

There are 40 differently named cards in GtR. About 1/4 of them are very conditional or useless, so you need to learn about 30 cards.

There are 105 differently named cards in Innovation. I'd say you need to know most cards up to age 5 and quite a number of cards later than that, say a minimum of 55 cards to learn.

So if you are just gonna play it 2p and play it often. Innovation is > GtR. But if you are like me who doesn't get a consistent group (new people joining all the time), then Innovation is bad as no one wants to give it a second try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jkandell wrote:
Superficially similar. But--stretching quite a bit--Glory to Rome is at its base a trick-taking game, while Innovation underneath is Rummy. Trick-taking or Rummy with super-duper special card-powers that is!

Those are HUGE stretches in my opinion. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theatog wrote:
I think the main difference is their learning curve.

There are 40 differently named cards in GtR. About 1/4 of them are very conditional or useless, so you need to learn about 30 cards.

There are 105 differently named cards in Innovation. I'd say you need to know most cards up to age 5 and quite a number of cards later than that, say a minimum of 55 cards to learn.

So if you are just gonna play it 2p and play it often. Innovation is > GtR. But if you are like me who doesn't get a consistent group (new people joining all the time), then Innovation is bad as no one wants to give it a second try.

For me it has depended on who has played it. Innovation feels random to people at first. I remind them that there's always a way to influence the game, even when you're behind.

I do think that GTR is not as fun in 2 player as it is with 3 players. And Innovation is very fun in 2 player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both games feel random until you understand the flow and some subset of the cards.

Both games excel with knowledgable players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angela Hickman Newnham
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both, and don't find them very similar at all. Get both!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.