Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, no, not really. But that was said during our six player game of Pirates last night.

Mostly we play rather more substantial games, so after Pirates we split 3 and 3 to play Through the Ages and Outpost. But while waiting to see if anyone else turned up, we tried out my copy of Pirates that had been sitting unplayed for a while. And that leads to my declaration of interest, why would I have such a game and unplanned? That would be because I picked up my copy from Reiner Knizia's hall shelf after a playtest session. But I had nothing to do with the game. Unfortunately at least for me.

This isn't a review, so I'm not going to describe the game. But I will note the skill element in the cannon/sailor balance. And the major luck element in the dice. And that the usual decision in a turn is "do my own thing, or attack someone with treasure?". And the way this game was played, the usual reaction was "attack".

So I picked up the first chests, a lucky hit on a 5 treasure fort. (And I note Ravensburger have reused the chests from Marco Polo Expedition, an under-rated game.) And then on my way home I was attacked and lost the chests. But so did his attacker. And his attacker. I lost count of how many times they went round, but we had four of six ships in one hex, and more lurking nearby. But eventually someone was able to sneak into harbour and land the treasure. And meanwhile someone else had picked up something, but also got attacked. And so on.

Eventually the game was won by a player who picked up a more remote treasure that would take him over the winning line. And a quick upgrade to 5 crew while 5 away from the harbour and no one in range (too heavily cannoned up) left him with the win. I did say there was a skill element.

Maybe when we try again it'll lose it's appeal. But as long as you recognise that it's just a bit of fun, suitable for children and adults in a childish mood (we'd be the latter) it works well. With great bits (it says 3D on my box, as you do get plastic bits not cardboard flats, and the cannons in particular really are neat little things) it looks the part too.

And me? Well, I did eventually get someone else's (no, mine now) 5 point treasure home just before the game ended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Holt
England
Rayleigh
Essex
flag msg tools
This is not the cat you're looking for - some other cat maybe?
badge
tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse
mbmbmbmbmb
I was one of the other participants in that game and will confirm the amount of fun it generated amongst the participants.
(the way the game of Outpost came down to the wire on the final turn was also worthy of a report - but it isn't getting one from me ... victory snatched away at the last second, grrr.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andyholt wrote:
I was one of the other participants in that game and will confirm the amount of fun it generated amongst the participants.
(the way the game of Outpost came down to the wire on the final turn was also worthy of a report - but it isn't getting one from me ... victory snatched away at the last second, grrr.)

Hey, I was third from turn one to turn end, and never in with a chance. At least I was briefly leading in Pirates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.