Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In case you haven't picked up Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game, the rulebook has an official FAQ at the end, with almost half of it useful for Castle Ravenloft and any "D&D Adventure System" board game. Here's a scan of the FAQ:

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Soot Sprite
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do the rulebook / villian cards state the XP value for defeated villians?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
East Windsor
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading through the WoA Rulebook, I noticed two differences in the core rule when compared to CR:

1. At the start of the game... "Each Hero also draws a Treasure Card. Draw and discard until you gain a Treasure Card with an item on it."

2. Monster Movement... "If the tactic requires the Monster to move to a new tile, place the Monster on the new tile's scorch mark if that square is empty. Whenever possible, Monsters move from tile to tile following the scorch marks. If the scorch mark square is occupied, place the Monster anywhere on the tile."

Both of these rules changes would also work in CR. These changes read more like clarifications, then changes. In fact the first rule seems specifically ment for CR given that the WoA treasure deck is exclusively items.

Are there any other difference that people have noticed?

My question is, should these differences be considered official for all games in the D&D Adventure System series? My feeling is, yes they should.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spritey wrote:
Do the rulebook / villian cards state the XP value for defeated villians?

Unfortunately, they don't, though our group thinks it's pretty clear that the "level" of the villain is the XP value.

-shnar

Edit: You should note though that defeating a villain does produce a monster card, since it's a special "monster".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we got most of the basic rules covered now.

If only they would make a FAQ for the scenarios as well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snappy Dan
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
err404 wrote:
After reading through the WoA Rulebook, I noticed two differences in the core rule when compared to CR:

2. Monster Movement... "If the tactic requires the Monster to move to a new tile, place the Monster on the new tile's scorch mark if that square is empty. Whenever possible, Monsters move from tile to tile following the scorch marks. If the scorch mark square is occupied, place the Monster anywhere on the tile."

Both of these rules changes would also work in CR.

Are you sure there's a scorch mark on CR tiles? I don't recall seeing any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mysterio wrote:
err404 wrote:

You use the bone piles instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snappy Dan
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Mysterio wrote:
err404 wrote:

You use the bone piles instead.

Okay, that's what I thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Random Chance
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I did find useful the clarification of Villain cards for XP. I have been using the bone piles when moving tile to tile. Not that because "it makes sense" but really mental convenience and makes things easier when asking someone else to move a mini.

Now to throw a little controversy. You're not supposed to split up XP cards. If you get the Strahd card, worth 6 and you spend it to cancel the Encounter card, would you lose the extra 1?

I did bend the rules whistle, and saved a left over point once on Strahd. I guess I could be defensive and say we're not allowed to split Monster cards but Villain okay and I'm responsible enough to honestly keep track of points in the pot.

But what would you do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RandomChance wrote:
I did find useful the clarification of Villain cards for XP. I have been using the bone piles when moving tile to tile. Not that because "it makes sense" but really mental convenience and makes things easier when asking someone else to move a mini.

Now to throw a little controversy. You're not supposed to split up XP cards. If you get the Strahd card, worth 6 and you spend it to cancel the Encounter card, would you lose the extra 1?

I did bend the rules whistle, and saved a left over point once on Strahd. I guess I could be defensive and say we're not allowed to split Monster cards but Villain okay and I'm responsible enough to honestly keep track of points in the pot.

But what would you do?

You lose the XP. I believe that's already stated in the rules, if for example you only have two 3XP monsters in your deck and you want to cancel the encounter.

And oddly enough Peter Lee has stated that specific reason for changing the monster placement rule, so there would be no time spent on figuring out where to place the monster. Put it down on the ash pile and get on with the game.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Random Chance
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I agree the spirit of the rules calls for losing the point. The original rules do spell out "Monster" cards. That's overly lawyer-ese, I admit. But if I was defensive ...

Now the question is, are we destined to lose that point? Is there any scenario having you spend 10 points at one time? I can't think of any.

Edit: Emphasizing "original" rules so the reader understands perspective. I don't know everything BTW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True, and the FAQ effectively states that Villains are Monsters.

