Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
We got Blokus 3D yesterday and it's a lot of fun!

I was wondering if anyone has also played Blokus or Blokus Trigon and has some thoughts about the different feels/strengths/weaknesses/strategies of the 3 games?

Obviously the 3D one has 3D reasoning, which is harder for the brain, but it is also nice compared with "flat" games. All 3 games do 2-4 players, which is also nice.

Thanks

Simon

Edit: Just to note that all of them have pretty good BGG rankings:
Blokus = 166
Blokus 3D = 311
Blokus Trigon = 314

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regular blokus with 3 players is weird. We tried it a couple of times and never did it again.

Blocking in Blokus Trigon is different from regular Blokus. In regular Blokus, you usually just stick a piece to that it covers up the corners of another piece to block it. In Blokus Trigon, it's too hard to cover everything up, so you have to make it so that they would be able to put one piece down but not the next one (or maybe would have to use up their 1 or 2 triangle piece to place another piece).

I like all of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Blokus 3D = Rumis is not really Blokus (it's just Rumis rebranded). The mechanics are different, and I don't just mean because it's 3D. Connecting sides instead of corners, and having the score based on number of visible sides from above, changes the feel.

Original Blokus and Blokus Trigon are both recognizably Blokus and feel like "the same game" played on different grids (square and triangle). I agree with the previous comment that regular Blokus is not good for 3 players. I think it's best with 4, whereas Trigon works for 3 or 4 nicely. (You can also do either game for 2 by using a smaller portion of the board, or by doing the "4-color and both players each take 2 colors" hack.)

EDITED TO CLARIFY: I think all 3 are good games. In practice I play Blokus Trigon most often lately since I often play 3 players, and my SO is burned out on Rumis (which also works fine with 3, unlike regular Blokus). And between the two Blokuses, yeah, the square grid is easier to visualize and get used to at first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I'll think of something witty to put here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Blokus 3d is the quickest game because you have fewer pieces. It is quite chaotic with more players, and unforgiving: it is common for a careless player to be eliminated after one move. I suspect it may be best with 2 players.

Regular Blokus is good with 4 (or maybe 2 - I haven't played it much with 2) but not worth playing with 3 IMO.

Blokus Trigon is harder to think about because there are more angles a piece can be placed at and it is less intuitive than a square grid. This also means it is easier to find spaces. Also it is harder to fully block people because of the way the triangles sit next to each other: often the 1 piece OR the 2 piece will break through (equivalent to the 1 piece in original blokus). This version scales well from 2-4.

Overall I prefer regular Blokus, but only very slightly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renato Tavares
Brazil
Goiânia
Goiás
flag msg tools
Playing 'til death!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All these games are IMO great gateway and filler games. I love them all.
I think Blokus is good only with four players. When I want to play with two players, I go with Blokus Duo.
Blokus Trigon works fine with three and four players. Rumis is better with three players, but you can play with two players with Rumis+.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer Blokus by far, but never with 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.