Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Imperial 2030» Forums » Rules

Subject: When exactly can an inactive country call for units to be destroyed? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is an inactive country only allowed to call for units to be destryoed when an enemy unit moves into its territory? The rules seem to imply this. On a Maneuver turn, when an active country moves units into a territory containing inactive countries' units, it must ask each of the countries in turn whether they want to enter conflict. This seems simple enough.

However, the active country also gets to destroy units if they don't move. For example, an active country can take a Maneuver turn, enter an area with inactive countries' units and remain friendly, then later take a Maneuver turn and choose to blow up the units in those territories at that time even if he does not move those units.

So my question is this, because it is a specific case. Let's say that an Indian ship had moved into a sea region containing a Brazilian ship on a previous turn. The Indian player and Brazilian player agreed to remain peaceful. Then, on a subsequent turn, the Indian player decides to convoy a tank via his fleet in this region. Can the Brazilian player in response then decide to blow up the ships contained there, preventing the move from happening? Looking back at it, I would argue no, but I wanted to make sure there was an official ruling on this in case I was wrong.

Then there's the even more crucial question: can any inactive player who chose to remain friendly on a previous turn decide to turn hostile as long as it is his country or that country's turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
SparkingConduit wrote:
Can the Brazilian player in response then decide to blow up the ships contained there, preventing the move from happening? Looking back at it, I would argue no, but I wanted to make sure there was an official ruling on this in case I was wrong.

No.

Quote:
Then there's the even more crucial question: can any inactive player who chose to remain friendly on a previous turn decide to turn hostile as long as it is his country or that country's turn?

Players don't decide to be friendly or not, counties do. Countries only make decisions on their turn or when a unit is entering their space (convoy does not count as entering).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is the way I played it. Thanks.

So you have to be careful when you're the inactive country and someone enters your territories, because you might not have the power to do anything about it for a long while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romain Jacques
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SparkingConduit wrote:
So my question is this, because it is a specific case. Let's say that an Indian ship had moved into a sea region containing a Brazilian ship on a previous turn. The Indian player and Brazilian player agreed to remain peaceful. Then, on a subsequent turn, the Indian player decides to convoy a tank via his fleet in this region. Can the Brazilian player in response then decide to blow up the ships contained there, preventing the move from happening? Looking back at it, I would argue no, but I wanted to make sure there was an official ruling on this in case I was wrong.

Do not forget that all ships have to move before any army. So, you can move your ships (one by one), announce that you are friendly, and if the other player is also friendly, use these ships to convoy your armies to destroy your new friend at the same turn. His armies will fight but his ships will have to stay friendly.

Note that you can fight a country in one territory and be friendly in another. Decision to be friendly are taken territory by territory.

SparkingConduit wrote:

To change the status of your units from friendly to unfriendly you have to maneuver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward B.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Romain Jacques wrote:

To change the status of your units from friendly to unfriendly you have to maneuver.

Is this printed in the rulebook? Had this question pop up a while ago and could not find a satisfactory answer.

Brazil is peacefully occupying United States factory. On Brazil's next turn, can it turn hostile and block the factory or must it land on maneuver in order to turn hostile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Loehn
Germany
Kleinostheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NeedsNewDice wrote:
Romain Jacques wrote:

Is this printed in the rulebook? Had this question pop up a while ago and could not find a satisfactory answer.

Brazil is peacefully occupying United States factory. On Brazil's next turn, can it turn hostile and block the factory or must it land on maneuver in order to turn hostile?

It has to maneuver to turn hostile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Qualey
United States
Odenton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is in the rulebook - Maneuver (Fleets) - at the end:
Knowing that a fleet must move into the sea area to start a fight...
"Fleets of the active nation that do not move can also battle fleets of other nations that are in the same sea region."

This tells me that previously friendly fleets can become unfriendly if another of the active nation's fleets comes into the area and attacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Loehn
Germany
Kleinostheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pepsi4Me2 wrote:
It is in the rulebook - Maneuver (Fleets) - at the end:
Knowing that a fleet must move into the sea area to start a fight...
"Fleets of the active nation that do not move can also battle fleets of other nations that are in the same sea region."

This tells me that previously friendly fleets can become unfriendly if another of the active nation's fleets comes into the area and attacks.

Why? Your conclusion has nothing to do with the rulebook quote. The rulebook just says that an active player´s fleet does not need to change the sea region during maneuver phase to start a battle .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Qualey
United States
Odenton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the requirement for a Maneuver to start a battle:
"If a fleet moves to a sea region in which fleets of other nations are present, it turns into a battle if at least one side demands it."

This (later in the same section of the rules), at least to me, relates to the status of the other fleets already in that region, which could have previously been friendly:
"Fleets of the active nation that do not move can also battle fleets of other nations that are in the same sea region"

This is the same sea region into which the previously mentioned fleet moved and started the battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Loehn
Germany
Kleinostheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is the same region the fleet that has not moved is in.

Rules should be read like that: If a player chooses Maneuver, he could activate any fleet he has. This decision is done individually for every fleet. An activated fleet could either move one space or stay in place. Afterwards if the fleet is in the same region with a fleet from another nation the active player decides if his fleet will fight or be peaceful. If he decides to be peaceful, all the other countries with a fleet in that region could decide to fight or be peaceful, too. A fleet that was not activated will never fight. The passive nations do not have the chance to fight such a fleet.

After fleet movement the same process is repeated with armies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.