Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is for people, like me, that find WoS's initial difficulty level too high and the choices we make too unrewarding (there are no rewards other than losing the text of a shadow and avoiding the bad stuff of creatures). Note: I like the "do tell rule," but it can be interpreted simply as "The only characters that have examined a portal can seal it."

This also adds complexity to the game, but it's so simple now it doesn't matter too much.

Innocent:
1. Shuffle the Necro card with 4 other creature cards. Shuffle the remaining creature cards. Place the 5 cards with the Necro card at the bottom of the other creatures.
2. Give every character a starting token---Blue-glasses, green-Necronomicon, orange-potion & yellow-knife.
2. You may use a glasses token at Miskatonic University to examine one of the Portal Tokens in the box. [new to replace the lost #2]
3. If you have the items to defeat the creature or shadow in your location in step 3, do not roll the loss die. Then discard the creature.
4. If you defeat a shadow, roll the Bonus die (looks just like the Loss Die, maybe your package didn't come with both ). Apply the positive result of the die roll. If you gain an item, you may choose who receives the item.
5. Reveal the portal after sealing it. If it is a wall, you lose the game.
6. Do not place new monsters into locations with a sealed portal. Instead place the creature in the next open and non-sealed location. If there are no more open locations, the follow the rules for when all 6 locations are full.

Psychological Weakling:
1. Shuffle the Necro card with 7 other creature cards. Shuffle the remaining creature cards. Place the 8 cards with the Necro card at the bottom of the other creatures.
2. If you have the items to defeat the creature or shadow in your location in step 3, do not roll the loss die. Then discard the creature.
3. If you defeat a shadow, roll the Bonus die (looks just like the Loss Die, maybe your package didn't come with both ). Apply the positive result of the die roll. If you gain an item, you may choose who receives the item.
4. Do not place new monsters into locations with a sealed portal. Instead place the creature in the next open and non-sealed location. If there are no more open locations, the follow the rules for when all 6 locations are full.

Normal Sanity:
1. Shuffle the Necro card with 11 other creature cards. Shuffle the remaining creature cards. Place the 12 cards with the Necro card at the bottom of the other creatures.
2. If you have the items to defeat the creature or shadow in your location in step 3, do not roll the loss die. Then discard the creature.
3. If you defeat a shadow, roll the Bonus die (looks just like the Loss Die, maybe your package didn't come with both ). Apply the positive result of the die roll. If you gain an item, you may choose who receives the item.

Nervous Wreck:
1. If you have the items to defeat the creature or shadow in your location in step 3, do not roll the loss die. Then discard the creature.

Bound for the Sanitarium:
The rules as written.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tssfulk wrote:
2. Give every character a starting token---Blue-glasses, green-Necronomicon, orange-potion & yellow-knife.

In addition to the random one they already start with, or instead of?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Have I missed that rule?

Just reread the set-up, and yup I've been playing without starting items. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb

I like the idea of shuffling the Necro card into the bottom of the deck. I have had some real rotten luck with that guy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a bunch of good stuff. I like the bonus item - "Hey, look what that witch dropped when I stabbed her!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb
David and Jenny save Arkham. We played the game again today. This time we used a couple of house rules.

Sealed gates do not spawn new monsters and defeated monsters give a prize by rolling the dice.

We won before the Necron marker reached the corner. We'll give a few plays this way and see if we were just lucky or if the house rules are too favorable to the investigators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Innocent and Psychological Weakling are certainly much easier to win. Normal Sanity and Nightmare are more challenging (haven't won with Nightmare yet).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.