Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to design some tokens that could be used for the idea found in this thread:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/622965/less-obvious-room...

But I first need to know how many I'd need to make. Can anyone provide me with the following statistics regarding the scenarios?

What is the highest number of rooms that contain more than one exploration card and/or a single specific card pre-seeded by the Keeper at the beginning of the game?

(To clarify: any room that is seeded with more than one card (random or not) is counted. Any room that contains only one specific (i.e, non-random) card is counted. Any room that contains only one random card is not counted).

What is the highest number of rooms that only contain a single, random exploration card?

If there are any scenarios in which there are rooms that contain zero cards, what is the maximum number of such rooms?

Many thanks for your help. Hopefully I can have the tokens designed and uploaded before the game is released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harris
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be easier to just make one counter for each room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cornbread46 wrote:

Or... put the cards on the board...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cornbread46 wrote:

I'm not sure how that would work. Presumably you mean to have the name of the room on one side of the token, and... what on the other side?

The idea is that it makes it possible for the Keeper to just seed tokens into the rooms, yet still allowing him to easily remember which pile is intended where. I can't see how having one token dedicated to each room would achieve this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Cornbread46 wrote:

No one asked for your input, thank you, variantphobe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Forster
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Cornbread46 wrote:

I'm not sure how that would work. Presumably you mean to have the name of the room on one side of the token, and... what on the other side?

The idea is that it makes it possible for the Keeper to just seed tokens into the rooms, yet still allowing him to easily remember which pile is intended where. I can't see how having one token dedicated to each room would achieve this.

but surely you want this variant to make all rooms look equally likely to have something of interest in them, yes? It's no good to make a system of counters to replace the variable card-stack sizes and then only put counters where fixed cards are. Makes it pretty obvious where the random cards are if they're sitting on the board...

A set of little envelopes with each room name would work great. No need for tokens, just seed each envelope with its cards and then pull out the appropriate envelope at the right time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
forster925 wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
Cornbread46 wrote:

but surely you want this variant to make all rooms look equally likely to have something of interest in them, yes? It's no good to make a system of counters to replace the variable card-stack sizes and then only put counters where fixed cards are. Makes it pretty obvious where the random cards are if they're sitting on the board...

A set of little envelopes with each room name would work great. No need for tokens, just seed each envelope with its cards and then pull out the appropriate envelope at the right time.

No - this is why I also asked the other two questions. There would be a set of counters numbered 1 to X that came in pairs. One of each of these pairs would go in the room containing the cards, and the other of the pair would go on top of the stack of cards in front of the Keeper.

There would also be other, generic counters that indicate the explorers should just draw one random card (and, if necessary, blank counters for rooms that contain no cards).

No need to invoke envelopes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gatman

Erlanger
Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a great idea. Any good craft store will carry those wooden disks in bags that would be perfect for this. just write the number on one side....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
markgman73 wrote:
Sounds like a great idea. Any good craft store will carry those wooden disks in bags that would be perfect for this. just write the number on one side....

Cool, but I'd rather create more professional looking stickers (that you can then stick to the disks/cardboard). But I'd still first need to know how many there need to be...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Grey Dolphin Games
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
Cornbread46 wrote:

No one asked for your input, thank you, variantphobe.

bwahaha

Although, I think it may be a bit unfair to leave the cards off the board. What I am considering doing is putting all cards except locks/obsticles so that when they reach the stack, SURPRISE! It's locked.

As with most of your ideas, I'm curious to see how it turns out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Sikele
United States
Grosse Pointe Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just curious, but have you had the chance to play at a demo? it doesn't seem like you have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's very helpful, but I'm having trouble telling where the divisions are between tiles (based on the rulebook claim that there is 1 large, 7 medium and 7 small tiles).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Sikele
United States
Grosse Pointe Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
28 stacks is what I counted, just counting the lower tiles. I recall the two hallways in the first scenario as each having a card stack on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Sikele
United States
Grosse Pointe Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
That's very helpful, but I'm having trouble telling where the divisions are between tiles (based on the rulebook claim that there is 1 large, 7 medium and 7 small tiles).
The large tile is the Foyer, the 7 medium are the squares, and the 7 small are the hallway/rectangular tiles. on the picture above just look for the groupings of photos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Sikele
United States
Grosse Pointe Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LordHellfury wrote:
Darkwolven wrote:
I'm just curious, but have you had the chance to play at a demo? it doesn't seem like you have.

That's helpful.

I wasn't trying to be negative or anything, I was just trying to point out that having played the game already would give one a different perspective on the game mechanics than if they were simply guessing/assuming how the game is played. Sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the detailed components list file that has just been uploaded, the maximum possible number of rooms in any scenario is 29.

But it would still be good to know what the maximum number of pre-set piles is for any given scenario.

Anyway, I'll be getting the game on Wednesday/Thursday, so I guess I can find out for myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really do like this idea. I'm not sure how it will pan out once the game hits the table at home, but I can see a lot of benefit from not cluttering up the board with cards.

If you make enough pairs of tokens (suitably designed to match the tile sections) it would be a comparatively simple task (I think) to transpose the card stacks to a table section close to the Keeper where they can be accessed as required.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have just finished creating the tokens and will be uploading them to the file section shortly. Just need to await approval.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.