Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't playtested this, yet, but I don't think it will cause flaws in the system.

Here's my idea of a solo variant for URBAN OPS: the card game:

GOAL
The player is the ATTACKER, and his the goal of the player is to conquer the opposing HQ (as per normal rules) or eliminate the entire enemy team (as per normal rules).
The AI will be the DEFENDER.

GAME SET UP:
1) set up the location cards in 2 parallel rows of 6 each (to make the explanation easier, we will name one row A; and the other, row B; the cards will be A1; A2; A3; A4; A5; A6 and B1; B2; B3; B4; B5; B6
Add 13th location card, between the A6 and B6 card (forming a sort of loooong U).
This 13th location is the enemy's HQ (yes, the player doesn't have an HQ), which follows the normal HQ rules (see rule book, pag.7).

This is how the board will look like:

A1; A2; A3; A4; A5; A6

.....................................HQ
B1; B2; B3; B4; B5; B6

2) Set up the DEFENDER squad, which is composed of 6 characters (either picked randomly or chosen), and place 2 character cards in the HQ location; and one each in locations in A5, A6; B5 B6.

3) Make a custom deck, composed of ONLY waepons (melee and ranged) and bombs;

4) Make another deck with ONLY armor cards.

5)Draw 6 cards from the Weapon/Bomb deck, and radomly equip them to the 6 DEFENDERS; then randomly draw 6 cards from the Armor deck, and, again, equip them to the DEFENDERS.

6)Shuffle all the Arsenal cards back together, as normal (DO NOT INCLUDE EVENTS)

7) Set up the ATTACKER/player's team, which will be composed of 5 characters (either randomly picked or chosen) and place them, as you wish, among locations A1 and B1.

8)the player draws a hand of 10 cards from the Arsenal deck as per normal rules.

Now the table is set up and the game can begin.

GAMEPLAY

The ATTACKER starts the game.

Using the normal DEMA steps, During his turn, the player, will follow the DEMA stesps (Draw 2 cards, Equip up to 2 cards, Move 1 character, Activate 1 character), in order to eliminate the enemy team OR conquer the enemy HQ.

The DEFENDER (AKA the AI) won't use the DEMA sequence, but will follow this pattern:
Activate the DEFENDER who's closest to an ATTACKER, and attack him, using the equipped weapon (in case 2 characters are equally distant from the enemy, choose randomly).
Move one character, in order to occupy the closest free location to the HQ.
(so, if B5 was occupied and B6 was free, the character in B5 would move to B6; if B6 was occupied, and the HQ was free, the character would move to the HQ location).

Normal rules for character and location modifiers apply.

I am going to try it, and report the outcome.

cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night I tried the solo variant, and it works.
It feels like a siege-war (in fact, it is, by all means, a siege attack).
What I liked best was that the attackers, thanx to some items (like the jet packs) were flying around, getting closer the the enemy HQ... but also having to worry about getting shot at by the defenders).

I still have to refine a few rules, like the board set up: I think it might work better if it was a straight line, instead of U shaped; which would clarify (or make clearer alltogether) the distances.

Another good variant (not only for solo play) is to have a board set up of lines and columns (like 4x4), and have the charaters moving through it.

This last variant could also see a special rule for OPEN ROADS, where characters can move 2 locations, when one of them is a road....

gotta think this out more.

cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.