Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Meadows
United States
North Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
So here's a few completely unsolicited new fighter suggestions.

1. Thief. When any red icon is showing, a successful hit to the body allows the thief to swap weapons die rather than inflicting damage. Any character attacking the thief has the same option. Any character whose special ability depends on a weapon die icon cannot use their special ability without their native weapon die. (Note thief's ability is ANY red side.)

2. Headless Horseman. The horseman does not die immediately when losing his head. If he begins three successive rounds without a head he dies. When another character dies, the horseman can steal the head of the dead character, rolling the new head die exactly once.

3. Ghost. When the head (red) icon is showing, the ghost may elect to take control of another character rather than dealing damage. The ghost then takes a turn as the controlled character, using the character's special abilities, etc. This is effectively a bonus turn, the victim character will still get a normal turn during the round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are all fantastic characters! I love them all. I really like the dice swapping abilities you came up with. I would definitely include these fighters in future expansions, but first I have some questions.
wlmeadows wrote:
1. Thief. When any red icon is showing, a successful hit to the body allows the thief to swap weapons die rather than inflicting damage. Any character attacking the thief has the same option. Any character whose special ability depends on a weapon die icon cannot use their special ability without their native weapon die. (Note thief's ability is ANY red side.)

When the thief has the red face of his own weapon die showing, does he even have the option of attacking at all? Or is he only able to make strong attacks using stolen weapons? When you make the swap, does the character whose weapon was stolen take the thief's weapon red side up? Is that fighter able to make strong attacks with that die? I think it would work best if the thief's "steal" ability has the special blue border (indicating no attacking allowed but it performs a special ability). I envision this face appearing three times on the thief's weapon die. While it is equipped, the fighter cannot do any damage but may attempt the steal attack you outlined above. When swapping weapon dice, don't change the faces of either die, so the thief will gain the stolen weapon and the losing fighter will gain the "steal" ability.

wlmeadows wrote:
2. Headless Horseman. The horseman does not die immediately when losing his head. If he begins three successive rounds without a head he dies. When another character dies, the horseman can steal the head of the dead character, rolling the new head die exactly once.

At first I thought the headless horseman was a bit powerful, but he's really not. Players will simply aim for the body instead of the head. But if he ever loses his head, he can get it back by waiting for another fighter to die. If no one dies in three turns, the horseman is dead. But if someone does and the horseman regains a new head, it's no big deal, you can still kill him with damage to the body.

wlmeadows wrote:
3. Ghost. When the head (red) icon is showing, the ghost may elect to take control of another character rather than dealing damage. The ghost then takes a turn as the controlled character, using the character's special abilities, etc. This is effectively a bonus turn, the victim character will still get a normal turn during the round.

Does it's possession ability basically state that, "you may take an action with any other fighter on the table in place of your normal action?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Meadows
United States
North Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks! Glad you like them!

1. The reason I was thinking about using the red border to signify the thief abilities was that the thief can steal once, then the victim could still have a chance to get it back... Unless the thief was involved in a second swap! Then the victim is really in trouble. This would encourage players to work together to get the sniper rifle away from the soldier, and nobody else would be a threat with the rifle. I was trying to limit all swaps to involve the thief in some fashion, even if he wasn't the initiator. The result would be a potential for some serious chaos on the table if a majority of the players went for it, but also it wouldn't be impossible to shut down if someone wanted to put a stop to it. Making the thief unable to attack by default is an interesting twist I hadn't considered, but I wasn't envisioning the steal ability to follow the thief's weapon die or only be allowed once. I was also thinking the thief stats should mediocre since he has the potential for all kinds of trouble. I haven't tried to playtest this character yet, seems like there are some kinks to work out.

2. I'm not sure what kind of bonuses would be associated with having someone else's head, but it seems like the warrior shouldn't be able to block when the horseman has a female head. And the legendary hunter should get a bonus against the horseman, but only when he's headless?

3. Yep. The intent of the ghost was to counter when one person has BOTH the legendary hunter and the zombie. Or when players with these two are working together. My game group does a lot of "table deals". Not that that's bad, they are frequently broken! It's all part of the game, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Meadows
United States
North Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
So I've been contemplating the Thief all day and I keep going back and forth on whether the ability should follow the die or stay with the character. If we look at other characters, I would vote that the shield should go with the die (Space Ranger) but the snipe ability doesn't seem like it should go with the rifle. I could go either way on this. Your mechanic of the steal following the die allows ANYONE to try to get their original weapon back at any time, and that seems more fair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Meadows
United States
North Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I guess I never really answered the questions you had about weapon swapping when stealing. Now that I think I'm getting on-board with the "blue weapon" option, I'd say that the thief gets the weapon in whatever state it was in when stolen. He can re-roll later if he wants. But does that mean that someone can steal the ability to "wolf-out"? Is this getting too messy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wlmeadows wrote:
I guess I never really answered the questions you had about weapon swapping when stealing. Now that I think I'm getting on-board with the "blue weapon" option, I'd say that the thief gets the weapon in whatever state it was in when stolen. He can re-roll later if he wants. But does that mean that someone can steal the ability to "wolf-out"? Is this getting too messy?

Yes, you're getting closer to how I saw the ability working. I imagine the thief having a weapon die that looks like this:

[w]Weak weapon
[y]Medium weapon
[y]Medium weapon
[b]Steal
[b]Steal
[b]Steal

His fighter ability card would read: "When a Fighter is equipped with the (steal), as an action he may swap weapon dice with any other Fighter by making a success disarm roll. This ability cannot be used on Fighters who cannot be disarmed."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This way that thief die could end up going all over the place. A player could just be set on stealing back his own weapon or he could go for something juicier on the other side of the table. It would add a lot of fun to the game I think.

As for the headless horseman, I don't think he should gain any abilities or advantages from donning different heads. That would just involve too much rule writing.

And would the legendary hunter would get bonuses against the ghost? Are ghosts considered undead or just dead? I wonder if I should just leave that up to house rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Meadows
United States
North Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sounds good to me. Looking forward to the next expansion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.