Subject: Land types rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Morgan
United States
Simi Valley
CA
flag msg tools
I played this back in the day (years and years ago) and really enjoyed it so thought I'd get back into it. It's been years and I have forgotten all the rules. I bought three starter packs (or what I assume are starter packs) for me and my two daughters to use, one each. The strange thing is one starter pack has all forests, one has all islands and one has all fire. And yet each starter pack has a booster pack and the booster packs are a mixture. What am I meant to do with this? Surely if I have all forests in my deck then I can't use anything that doesn't use forests, yet the booster pack has not forest cards!

I am mightily confused.

How many different land types (or whatever they are called) are there? Should I just shuffle the three packs together so we get a mixture? Not planning on buying any more boosters because this is just for fun with my two girls, but from memory you didn't have a deck with just one land type!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
richiebabes wrote:
What am I meant to do with this?

The deck you have is preconstructed. The boosters are not preconstructed. The boosters are the standard distribution. You get cards of all colors in boosters. Use the blue ones with your blue deck and the green ones with the green deck and so on.

At some point, you may acquire enough cards to use the colors from the booster packs that you don't have a base deck to match at this point.

Quote:
How many different land types (or whatever they are called) are there? Should I just shuffle the three packs together so we get a mixture? Not planning on buying any more boosters because this is just for fun with my two girls, but from memory you didn't have a deck with just one land type!

There are five. Forest (green), Plains (white), Islands (blue), Swamps (black), and Mountains (red). Also, there are colorless cards, usually of type Artifact that anyone playing any color can use.

Separate the cards in the packs by color. If you think one of them would be a good addition to a deck, matching the color, add it in. If you don't have a deck in a color, then I guess cards you got in the boosters are not usable yet.

Usually, Magic decks use at least 2 different colors. But to keep things easy for new players like you, they have preconstructed decks in a single color for you. So, you'll only be using the cards from the boosters that match the colors you've already got.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morgan
United States
Simi Valley
CA
flag msg tools
Sheesh. It wasn't like this back in the old days! I seem to remember playing with all five colours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Albany
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard the Harry Potter ccg is pretty fun to play with your kids. On a magic level I'd suggest WoW: TCG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morgan
United States
Simi Valley
CA
flag msg tools
Harry Potter... arghh! Never in a million years, my kids like deeper stuff.

What is WoW: TCG? Sounds like some sort of code.

I am not looking for recommendations on this thread by the way ;-).

If I get two other starter decks with the other land types then what's the best way to mix them together so we get a roughly similar deck each with all 5 land types therein?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
YOU DO NOT WANT TO MIX THESE ALL TOGETHER!

These decks are made and designed to play with each other as they are. Each color does it's own thing.

Having a deck with five colors that isn't designed to be that way will be a huge mess that will be frustrating to play.

As posted above you may add a few cards from your boosters, but don't mix all the decks together. Play with what you have. If the girls are interested in more then by the other precons. Pick the "best" cards form the boosters and add them to the decks that match their color.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morgan
United States
Simi Valley
CA
flag msg tools
OK thanks. Maybe I played it wrong years ago!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jackson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no right or wrong in terms of how many colours a deck should have. You can play 5 colour decks if you want. However, the pre-constructed decks you bought are designed to be just one colour and have cards that work fairly well together. If you mix all the cards up to make 5 colour decks you'll still be able to play but they won't work very well. My advice is to leave all the cards from the extra boosters aside and not worry about them. The only reason Wizards started adding these boosters to the starter decks is because they changed from creating 60 card starter decks down to 41 card starter decks, and so the extra booster is to give you additional value to your purchase. (Incidentally, they have since reverted back to having 60 card starter decks).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
richiebabes wrote:
OK thanks. Maybe I played it wrong years ago!

Well, it's not objectively wrong, but even back in the earliest days of the game, a five-color pile of cards would lose horribly to even the most mediocre of decks that focus on just a few colors because they'll be able to consistently cast their spells long before you can. Typical beginner decks tend to be one color for simplicity, and many powerful decks are too, such as incredibly focused red decks that just seek to hit you with direct damage and small creatures as fast as possible. Many more decks tend to be two colors, combining their strengths without dividing focus too much, and three colors is very doable as well, though at that point you really start wanting non-basic lands that can supply multiple colors each. Five-color decks can work, but they require special focus on ensuring that they have access to all of their colors of mana and really need to be doing something special to justify the high opportunity cost of having to run that many colors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago is entirely correct.

In the early days of magic, with local casual groups unable to share info via the internet, decks were typically not as well made. (E.g. though folk used to use 20 lands, a few more has been near-universally declared as the optimal number.)

5-colour decks were originally easier to make reliable, with the original dual lands going a long way towards allowing this. However, as Santiago suggests, if you look at the top decks from the early world championships, virtually no decks will play more than 3 colours and most will play 1 or 2.

Decks should be cohesive not just in colour but also in terms of theme. Your cards should combine well and sometimes 2 great cards will be terrible in conjunction. Some of the interactions within a preconstructed deck will take a few plays to fully discover.

Booster packs are now included within the 'intro packs' as an indication that the decks are merely a starting point - not something to stick to. However, like others I'd definite suggest against mixing all 5 together and would actually suggest you play a few games with the decks 'out of the box' before you start opening any more boosters, or mixing in the boosters' cards (if you haven't already done so).

One small tip - when you add extra colours, it will make a deck more consistent and usable if you have one main colour and 1 or 2 'secondary' colours. As such, the best way to use all the colours (if you're set on doing so) would be to buy some extra lands (or maybe a 'deck-builder's toolkit') and add just a few of your favourite white/black spells to the existing decks, maybe taking out some cards to keep the decks 60 cards each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.