United States
Cape Coral
Florida
flag msg tools
Solo Gamers are NOT lonely!
badge
Together We Game Alone (1 Player Guild)
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finally got this game... and I ran through the first adventure to familiarize myself with the game before playing/teaching it to friends.

Please forgive me if this is a repeat question. I did find one post about this question but the answer still left me a bit confused about this statement. That, and I'm not going to search through every "A few questions" (or likewise) posts to find out if it's in there or not. (I did go through about 2 pages though)

So, I'll try rephrasing how I want to ask this. I may be just reading into this... but I'll ask in the form of examples.

"Villain activates at the start of each player's Villain Phase" is a rule listed under the Special Adventure Rules, therefore under the "How the Adventures Work" section it states that these rules are new rules or rules that change.

Which one is right?

A) It's a rule that changes. Therefore, say in Adventure 1, when Strahd is revealed, he does not activate during step b as normal, he activates before step a. Meaning your phase will be, Activate Strahd, then step a (draw an encounter if...), then step b (activate other villains if they are present), then c (activate monsters/traps...)

or

B) It's a new rule. Therefore, say in Adventure 1, when Strahd is revealed, he activates before step a. then proceed to step a (draw an encounter if...), then he activates again in step b (activate villains...), then c (activate monsters/traps...)

My instinct is telling me it's A) because this game is meant to be a very simple game to play and this one follows the rules as closely as I can see possible. Perhaps there's an option C that I haven't thought of.

Edit: Took out a redundant statement
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's actually neither. What it is is a reminder that you are supposed to activate the villain and it's written rather poorly. If you notice, every adventure that includes a Villain has that wording, and the point is that the Villain is not activated until he's finally revealed, then he's activated as normal during every heroes' Villain phase.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ebert
United States
Cape Coral
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
It's actually neither. What it is is a reminder that you are supposed to activate the villain and it's written rather poorly. If you notice, every adventure that includes a Villain has that wording, and the point is that the Villain is not activated until he's finally revealed, then he's activated as normal during every heroes' Villain phase.

-shnar

I can understand your point about this, being that it could be a reminder to the players that villains activate every player's turn, and that noone controls it like monsters are. However, I bolded a part of your quote. This is in fact not true. If it was, I would be inclined to agree with you, but Adventure 7 does not have this wording, and that is what is throwing me off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ebert
United States
Cape Coral
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not really trying to make a big deal out of this... I'm just taking everything literally from the book.

The key points that have me believing it's option A from my original post are this.

Key point 1
Normal Villain phase is
1. Possible encounter card
2. Activate villain if there is one
3. Activate monsters and traps.

Key point 2
Page 2 says Special Adventure rules are new rules or changes to be incorporated.

Key point 3
Almost all of them say Villain is activated at the Start of the villain phase, and this rule is listed under said Special Adventure rules.
So therefore Villain, then possible encounter, then monsters/traps

Key point 4
Adventure 7 does not use the same text as in key point 3, so there are no changes to the villain phase and you do it as per normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ebert
United States
Cape Coral
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*sigh*... I just noticed on every single villain card it has the text "at the start of each villain phase..." darn you English language and your crappy interpretation success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shacky22 wrote:
*sigh*... I just noticed on every single villain card it has the text "at the start of each villain phase..." darn you English language and your crappy interpretation success.

Heh, I do not blame the English Language, but rather the writers at WotC and even more so the playtesters. This *should* have been caught early on as inconsistency in the rules, but nope, it went straight through to production and I believe it still exists in WoA.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ebert
United States
Cape Coral
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow... still in WoA? That's messed up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shacky22 wrote:
Wow... still in WoA? That's messed up.

Yeaup, take a look at:

Notice the text above the tactics, "Ashardalon activates at the start of each Villain Phase." I just double checked all the villain cards and they all say the same thing. Copy/paste error.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ebert
United States
Cape Coral
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*shakes head in disappointment*

Being that it's in the second game, makes me wonder if there's a reason for that wording...

Are the steps identical in the Villain Phase as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, no changes between games. I kind of wonder if maybe the initial design, the Encounter part was in the Exploration Phase, and thus the Villain Activation would happen as the start of the Villain Phase, and no one ever bothered to change the text...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ebert
United States
Cape Coral
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've actually wondered that myself. The Encounter part does seem to fit a lot better as the last part of the exploration phase since it references placing tiles anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.