7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Edward Gorey Fans... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Deana David
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Yesterday was the famous late artist/ writer, Edward Gorey's birthday. Although there aren't any (that I'm aware of) (and please tell me if I'm wrong!) games about Gorey's characters, I realized he might be someone many people in the gaming community love.
So, yesterday, in honor of his b-day, we celebrated here in Amsterdam by creating a cocktail after one of his characters 'The Zilla's Demise'.
I wrote a Goreyeque verse with some very Gorey illustrations and of course there's the deadly cocktail recipe...
http://cosmocorrespondant.blogspot.com
And isn't it time SOMEONE designed a game based on his work???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently Gloom has a Gorey-esque feel to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I read Edward Gorey to my children on a regular basis. I'll make sure to tell them that it was his birthday today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deana David
Netherlands
flag msg tools
You're so right... it does. But he created SO many characters and his own version of Dracula. I'd love to see that developed-- and I'm sure the people that run his house-museum would love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deana David
Netherlands
flag msg tools
That's great.. your children must be growing up with a great sense of humor and fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Homatidis
England
flag msg tools
badge
It all depends upon the term game. There is a book of puzzles (mazes, match the figures, crosswords, logic puzzles, etc.) titled Gorey Games (1979, Troubador Press, ISBN 0-89844-000-9) which exists. All of the puzzles within it feature Edward Gorey's artwork and characters.

To give you a hint on Gorey Game 22, which starts on page 18, the answer to question 1 is your friend Zillah.

And yes Gloom has artwork and a tone in the vein of Edward Gorey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deana David
Netherlands
flag msg tools
That's a good point-- we don't have that book yet. I should order a copy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.