Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Cocks
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've had a copy for sometime now and have never played it...now I think I'm ready to tackle AH. With all information on the Geek (files, reports etc) where should I start to get the most from what appears to be a great game? Do I need to add an expansion to get the most from it?

Any pointers appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Don't add an expansion yet. The base game can give you enough mileage and you really want to get the flow of the game down. Once you get bored or it becomes easy, then add an expansion.

Don't go looking at every strategy article as it will tell you easier ways to beat the game, decreasing your mileage, and forcing you to buy an expansion early.

Send me your email through geekmail and I will send you a flowchart made by a previous member of this site. That will walk you through the game and is a handy in-game reference for your first few plays. Follow it page by page, phase by phase and you'll have the game down.

If you can, run through the game solo so you have an idea of the game. if you try teaching this to others cold, they will not like it and you will have a hard time to convince them to try again. But if you have it mostly down pat and then teach them, they will like it and want to play again.

If you have a question in game, remember it, make a ruling, and keep playing. Then after the game, look for it in the rules or ask here. The amount of time you spend trying to find the answer isn't worth the small impact of playing the game wrong. It's a co-op so there is no unfair advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I just started a couple of weeks ago. The base set is great on its own.

We added Kingsport to add some more location cards and some more movement options. I figure that we will get some good mileage out of just these two sets.

Late I plan to get King in Yellow followed by Dunwich (when the new set comes out) and the Arkham expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Just dive in with the base game, play a few times and see how it grabs you.

You certainly don't need expansions to enjoy the game - I would go so far as to say that you're making a big mistake, if you try to add even one expansion, before you tackle the base game on its own. I say that because a) the rules are tricky, it's hard enough to learn them without the extra complications offered by an expansion and b) you could play the base game many times without exhausting all there is to offer in terms of variety of cards. So you're better of keeping the expansions to provide new things to explore once you're getting familiar with the base game.

I'm sure you will enjoy. Just put the hours aside and they will fly by.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paula Webb
United States
Ashland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Is the flowchart you mentioned a file here on BGG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Lakasha wrote:

No. The member that created it left the site a while ago. I did not feel right reposting it in his absence to collect the thumbs and./or geek gold. I did receive permission from him to send it out via email.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a flowchart that's 90.3K in size, is that the same one Brian? Single page, green background bar on the top and bottom?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
I've got a flowchart that's 90.3K in size, is that the same one Brian? Single page, green background bar on the top and bottom?

No. This is 5 pages long (I think) - one page for each phase. It is mostly black and white but the expansion one has some color coding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ebert
United States
Cape Coral
Florida
flag msg tools
Solo Gamers are NOT lonely!
badge
Together We Game Alone (1 Player Guild)
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with a lot said here. You don't need an expansion to enjoy the game. It is awesome. Expansions are great for once you've played through it so many times, you want something new added.

Once you get expansions though, I do have one recommendation. Don't use them all at once. lol. It will really dilute the game down and practically make them obsolete. I keep all my expansions separated from the game. (It's a pain, but makes for quicker setup when we decide what to play). A suggestion I found and will always pass on, is use only two expansions at the most. 2 board expansions might be a bit too much though. I've only played with 1 board and 1 card expansion at once and that even felt too much.

But yea, enjoy it for what it is for now without expansions cause it is really great on its own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sanderson
Canada
Thornhill
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have three expansions (KiY, IH, DH), but still like to play every other game with just the base game. It's great by itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Brian.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Lakasha wrote:

No. The member that created it left the site a while ago. I did not feel right reposting it in his absence to collect the thumbs and./or geek gold. I did receive permission from him to send it out via email.

This chart is now back up: Arkham Horror Flowchart

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.