Craig Rose
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From FFG's website:

Free Fall is the first novel based on Fantasy Flight Games’s Android, and it tells a story of murder and conspiracy in a dystopian future. This rich universe is masterfully brought to life by New York Times Bestselling author William H. Keith, winner of the H.G. Wells Award and multiple Origins awards, and the celebrated author of over 150 novels, short stories, and other published works.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=2007
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacey Hager
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah, it's called "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have preferred an expansion over a novel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
byronczimmer wrote:
I would have preferred an expansion over a novel.

Me too. But I think it's a good sign that they're not abandoning the IP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H N
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
Lov'in FFG!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great news!

I also agree that it's very promising that FFG is doing something with the Android IP.

All of a sudden I believe there is real solid hope for an expansion for the board game.

I don't often read novels but I will buy this 'Free Fall'. Hopefully I'll enjoy it and I'll be helping the Android board game cause
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The rwinder
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Come read my Arkham Horror stories on Twitter @ArkhamHorror
badge
Image courtesy of Smizmazmarlemagne
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd prefer an expansion too, but I have to admit if there's a game out there I'd be willing to read a novel based around it would in fact be "Android". I'll have to keep an eye on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is certainly good news and I'll be getting it for sure! I don't normally buy novels based on games anymore (not since the Forgotten Realm books I used to read as a kid) but the Android universe is one that certainly appeals to me...

Hopefully this means FFG is still thinking about releasing more stuff based on this IP...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron
United States
Ramsey
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
mbmbmbmbmb
I am crazy pumped for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
As one of the guys in my gaming group put it when I told him about this (as I couldn't have said it better myself):

"maybe they do it so that people understand how the hell the game theme is supposed to work

the main character, rather than investigating, will probably be wandering around spreading random rumours about who the murderer should be

also, there'll certainly be conspiracies of evil squares, unleashed when five of them happen to be in a row"

Personally, despite how scathing I am about the game, I'm not nearly so cynical when it comes to the idea of a book. I love the concept of Android, so will certainly be buying the book and (hopefully) enjoying. I just hope it isn't written by the same guy who did the flavour text on the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue (They/She)
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sold. Android already reads like a novel chopped up into little bits and placed on cards, and I'd love to read a book set in that universe. I wonder how many characters from the board game will make cameos in the book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Denning
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
As one of the guys in my gaming group put it when I told him about this (as I couldn't have said it better myself):

"maybe they do it so that people understand how the hell the game theme is supposed to work

the main character, rather than investigating, will probably be wandering around spreading random rumours about who the murderer should be

also, there'll certainly be conspiracies of evil squares, unleashed when five of them happen to be in a row"

Personally, despite how scathing I am about the game, I'm not nearly so cynical when it comes to the idea of a book. I love the concept of Android, so will certainly be buying the book and (hopefully) enjoying. I just hope it isn't written by the same guy who did the flavour text on the cards.

Wow, this is a really good point and might pose a problem. If the book is written as a detective story then people will visit the game with the same expectation and be very disappointed. However if the book is written as dystopic work mystery aside then it will be very much like your friend said. Maybe new players will come to it with different expectations.

Either way, I think everyone who has heard about the game (and bought it like me) LOVES the setting, but damn if the game is just not as smooth as other IP like Arkham, Chaos and BSG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
bioball wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:

Wow, this is a really good point and might pose a problem. If the book is written as a detective story then people will visit the game with the same expectation and be very disappointed. However if the book is written as dystopic work mystery aside then it will be very much like your friend said. Maybe new players will come to it with different expectations.

Either way, I think everyone who has heard about the game (and bought it like me) LOVES the setting, but damn if the game is just not as smooth as other IP like Arkham, Chaos and BSG.

Arkham... smooth?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Walkley
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It might be interesting, but given the many references to Gibson's work, I find my gut reaction is I'd rather re-read him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Android is a failure as a game (for reasons that I've discussed at length and won't repeat again here) but I think its universe and characters are interesting and I would be interested in reading a book about them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Inguanzo
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great idea to flesh out the world. Android already has more written out back-story flavor text than any other board game I've played. I half suspect that they had to cut back on some of it so that the players would have enough time left to actually play the game after all that reading.

With a full length book, we can finally learn more about the moon and Mars and the bums along the edge of the conspiracy grid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.