Recommend
23 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Puzzle Strike» Forums » Rules

Subject: Updated Rules, v5.1 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Sirlin
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Hi everyone, here's an updated version of the rules for Puzzle Strike. The URL for the latest rules is always www.sirlin.net/ps/rules

This update contains no functional changes to the game, only clarifications. Those include:

Rewritten section about counter-crashing with more detail. This is the biggest revision, it should answer a lot of the questions that keep coming up.

Different suggested set of chips for your first game.

A note that getting +action means you can use it whenever you want during your action phase, it doesn't have to be immediate.

A extra note that blue shields are reacts for red fists.

An extra phrase that mentions chips used in the +piggy bank mechanic must be chips you didn't play this turn (you can only piggy bank a chip from you hand and it wouldn't be in your hand if you played it, but the extra note just to be safe)

A mention that if Midori's Dragon Form would have him ante 2-gems but there are no 2-gems left in the bank, you should improvise to still have him ante.

Mention that dead players don't return their chips to the bank. (That would slow things down too much.)

There are many places that mention your gem pile must TOTAL (meaning add up to) 10 or more for you to lose, but in one place it said "10 gems." Now changed to match all the other mentions (must be a sum of 10 or more).

FAQ entry that Valerie's Chromatic Orb does not give her +$1.

FAQ entry that Jaina's Unstable Power does give her +$2 (it has different wording on purpose that allows that). Also, it is subject to the same rule as a Double Crash Gem where it gives only +$1 if you had only a single gem in your gem pile to crash.

FAQ entry for Bubble Shield mentions that it stops a single 1-gem (not an entire 3-gem or something) and that it does trigger even if the opponent crashes a 4-gem at you (it's not a purple shield reaction, so it's unusual in that it actually works against a 4-gem).


Thanks for all the feedback that allowed me to improve the rules, and hopefully that counter-crash section will clear some things up.
26 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update. Is there anyway to make a printer friendly one or one that uses layers so we can turn off the background, etc?

Michael
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Huzzah! Very good to hear Sirlin. I think you fixed pretty much every major issue people had That starting bank is definitely better too. For new players Arg + RA is very frustrating.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

This is great. Much much clearer. Bravo!

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Gordo
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sirlin wrote:
Hi everyone, here's an updated version of the rules for Puzzle Strike. The URL for the latest rules is always www.sirlin.net/ps/rules


And there was much rejoicing! laugh

Sirlin wrote:

A extra note that blue shields are reacts for red fists.


Two comments about this:

1. Midori's Blue Shield is the obvious exception to this, which the "Rule Lawyers" will love.

which brings me to ask:

2. With this new clarification, Does this mean that we will not see any other conditional Blue Shield reactions like Rigorous Training in future (future) expansions? Not that I mind, just curious. And if so, maybe we can see more Red/Blue chips like RA, so we can have some fun interactions with Attack/React back and forth.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pseudo nym
msg tools
mbmbmb
evilgordo wrote:
Sirlin wrote:

A extra note that blue shields are reacts for red fists.


Two comments about this:

1. Midori's Blue Shield is the obvious exception to this, which the "Rule Lawyers" will love.

which brings me to ask:

2. With this new clarification, Does this mean that we will not see any other conditional Blue Shield reactions like Rigorous Training in future (future) expansions? Not that I mind, just curious. And if so, maybe we can see more Red/Blue chips like RA, so we can have some fun interactions with Attack/React back and forth.


The expansion has a purple shield that responds to the end of the action phase. Yeah, really. (It's a really awesome chip concept, but why is that a purple shield? Yes, it needs to be a purple banner to do the job it's intended to do, but putting a purple shield on it only confuses things further.)

And yes, the rules shouldn't say that blue shields can only be used to react to red fists... Because it's obviously not true. Unfortunately, there's not even enough room in that text box to put the word "usually" in there.

Additionally, from the section "Main and Reaction"

Quote:
Reaction refers to what it can do as a reaction to something an opponent does on his turn.


You can also react to things your opponent does on your turn. See most blue shields in response to Really Annoying played as a response, and counter-counter-crashing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sirlin
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Bridger, thanks!

Evil gordo: Midori's Rigorous Training is an exception to the blue shield thing, yeah. The reason to add the note about blue shield / red fist is that in general that's how it works and a lot of people were missing that the basic ideas is blue shield goes with red fist. I'm hoping this note helps people not wildly misplay the general case, even if Rigorous Training still is an edge case.

