Popular Tags: [View All]
Russell Woodland
New Zealand
Tauranga
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi fellow BGG members,

Well I am having a really hard time deciding between the following three games. They do have one thing in common and that is they are wargames.

Battles of Napoleon: The Eagle and the Lion

Battles of Westeros

Tide of Iron

All three games appeal, what I am looking for though is advise on the three games. I can definetly buy one of them, and quite possibly two of them.

I have a friend who may sell me the core set of Tide of Iron and the Desert Expansion.

So I will leave it over to you fellow geeks. Come on help me out please

Thanks in Advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
None of the above. BoN: too complex. BoW: Too difficult to assemble. ToI: too long a setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have to disagree with BoN being too complex, as I've just played it a few times, mostly solo, without the comprehensive FAQ out, yet, and somehow figured everything out just fine! And there are several optional rules for more depth once you learn to play! (And somehow from your choice, complexity/assembly/setup don't seem to be a concern for you!)

I think between ToI and BoN it's just your preference on themes. Both seem to have their fans. I haven't played ToI.

BoW turns me off, just because the reviews of it seem to be tepid, and I have no idea about the story. I guess if you are into that theme, then it might contend with the other two, but it never would for me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Berry
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with the Conflict of Heroes series instead, solid solid wargame, i think better than tide of iron.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Woodland
New Zealand
Tauranga
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ralpher wrote:
None of the above. BoN: too complex. BoW: Too difficult to assemble. ToI: too long a setup.

Not exactly helpful. Don't mind complex, I am used to playing titles such as wilderness war, advanced squad leader, paths of glory to name a few. So I would be fine with the complexness of BON

As for Westeros, assembly don't care. I come from a war-game miniature table top back ground. Plus I stickered well over 1500 blocks for the commands and colors system.

As for setup time for tide of iron, used to FFG games that require a little more time to set up. And when we game, we always set the evening aside so if a game takes a little to set up not a worry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Woodland
New Zealand
Tauranga
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
I'd have to disagree with BoN being too complex, as I've just played it a few times, mostly solo, without the comprehensive FAQ out, yet, and somehow figured everything out just fine! And there are several optional rules for more depth once you learn to play! (And somehow from your choice, complexity/assembly/setup don't seem to be a concern for you!)

I think between ToI and BoN it's just your preference on themes. Both seem to have their fans. I haven't played ToI.

BoW turns me off, just because the reviews of it seem to be tepid, and I have no idea about the story. I guess if you are into that theme, then it might contend with the other two, but it never would for me!

Thanks for your input. I did hear about the FAQ for BON. It does surprise me that FFG and Nexus are taking so long to get the FAQ out especially when another expansion is planned already.

Good to hear about the optional rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Woodland
New Zealand
Tauranga
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuttle757 wrote:
I'd go with the Conflict of Heroes series instead, solid solid wargame, i think better than tide of iron.

Thanks. But when one of the guys already owns conflict of heroes storms of steel, I see no point doubling up on a game/series at the moment.

Although looking forward to playin COH.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoW involves gluing figures to bases. Tons of figures. Stickers are nothing by comparison.
ToI takes about an hour to set up a game. Then there's the breakdown time. I would venture that's a large reason your friend is getting rid of it.

I think the problem with BoN (as well as ToI) is the complexity does not improve gameplay. Nor is it the kind of complexity that enlightens or invites study. It's just clunky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuttle757 wrote:

I second this!!!

CoH all the way!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nagato Fujibayashi

Athens
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, ToI setup lasting one hour?

Are you doing anything else at the same time? It takes me about 20 minutes personally, my set is well organized and after couple of setups you develop a method to do it fast. One hour is just too long!

I do not know about the other two games, haven't played them(and in the case of Battles of Westeros, never will) so I can't speak for them. But ToI is a good game. I will also buy Conflict of Heroes but won't get rid of ToI because of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john f stup
United States
damascus
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
i have both TOI and COH and both are good games but i would like to expand TOI but have no interest in expanding COH's and might sell it. anybody interested?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.