Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Twilight Struggle» Forums » General

Subject: Chess clock rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael D'Amico
United States
Milford
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that TS needs to be any more tense than it already is, but as my friend and I were playing a little while ago I floated the idea of playing the game with a chess clock.

My buddy tends to take a long time to make a move (regardless of the game being played) and I actually bought my chess clock 15 years ago when he and I were on a chess binge. I liked the added tension of being under a time limit and it helped spur him along a bit when he started to get bogged down with AP.

So I thought it might add more to the theme if we alloted a preset amount of time per turn, maybe 2 minutes per action round per person (e.g. the clock would be set for 24 minutes for the Early War and 28 minutes for each turn Mid War on, and we'd exclude the Headline Phase). Kind of give you the feel of having to make quick decisions under high pressure situations (you know, like real life).

He liked the idea. I think we'll give it a try next time we play.

4 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Really great idea. What's the penalty for going over though?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
2 minutes per AR per player seems pretty reasonable. That's about how long it takes between experienced players anyway. 20 minutes per turn is actually quite feasible and unhurried if both players are familiar with the game.

It doesn't really matter to me. If I'm playing with someone who knows what they're doing, great. If I'm playing with a newer player, I don't really care if it adds an hour to the game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
2 minutes per AR per player seems pretty reasonable. That's about how long it takes between experienced players anyway. 20 minutes per turn is actually quite feasible and unhurried if both players are familiar with the game.


200 minutes is a long game!

How about 60 min. total for each side? That's still a long game. You'll have to hit the clock when you let your opponent play his event when you play an opponent's card.

Has anyone ever tried this in a tournament?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mkiefte wrote:
JohnRayJr wrote:
2 minutes per AR per player seems pretty reasonable. That's about how long it takes between experienced players anyway. 20 minutes per turn is actually quite feasible and unhurried if both players are familiar with the game.


200 minutes is a long game!

How about 60 min. total for each side? That's still a long game. You'll have to hit the clock when you let your opponent play his event when you play an opponent's card.

Has anyone ever tried this in a tournament?


Yeah but only if it actually goes 10 turns.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
An hour per person is how tournament games are handled on Wargameroom. It's built in to the program.

Would be an ideal way to use the chess clock. If you take over your alloted hour, you lose.

Personally, I'm with John Ray Jnr on this one. I don't mind how long a game of TS takes. If I'm playing with an experienced player on Wargameroom, we can get a game done in 45 minutes total. If I'm teaching someone, it can take upwards of three hours. It's all TS though, and that means it's all good.

Cheers.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D'Amico
United States
Milford
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shauneroo wrote:
An hour per person is how tournament games are handled on Wargameroom. It's built in to the program.

Would be an ideal way to use the chess clock. If you take over your alloted hour, you lose.

Personally, I'm with John Ray Jnr on this one. I don't mind how long a game of TS takes. If I'm playing with an experienced player on Wargameroom, we can get a game done in 45 minutes total. If I'm teaching someone, it can take upwards of three hours. It's all TS though, and that means it's all good.

Cheers.
All my games have been in person. I play mainly with my friend and we have one other guy who just started to play but I don't know if he's got the bug like we do. Our games rarely, if ever, take under 2 hours; usually we take about 3. I don't think we are doing anything wrong, it's just that even with a couple dozen games under our belts, we still over think a lot of stuff that you more experienced guys might take for granted.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bindlestick Bindlestick
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Shoot, I haven't had a game come in at under 4.5 hours yet.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Weed
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
how sweet the sound...
badge
Fear The Hat !!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slinkydink wrote:
Really great idea. What's the penalty for going over though?


I would think your opponent randomly draws the card you play immediately for each action round for the remainder of the turn. That would scare me enough to come in on time. VP or influence wouldn't make much sense and would bog the game down longer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.