Subject: PBEM management? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R Larsen
Denmark
Naerum (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to play DT via VASSAL, but by email instead of real-time.

How do other players deal with eg SAM lauch etc, which takes place during the opponents movement?

Thanks!
Ras

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bryon
England
New Addington
Croydon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you, as the DRV player, receive the US file, start logging before US flights move. Then, when you want to launch, do so while the DRV file is still being played (and you are logging; effectively you are interleaving your response into the US move). If the SAM has an effect, the US player can change his move in the next file. In practise I think it's uncommon enough to rarely effect the flow of the game. A SAM avoidance manoeuvre is the most common modification, and is not a big deal.

Do the same for Fire Can attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Larsen
Denmark
Naerum (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, thanks for the quick reply.
It's no problem to write into the other players log-file?
Do you start a log-file while going through the received log-file?
Sorry, I'm a bit slow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torsten Spindler
Germany
Kaiserslautern
flag msg tools
You don't write into the others player log file. For example, you get a file called 'D1-001.vlog'. You load this log file in the Downtown module, then you use 'File->Begin logfile' to start a new one, probably named 'D-002.vlog'. Then you play back through your opponents move and if a hidden AAA attacks, or a SAM launches, you execute your steps, and continue with the log when done. In the end you send 'D-002.vlog' to your opponent. With the 'solo' player option you can even try the log file 'exchange' with yourself, if you like.

Of course there are times when it is best to redo the move, rather than continuing with the log file. For example, the US moves 4 flights of bombers on their flight path. After the first flight goes one hex forward, it is ambushed by a hidden AAA. Instead of then following the original plan to just follow the first flight, the US player should be given the chance to redo them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Larsen
Denmark
Naerum (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I will have to try that.
Never tried to go through another log file while running my own.
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Larsen
Denmark
Naerum (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so thinking about this, I think I still have one (probably slightly stupid) question:
If you always integrate the previous logfile in your own, which is what you do by this method, dont you then end up with a very big logfile that includes all previous logfiles?!....
Any clarification is highly appreciated.blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RLarsen wrote:
Okay, so thinking about this, I think I still have one (probably slightly stupid) question:
If you always integrate the previous logfile in your own, which is what you do by this method, dont you then end up with a very big logfile that includes all previous logfiles?!....

You can just start a new logfile with each new turn.
If you want to replay the whole game you'll have a problem, of course...

This same system is used to play other games, like ASL, by email.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bryon
England
New Addington
Croydon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RLarsen wrote:

You don't always have to do it. Only if you think it's likely that you will need, as the DRV player, to react. So I would only start a DRV file whilst playing a US file if the US player decides to move a flight near one of my SAMs, Fire Cans, hidden AAA, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Larsen
Denmark
Naerum (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right! Of course/cause? it is only really relevant when you play DRV.
Got it now.
Thanks a lot.
Ras

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonbryon wrote:
When you, as the DRV player, receive the US file, start logging before US flights move. Then, when you want to launch, do so while the DRV file is still being played (and you are logging; effectively you are interleaving your response into the US move). If the SAM has an effect, the US player can change his move in the next file. In practise I think it's uncommon enough to rarely effect the flow of the game. A SAM avoidance manoeuvre is the most common modification, and is not a big deal.

Do the same for Fire Can attacks.

Love your avatar!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bryon
England
New Addington
Croydon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Garfink wrote:

Love your avatar!

Sorry it's simplified!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.