Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like locations that offer contact tokens, leaders are too powerful in a two player game. They are easy to play down, come with free resources, and generate lots of extra victory points for existing, being replaced, and doing what you were going to do anyway. If one player draws more leaders, he or she is likely to win.

Proposed solution: like tactic cards in Battleline, I now play that you can only play 1 more leader than your opponent has played. If you have played one, and she has played zero, you have to wait until she puts one in play before you can replace your first. We keep replaced leaders underneath the new one, since you don't get through the whole deck in a two player game anyway. That way it is easy to check how many leaders each player has used.

We also only let them accumulate 3 victory points, to be consistent with the other cards and to keep their power in check a little more.

I have read variants where the leader cards are separately dealt out so each player is sure to get one, but I like this solution as it doesn't add another step during setup, keeps some of the chance involved, but mitigates a bit of the randomness in victory.

I don't know if the leader cards are also an issue with more than two players: most of my games are two player games. If they are, though, a similar rule can be adopted in those games as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For anyone interested in this idea, Ben later posted a different variant, and no longer uses this one. See: Our NEW and IMPROVED Leader House Rule That We Now Consider MANDATORY.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.