The expansion could have other types of interaction, but maybe we can figure out how to handle icons better by then? Shield is supposed to mean "react," so you can immediately know if the chip in your hand is a react or not. The expansion chip mentioned that is a purple shield reacting to the end of the action phase is a great example. It does a "purple thing" and it's a react, so it's a purple shield. But purple shield is supposed to mean that it reacts to "someone sending you gems." So we're kind of screwed on what icon to use for it. It should be "a purple shield" and also "something other than a purple shield." I have no good answer for that yet.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Gordo
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sirlin wrote:
The expansion could have other types of interaction, but maybe we can figure out how to handle icons better by then? Shield is supposed to mean "react," so you can immediately know if the chip in your hand is a react or not. The expansion chip mentioned that is a purple shield reacting to the end of the action phase is a great example. It does a "purple thing" and it's a react, so it's a purple shield. But purple shield is supposed to mean that it reacts to "someone sending you gems." So we're kind of screwed on what icon to use for it. It should be "a purple shield" and also "something other than a purple shield." I have no good answer for that yet.


It is good to hear that there will be some other kinds of Reaction triggers other than Fist.

As for the expansion chip...I'm sure it has already been mentioned elsewhere between you and playtesters, but isn't that chip similar to RT? It does something triggered by a purple chip (playing in this case instead of buying), but not a Crash, so it wouldn't it be blue banner/shield? It helps reinforce the precedence of the 'edge case' established by RT. modest I dunno, like I said, I'm sure it has already been addressed...anyway thanks for the updated rules!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Robins
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate to be the difficult one. But I have to make sure, because I thought I was clear with the initial rules, and now I feel like I may not be clear about crashing and counter crashing gems at all...

My gem pile has 2 x 1 gems. My Oponents pile has 1 x 2 gem.

It is his turn. He crashes that two. He puts the 2 gem back in the supply and sends 2 x 1 gems to me. We treat these as in limbo for the time being. Now I counter crash by crashing one of my 1's. I negate one of the two coming to me. In the end, I still have 2 x 1 gems in my gem pile. Or do I have 3 x 1?

In other words, the gem of my own that I counter crashed is returned to the supply along with the 1 gem (in limbo) that it negated. Then I gain the 1 back puting me at a total of 2.

Or does the counter crashing just negate the specific quantity of incoming gems? i.e. the 1 I counter crash negates one of the incoming two and then that means I gain 1 putting me at 3 x 1. If this is the case, then I've been playing all wrong... (which is not necessarily a bad thing, just something to be fixed the next time I play).

Sorry if I'm reopening the can of worms, I just thought I was doing it right before and now I'm nots so sure.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some Donkus
Canada
flag msg tools
You destroyed a 1 in your pile. This negated one of the 1s that you were going to take from your opponent's crash. Then you take the leftover 1. You should be at 2.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
NSlikster wrote:
I hate to be the difficult one. But I have to make sure, because I thought I was clear with the initial rules, and now I feel like I may not be clear about crashing and counter crashing gems at all...

My gem pile has 2 x 1 gems. My Oponents pile has 1 x 2 gem.

It is his turn. He crashes that two. He puts the 2 gem back in the supply and sends 2 x 1 gems to me. We treat these as in limbo for the time being. Now I counter crash by crashing one of my 1's. I negate one of the two coming to me. In the end, I still have 2 x 1 gems in my gem pile. Or do I have 3 x 1?


You had it right the first time
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Robins
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Phew and thanks for the follow-up.

I'm glad to know I've been playing right. I admit, I had to reference the rules for both Yomi and Puzzle Strike a bit in the beginning. But for me, at least, I didn't have any real issues learning either game from the rules.

I'm really enjoying both games quite a bit and exapnsions, however far off ... yay!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Friedberg
United States
Warsaw
IN
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
A note that getting +action means you can use it whenever you want during your action phase, it doesn't have to be immediate.


Where was this note? Does that mean that, for instance, if I use gem essence, I can play those actions out of sequence? Or of I use speed of the fox, I can draw my chip BEFORE my two yellow actions? I thought that was the point of the 'do actions in order' rule...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
colin langton
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
Yeah, I was misled myself because the "do everything in order" rule rarely even comes up otherwise, especially in the original 2nd edition, so I thought the emphasis of that rule only made sense if it applied to arrows too. I had a mental model where arrows were like subroutines you had to go aside and do before you came back and did the other stuff. Nope, turns out that actions are kind of a currency that you can spend anytime during your action phase. I think this was obvious to people who've played Dominion, but I hadn't when I was first playing Puzzle Strike.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.