Los 28
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is some recent news about the possibility of the sci-fi hit show "Firefly" returning.
Below are exerpts from a CNN article just released today, Feb 23rd :

Last week, (Nathan) Fillion, who now stars in ABC's "Castle," told Entertainment Weekly he'd love to play Mal again. Then, he ratcheted things up a notch.
"If I got $300 million from the California Lottery, the first thing I would do is buy the rights to "Firefly," make it on my own, and distribute it on the internet," Fillion told EW, a CNN.com partner.
Then, some possibly surprising online reactions started rolling in.
The next day, former "Firefly" writer Jose Molina wrote on Twitter: "For what it's worth, I've told him I'd drop what I was doing and follow."
Then, Jane Espenson, who wrote an episode, chimed in: "I'm there, if needed," she tweeted.
Jewel Staite, who played ace mechanic Kaylee on the show, had a simple answer when a Twitter follower asked if she'd be on board: "Is the Pope Catholic?"

A website, "Help Nathan Buy Firefly," popped up, under the title "Let's get the Captain his money."

These are all positive steps for the possibility of bringing the show back ! Apperently this has created a huge response/chatter over the internet and on Facebook. To read the article in full, see this link :

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/web/02/23/bring.back.firefly/in...

Join the cause and spread the word !!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 vote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
Teeny tiny problem. Isn't he under contract for a successful show on ABC already? He ain't gonna give that up. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
I've been social mediaing this all morning...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ludocrazy wrote:
... He ain't (never) gonna give that up. laugh

Oh, clever rick roll - ya got me!

(seriously, now THAT'S stuck in my head!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Ludocrazy wrote:
Teeny tiny problem. Isn't he under contract for a successful show on ABC already? He ain't gonna give that up. laugh

He might during the show's off season It's not like it's continuously filming. I'm not expecting much to come from this, honestly, but it would be totally great if it worked out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a really bad idea unless he/they can secure not only the rest of the cast, but also Joss. It's not going to happen unless a studio gets involved and is willing to pay much more $$$ than they did last time on a show that didn't perform well. Granted, they murdered it, but in their minds it didn't do well and that's the only thing that's going to matter in the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
The story has also already been told. Joss more or less put it to bed with Serenity. There are loose ends that could be tied up, but that's it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
I'm going to bet that Nathan's regretting that particular remark right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Firefly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
The story has also already been told. Joss more or less put it to bed with Serenity. There are loose ends that could be tied up, but that's it.

I disagree. Plot arcs for this type of adventure serial can be made up easily enough. Could be another civil war after Serenity or something, with them just trying to stay out of it and make their way. Government is still gonna want River back due to her abilities, regardless of the cat being out of the bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
I would be willing to pretend that Serenity never happened, or is yet to happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Firefly was brilliant. You know what made it even better? That it was dead.

No one REALLY wants to see Mick Jagger strut around stage these days and no one REALLY wants to see gammy-handed Firefly try to juggle wit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
joebelanger wrote:

No one REALLY wants to see Mick Jagger strut around stage these days and no one REALLY wants to see gammy-handed Firefly try to juggle wit.

Meh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Los 28
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KSensei wrote:
I would be willing to pretend that Serenity never happened, or is yet to happen.

Excellent idea. I think most of us who love the show, can as you say, "just pretend that Serenity never happened."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
kiss I'm developing an alternative tangent where "Mal" is the Cap'n of an intergalactic "Love Boat" with the tentative tile of: "Firefly in the KY ointment" for some "hot & steamy" cable series. Think: WEEDS "in SPACE!"
robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harkleroad
United States
Butler, PA
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I love Firefly, I think its time has passed. You can't get the same people gathered together to have that same creative energy again. I can guarantee you that no matter what--even with the apparently miraculous touch of Joss Whedon*--everyone will be bitterly disappointed.

I mean, I wish the show had continued, but $300 million or no (and c'mon--I know the fans are devoted, but three hundred mil? PLEASE)--there are too many contracts and too much time has passed for there to be any chance. Perhaps a one-off movie or a TV movie or something is passable, but I highly doubt even that.

Very few franchises have the pull and popularity to pull this off. Firefly isn't one of them.

*I am being sarcastic. That guy's kind of an overrated dick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:

Dude, Joss said if the first one made enough money there would be three films. So there is more story.

The slight little thing people seem to be glossing over is the three hundred million dollars.

I'd watch it, but I am not expecting it to happen (and he would have to do it between seasons of Castle).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
KSensei wrote:
joebelanger wrote:

Meh.

I used to be a huge fan of Dexter's Laboratory. I mean, huge.* For the longest time, I would tell anyone who would listen about the show, and bemoan that they were all reruns. "I wish they would make some new episodes!" I told them.

A few years later, Cartoon Network started releasing new shows. The writers were different. The producer was different. The frikkin' voice actor for Dexter was different. And after watching about three shows, I realized that I had wished on the monkey's paw of corporate television, and gotten my wish.

*This was during my fat years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Half the cast died in Serenity. Joss clearly wanted no continuance.

Who cares what happens next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only big thing that they wrapped up in Serenity was River's story, which had already been more than covered on the first season. There were character deaths, but I see no reason why we couldn't pick up the story 2 or 3 years before they had picked up River and her brother. I know that would be weird that it would be earlier when all the actors are older, but you know, Sci Fi, Huzzah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoB3K wrote:
... but you know, Sci Fi, Huzzah!

Nah, I'm pretty sure "Huzzah!" is fantasy. Sci-Fi is, I dunno, probably more "Frak it!" or something...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is about as insane as me wanting Stargate SG-1 to still be on in it's 18th season.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SVan wrote:
This is about as insane as me wanting Stargate SG-1 to still be on in it's 18th season.

The difference there is that SG-1 had mostly run it's course by season 5 or 6. [I watched it through to the end, but I'm not fooling myself, it was mostly just to see the likeable characters and because there's not much else out there in the way of TV SciFi]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
And it gets more interesting

http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2011/02/an-open-letter-to-na...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.