Popular Tags: [View All]
The Fungi From Yuggoth
United States
Northern Chicago burbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fear the Atomic Skull-Bat! (or don't. It's up to you...)
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey folks,
I have posted this request here http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/622439/tips-for-playing-... on the board gaming by PC forum as well.

I am looking for tips and advice from any of you teachers or mentors that have used Pandemic in the classroom. I am currently in my student teaching practicum for high school Biology, and am hoping to use this game for an upcoming unit on immunity.

Would you recommend using BrettSpielWelt? I need to have all of the players be in the classroom, so if BSW doesn't support all four roles on the same PC then I'll have to go with the actual board game.

Any advice toward this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

M13
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Flux
United Kingdom
Cropwell Bishop
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
Tally Ho!
mbmbmb
What about the Vassel module?

I have to admit that I've not played it myself but will have a go tonight and let you know how it goes

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Pandemic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
What do you mean "all four roles on the same PC"? Having four players each play a different instance of BSW on one computer? If that's the case, then it sounds like a recipe for downtime, even if the players are cooperating.

I might consider using a couple of copies of the physical game, and having students work in pairs. Have them verbally justify each move ("I'm going to Paris because it's closest to the blue and black outbreaks").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The MiGo 13 wrote:
Would you recommend using BrettSpielWelt? I need to have all of the players be in the classroom, so if BSW doesn't support all four roles on the same PC then I'll have to go with the actual board game.

I would recommend BSW because pretty much all of the rules will be enforced, so you won't have players making inadvertent newbie mistakes.

However, when one logs into BSW, one does so with a single username. You won't be able to have four players logging in with one client.

Is it possible to run multiple clients on the same machine at once? Never tried it, so you'd have to test this.

However, I do know that, for multiple people to play from the same IP, all must be registered users.

If you decide to go ahead with BSW, I'd be happy to walk you through the interface in the course of a game or two. GeekMail me if you'd like to take me up on this.

Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh. I can't think of a less fun way of doing this than having four people silently tapping and mousing away on four computers. yuk

Set up the actual game, you enforce the rules while they discuss and play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
Ugh. I can't think of a less fun way of doing this than having four people silently tapping and mousing away on four computers. yuk

Heh, why assume that they'd be silent? If everyone's in the same room, it'd be way faster to just talk to each other, even if the game is being played through multiple computers.

LAN gamers are rarely silent; I see no reason to be otherwise here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.