And as for 10XP, nothing official, though I have seen it in some homebrewed variants.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bond
msg tools
mbmb
The rules for WOA supersede the rules for CR basically. As it states in it you can combine this game with other D&D Adventure System games. So replace scorch marks with bone piles for monster movement and starting treasure cards are items only. Also it talks about picking up objects, destroying objects etc. I wish they would make a PDF of the WOA rules or update CR rules to reflect the changes for those who don't have both games.

I have scanned the WOA rules into a PDF for my use if it is allowed I could put it in the files area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that picking up and trading objects is only for Adventure Items, not the common Treasure items.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bond
msg tools
mbmb
Specific rules that are not on the FAQ above but are part of the Adventure System Rules that pertain to CR.

1. When Monsters move tiles then are placed on the bone piles if possible if not then the controller can place them anywhere they want on the tile. (Note: effects like teleporation always allow the person who played the card to place the monster on a specific space on the tile)

2. If you kill a monster you can use its XP to cancel encounter cards or level up if your rolled a 20.

3. You have to be adjacent to a encounter object (not treasure card) to pick it up and it does not cost movement to pick a item up. There is no rule for trading a picked up item when picked up (like treasures)

4. Objects that need to be destroyed are attacked just like a monster.

5. When drawing first treasure card you keep drawing until you receive a object.

6. A hero can only gain one attack bonus and one defense bonus at a time from treasure cards etc.

7. The villians level is the experience you get when you defeat one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bond
msg tools
mbmb
shnar wrote:
Note that picking up and trading objects is only for Adventure Items, not the common Treasure items.

-shnar

Think you have that backwards.

"Each Treasure Card represents an item. Items provide a lasting
benefit. When you draw an Item, decide if you want to keep
it for your Hero or if you want to give it to another Hero. Once
you've decided who gets the Item, you can't give it to another
Hero later. Place the item next to the Hero Card of the Hero
that received it."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamos wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

Think you have that backwards.

"Each Treasure Card represents an item. Items provide a lasting
benefit. When you draw an Item, decide if you want to keep
it for your Hero or if you want to give it to another Hero. Once
you've decided who gets the Item, you can't give it to another
Hero later. Place the item next to the Hero Card of the Hero
that received it."

Yes, that's what I was saying. There's a rule about trading Adventure Items in the game (that didn't exist in CR), but it's written rather vague so can be easy to misinterpret it to mean all Treasure Items. That is not the case, the only time you can "trade" Treasure Items is when you draw them. Adventure Items though, you can freely give to other heroes whenever adjacent or passing through.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
the only time you can "trade" Treasure Items is when you draw them. Adventure Items though, you can freely give to other heroes whenever adjacent or passing through.

I missed this one, where does it say that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It "Other Actions" on page 10:

Quote:
Picking Up Objects
Some Encounter Cards and Adventures can result in an object
marker being placed on the tiles. To pick up an object, your
Hero needs to be in any square adjacent to the object during
your Hero Phase. It does not take any action to pick up an
object. Your Hero can pick up any number of items, or even
pick up items as he or she moves past them.

I guess that's specifically "objects" not really "treasures", but aren't most of the Adventure Treasures just objects anyways?

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bond
msg tools
mbmb
shnar wrote:
It "Other Actions" on page 10:

Quote:
Picking Up Objects
Some Encounter Cards and Adventures can result in an object
marker being placed on the tiles. To pick up an object, your
Hero needs to be in any square adjacent to the object during
your Hero Phase. It does not take any action to pick up an
object. Your Hero can pick up any number of items, or even
pick up items as he or she moves past them.

I guess that's specifically "objects" not really "treasures", but aren't most of the Adventure Treasures just objects anyways?

-shnar

I would assume that objects (not treasure item cards) carried by one player can be exchanged with another player if they were adjacent. It just makes sense that way. But you cannot exchange the object that you just picked up with any other player that is not adjacent to you, that is why you have to go pick it up(mainly there will be villians surrounding it). Now special rules always override general ones so if a scenario would state that once a object is picked up it stays with the owning player then that would be a special case (ie cursed objects for example).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.